Thread: Interesting old mandolin and piano music book

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Default Interesting old mandolin and piano music book

don't remeber where I got this (it was long, looong before I started playing mandolin), but it seems good. Anyone seen this one before? If anyone is interested I will post pics of the pages. I don't read music well enough to play anything in here, but if people want to take a stab at some of the arrangements and post them it would be very cool to hear them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	131792
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

2. The following members say thank you to Ben Cooper for this post:

Default Re: Interesting old mandolin and piano music book

Hey Ben,

Thanks for posting this. It really is interesting. Could you please post a shot of the table of contents? I'd like to see what types of pieces it contains.

Thanks,

Bob

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	131796
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

Wow, Ben, this looks like a cool book. I'd be interested in seeing some of the pages as long as we're not violating any copyright laws. Anybody here want to chime in on whether that is an issue? What's the publication date? It looks pretty old.

Bob

I do not know the publication date as the cover is missing. No dates inside except for the occassional date of when a piece was written. I am going to guess that it is from the early to mid 1900's.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

I just did some more research and it may have been originally published in 1890. I have also seen modern reproductions which can be downloaded for free. So, as soon as I can get my scanner up and running I will post pics of the sheet music!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

Song number 11 Sonatina for Mandolin by Beethoven looks interesting. Anyone know the tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Seahorse View Post
    Song number 11 Sonatina for Mandolin by Beethoven looks interesting. Anyone know the tune?
    I will get that one posted as soon as I can.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

Blog Entries

Yep there are two he wrote for a countess during a visit to Prague and there's reckoned to be another lost judging by references to it in other places. If you check IMSLP under Wo043 and Wo044 you'll be able to get a look. The adagio 43a is very accessible relying on the ability to hold back and create tension rather than any great technical ability. Loads of versions on YouTube.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Yep there are two he wrote for a countess during a visit to Prague and there's reckoned to be another lost judging by references to it in other places. If you check IMSLP under Wo043 and Wo044 you'll be able to get a look. The adagio 43a is very accessible relying on the ability to hold back and create tension rather than any great technical ability. Loads of versions on YouTube.
    Actually there are four of these:
    • WoO 43a: Sonatina for mandolin and harpsichord
    • WoO 43b: Adagio for mandolin and harpsichord
    • WoO 44a: Sonatina for mandolin and piano
    • WoO 44b: Andante and variations for mandolin and harpsichord

The C major sonatine is the most played and well-known. Here is one rendition:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cooper View Post
    don't remeber where I got this (it was long, looong before I started playing mandolin), but it seems good. Anyone seen this one before? If anyone is interested I will post pics of the pages. I don't read music well enough to play anything in here, but if people want to take a stab at some of the arrangements and post them it would be very cool to hear them.
    Thanks, Ben. There are some interesting pieces there I would love to take a look at. If you can scan this book that would be great.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Actually there are four of these:
    • WoO 43a: Sonatina for mandolin and harpsichord
    • WoO 43b: Adagio for mandolin and harpsichord
    • WoO 44a: Sonatina for mandolin and piano
    • WoO 44b: Andante and variations for mandolin and harpsichord

The C majori sonatine is the most played and well-known. Here is one rendition:

I make that two Jim as In my version they go together as a/b. Not sure if that's just because of when they were written or how they're catalogued.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    I make that two Jim as In my version they go together as a/b. Not sure if that's just because of when they were written or how they're catalogued.
    Hmmm... I have heard these performed as separate pieces. In fact the last one is least heard. In fact the last one has separate movements. I guess it doesn't really matter except how you perform them. IMHO each can stand alone.

I thought this looked similar to some downloaded PDF files I had. I was wrong, but a very quick Google turned up an online PDF version, downloadable as individual tunes or the all the tunes in one file:

http://sheetmusicpoint.com/collectio...lin-and-piano/

On the sheetmusicpoint.com website, you can look up all sorts of public domain pieces, and search by author, title, keyword.

There are lots of old song books and method books printed long enough ago to have drifted into public domain, and a lot have been digitized. One of my hobbies is going to the library in every city I visit, and scoping out the music scores. I've found a lot of cool things I didn't know existed (David Grisman's "Ten tunes in Nine Keys", for example, with lingual distension exercises to boot!) and lots of old tune books. Many of the older books I found, from the 1880's through 1920's have found their way online in very readable PDF copies. For a nice start, peruse John Goodin's Mandotopia Site. He's got a bunch of old books digitized at:

http://www.contratopia.com/mtopia/mandolinPD3.htm

For a whole bunch of neat notes, direct your fingers to the International Music Score Library Project (IMSLP). Looking just now, they boast "90,430 works · 308,798 scores · 34,137 recordings · 12,450 composers · 328 performers." You can search via a variety of ways, and if you choose the "featured instruments" page, you can select mandolin, mandola, or mandocello. Here's the mandolin page:

http://imslp.org/index.php?title=Cat...plate:Catintro

It is very neat that you have the original score. Enjoy playing it!

And the answer to your question is "Yes, I'd play a whole lot better if I spent all the time I spent searching for music actually playing it."
    Rob Ross
    Apple Valley, Minne-SOH-tah

1996 Flatiron A5-Performer, 1915 Gibson F-2 (loaned to me by a friend), 2008 Kentucky Master KM-505 A-Model
    1925 Bacon Peerless tenor banjo (Irish tuning), 1985 Lloyd Laplant F-5, 2021 Ibanez PFT2 Tenor Guitar (GDAE)
    and of course, the 1970 Suzuki-Violin-Sha Bowl Back Taterbug

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob Ross For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks for that link to the sheetmusicpoint Rob I' never come across that one before. (Saves Ben a load of scanning too )
    Eoin

Well, wish I had seen that before I scanned them!! LOL
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100