Thread: New Stewmac/Red Diamond Kits

Default New Stewmac/Red Diamond Kits

Stewmac now appears to offer better mandolin kits than I remember them having before their site update (not sure if they're actually new or the same kits they've had for a while, but the presentation is definitely better, at least.) These kits are advertised as being made under the guidance of Red Diamond's Don MacRostie. Anyone have any experience with these kits or any relation/comparison to Red Diamond tone or specs? I'm tempted to try some experimenting with the A design, which, due to the featureless soundboard, can be used to make an f-holed of oval-holed instrument, or possibly one with another soundhole design.

--Tom

Default Re: New Stewmac/Red Diamond Kits

I built a Stewmac F5 kit for my first build about 15 years ago. The kit doesn't look different to me from what I can see on the website.
    I thin Don was overseeing the kit production from day one?
    It is a great kit, a little expensive now, but the materials are great quality. Things like the precut dovetail are a big help.
    It's hard to say how close it will be to a Red Diamond as the soundboards are only rough carved and not to final dimensions. There are a lot of variables that can change the outcome and sound as you graduate the soundboards and tone bars.

I built an A5 kit about 10 years ago and I'm very happy with the quality, and am current building an F5 (not quite a kit but out of Stew Mac parts). The top and back plates are pre-carved but are quite thick. That's a good thing if you want to graduate them yourself. I have two carved tops that are pretty different, one is much "stiffer" and has quite a higher "ping" when I tap it than the other. The quality of the final product is really going to depend on what you do with it, you really can't just glue it together, so the Red Diamond connection doesn't mean much to me.
    Rob

The plate carving is definitely think enough to make an oval hole, but you will need to use a raised fingerboard with a 15th fret crosspiece that is what the kit comes with.

I finished one about a year ago (needed some professional help on the neck) and am very happy with it. I don't think that there has been any recent design change. As others have noted, there will a high correlation between the time you put into its construction and the sound/playability you get out of it. Not a weekend project.

Don is mighty helpful if you call his shop.