Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiddler's Fakebook - Accurate?

Default Re: Fiddler's Fakebook - Accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    One man's "Zeke" is another man's "Zeak." Variations happen. It's only human.
    One man's Tweak is another man's Twerk... it's all about interpretation...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Smart View Post
    .. It's not like there's an official right way to play it." He replied, "Oh yes there is. Haven't you ever heard of the Fiddler's Fakebook?"
    Right. This is a bit much of an ecumenical approach.

The FF is a codified product of collated material from widely varying sources.

Blog Entries

"Authoritative versions." In folk music? Somebody doesn't get the concept. But then I have a friend who's an old "folkie" who practically swallowed his tongue when I pointed out that rap is folk music.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

I've been having the same issue with fakebooks all my life. They often are close but rarely 100% accurate for what I hear played around - and that goes for any style (jazz etc). The best bet I've found is to learn the printed music fairly well, then listen to a recording and see what notes are missing or added. I've been using the Amazing Slower Downer for a bit now - extremely helpful for this type of practice.

Personally, I've found the fiddler's fakebook adds notes compared to what I hear in jams - so learning the fakebook version may actually help a lot with solo ideas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    A fiddle has beer-stains...
    Yea and a violin has wine stains.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Great thread here! I'm still new to playing Folk/Old Time/BG, etc. and sometimes struggle with the many variations in the melody of the songs. I have four books close by with some of the same songs but not a one of them is identical on the melody. Even better is when I look on the internet and no two versions are the same! I know this happens in other genres as well, for instance, I prefer using Benson's version of Masquerade over Leon Russell's. Still, the concept of the melody seems more liberal in "folky" styles due to the way it has been passed down.
    95 Pontiac Bonneville
    2013 GE Percolator
    No. 2 Pencil

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H View Post
    IOW, there is no one "right" or "most accurate" way to play most of these tunes. There are as many variants as there are people playing them.
    I agree with the general sentiment, but this does vary by traditional music genre.

From what I've seen and heard, hanging out on the periphery of my fiddler S.O's workshops with Scottish and Cape Breton fiddlers and pipers, there is a sense in this particular style that "you WILL learn this famous (or first written-down) version."

You learn that first, as a gateway. And then you can do anything you want. But you need to know that iconic version. Especially with things derived from pipe tunes by famous Scottish pipers, and original fiddle compositions by famous Cape Breton fiddlers. One doesn't mess with a Gordon Duncan pipe tune lightly!

It doesn't hamper the "folk tradition" once you get one of those tunes under your fingers, But, you'd better know the iconic version too. This idea doesn't seem to be as closely followed in Irish trad music circles, although of course there are standard reference versions there too. But maybe not as many, and less adherence to fixed tune settings.

Scottish trad (and the related Cape Breton music) might be a tiny bit closer to Classical music in that respect, although I'm sure I'll get jumped on, if that analogy is taken too far.

Anticipate 5 and 10 and 20 and - years from now - after decades of youtube and whatever supplants it. Worlds are changing fast - while we folks are debating this or that over trad this and that, waves and schools and innovations and kids are taking that s - - - and infusing and melding and doing whatever can be done - then, feeding it back and building again and . . . here we go again whoosh. It's a helluva fun time to be a musician.

My body wants to play the old stuff, but my mind wants to get crazy.