Thread: Bill Monroe's Published Lyrics

Default Bill Monroe's Published Lyrics

Is there (are there) any site(s) out there where the genuine published lyrics to Bill's songs can be accessed.
    Most of the 'Lyrics' sites I know of seem to be a compilation of what people think his lyrics are. I'dl love to see the real deal.

For instance...True Life Blues:

I hate to see the sun sink low,
    Just for a cause?... Just 'fore I called?
    You ought to know.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Bill Monroe's Published Lyrics

I suspect that there is no source for 'genuine published lyrics' to most of Monroe's songs. I don't believe that a lyric sheet needs to be 'filed' anywhere in order to establish copyright, etc.

I've found www.bluegrasslyrics.com to be a decent crowd sourced site.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

3. The following members say thank you to BradKlein for this post:

Thanks Brad. It never crossed my mind that there might not be official published lyrics. I just figured tthat back in the day, there would have been published sheet music available for sale to the public. More products = more potential revenue.

The site you linked does seem to have more believable lyrics than some of the sites I've searched.

There were various songbooks printed for sale at festivals - although, who knows if anyone carefully checked the lyrics. You might make a hobby of collecting them on ebay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BillMonroeSongbook.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	131848

I've heard one bluegrass boy tell of going into the National Life & Accident Insurance Company building (parent company of the Opry) and learning Bill's lyrics after getting the gig off of their record collection. Knowing that he'd be expected to sing lead on any song Bill called out from any time in his career!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Doesn't the copyright office have lyric sheets when they are filed? A friend of mine has sent them in when he files them, how else can they be copyrighted? Granted, finding them may prove a task but, that's how copyright works isn't it? Ask the Gaye family lawyer.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett