Thread: Bad Company

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Default Bad Company

Bad Company did a live version of their song "Feel Like Makin' Love" with mandolin intro and verse parts. I think I have the link below. Anyone have or know of tab for this?

http://youtu.be/mQfTe6ta36I

Thanks!!
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

2. The following members say thank you to Ben Cooper for this post:

Default Re: Bad Company

I know the basic chords, but am looking for help with the more "intricate" parts.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

Most of the time he just looks to be playing the basic verse chords in simple form D 2002 and G 0023. I used to play this on acoustic guitar, the intro (the following are guitar chords for the top 4 strings) was 0 14 15 14, 0 12 13 12, 0 7 8 7, 0 7 8 7 (first time around) and then 0 14 15 14, 0 12 13 12, 0 7 8 7, 0 2 3 2 (second time around). That works out as D, C, G, G, D C, G, D. With some pinky hammer ons to make them sus4s. I Imagine a similar progression translated to the lower frets of the mandolin would result in something like he's playing. It might be as simple as x055 x033 xo23, x055 x033 x023 x002?

5. The following members say thank you to Julian Morris for this post:

Well it is coming along nicely, I think. when I get it "performable" I will record and post.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

Blog Entries

Love that video. Who needs a double neck?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cooper View Post
    Well it is coming along nicely, I think. when I get it "performable" I will record and post.
    Do it! I have just done my first ever YouTube video to show something I tabbed here on Mandolin Cafe (A Happy Meeting in Glory, see the old time sub-forum). It took about 15 minutes (10 takes, woops, stage fright!). I can't believe how easy it was.

10. The following members say thank you to Julian Morris for this post:

Hello Ben....Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin Love" is one of my favorite song's. Howard Leese playing the mandolin makes it even more interesting. I have searched every where to find the mandolin tabs - chords that Howard is playing through out the song. I can't find them any where. Can you help me? I would appreciate it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQfTe6ta36I
    Bridgid

Fender FM-53S

"Music is what feelings sound like."

Hello Julian....I see what your explaining in regards to the mandolin chords but I'm getting a bit confused. Can you simplify this even more? I really would like to learn to play this song on my mandolin. Thank You!

Last edited by i3_bridge; Aug-16-2015 at 1:42pm. Reason: Wrong URL
    Bridgid

Fender FM-53S

13. The following members say thank you to i3_bridge for this post:

That was kind of cool.
    ANd it's the sort of thing I've been trying to do myself--take songs & crate mandolin parts for them.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

15. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by i3_bridge View Post
    Hello Julian....I see what your explaining in regards to the mandolin chords but I'm getting a bit confused. Can you simplify this even more? I really would like to learn to play this song on my mandolin. Thank You!
    I'm not Julian, but hopefully can shed some light on this for you on the easy part, and then can get into more detail once you're ready.

The verses only use two chords: D (2002) and G (0023) spelled from low to high. Those numbers refer to either open strings or where they are fretted. It's 8 beats of a D chord, and then 8 beats of a G chord, and then repeat.

The chorus has 12 beats of the D chord, and then 2 of a C chord (0230), and 2 of a G chord.

That happens three times.

On the fourth time, there are 8 beats of the D chord, then 4 beats of the C chord, 4 beats of the G chord, and then one beat of D before resting for 15 more beats.

Then back to the verse.

That's as basic as it gets. Once you have that down, I can explain what is happening in the extended mando intro, but only once you have it down.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

17. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    I'm not Julian, but hopefully can shed some light on this for you on the easy part, and then can get into more detail once you're ready.

The verses only use two chords: D (2002) and G (0023) spelled from low to high. Those numbers refer to either open strings or where they are fretted. It's 8 beats of a D chord, and then 8 beats of a G chord, and then repeat.

The chorus has 12 beats of the D chord, and then 2 of a C chord (0230), and 2 of a G chord.

On the fourth time, there are 8 beats of the D chord, then 4 beats of the C chord, 4 beats of the G chord, and then one beat of D before resting for 15 more beats.

Then back to the verse.

That's as basic as it gets. Once you have that down, I can explain what is happening in the extended mando intro, but only once you have it down.

Good Morning Explorer....Thank You for your instructions. I'm working on playing this particular song and I will do my best. I hope to progress on to the extended mandolin introduction. Now....about those beats and and strum pattern. "I Got This!"
    Bridgid

Fender FM-53S

Quote Originally Posted by zedmando View Post
    That was kind of cool.
    ANd it's the sort of thing I've been trying to do myself--take songs & crate mandolin parts for them.
    Zedmando....I can relate to what your saying *thumbs up*
    Bridgid

Fender FM-53S

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

Then back to the verse.

In the chorus it's worth hammering on the A note i.e play 0002 and immediately hammer on to 2002. Just for the first beat of the passage.

Hmmm the more I listen to the original the more I think the chorus is
    C-D ... C-D ... C-D ... G . F .
    C-D ... C-D ... C-D ... C . G .
    D . . .