Thread: Research from MIT confirms: f-holes are loudest

Default Research from MIT confirms: f-holes are loudest

One of my former Professors (I took "Mechanical Systems, Signal Processing, and Stochastics" from him a few years ago) has published research confirming the efficiency and power of elongated f-holes. The research focuses on violins, but I would imagine these principles should hold true for mandolins as well.

Interesting stuff!

http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2015/violi...tic-power-0210

Blog Entries

Default Re: Research from MIT confirms: f-holes are loudest

I wonder how many oval-hole violins he tested...

guess I should read the article :/
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Blog Entries

The four earliest designs have the bridges offset from the center of the holes, whereas the latter two are centered with the F-holes or otherwise. I think this is a contributing factor however they make no mention of the top-place as a soundboard, only the back.

They seem to be ignoring the concept of 'top plate as soundboard' and attributing the volume &c. to the back plate. Is this correct?

Violins must be at least a little different considering the vertical post jammed inside against the top and bottom under the bridge, no?
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by theCOOP View Post

Violins must be at least a little different considering the vertical post jammed inside against the top and bottom under the bridge, no?
    Violin sound posts are carefully fit and placed to the interior of the violin, not "jammed".

Also the post is behind the bridge not under it.

Sorry for nit picking but it needs to be said.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles E. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

As I have learned from café experts - the relevance of this to the mandolin is questionable. Though the F hole shape is the same or similar, the top of the mandolin and the top of the violin work differently.

My understanding is that the exact shape of the f holes is much more important to the violin, while for the mandolin their shape isn't critical - allowing a degree of aesthetic creativity.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The back plate reference probably has more relevance, but I don't know if more "pliable" back plate creates more volume or just better coupling.

Volume in a mandolin, like a guitar, is all relative anyway. A mandolin that is overly bassy, will obviously sound louder in the bassy region, whereas a mandolin that is more balanced may sound louder, when in fact it isn't - it just sounds better in the region of sound we like to hear.

I'll take a better tone and less volume over louder and less tone every time.

Violin people tend to be extremly fussy about their instruments and seem to be afraid of making changes to them lest the sound change.

Well, except for these guys here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adwell View Post
    Violin people tend to be extremly fussy about their instruments and seem to be afraid of making changes to them lest the sound change.

Well, except for these guys here.

I don't think I ever knew that Salvador Dali played violin.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

I think of it as being about balance, and vibration creating air flow. I also think about extreme experiments that might cause instruments to explode due to pressure. And the small f-holes resist, in turbulence. Which kinda says that the music is turbulence. I just get impressions; a bit stronger than thoughts. Balance is the thickness, shape, material. Bottom line, it's a complete package; but the next is different; and that's not really important. It's a unique generalization in the hands of the meditative master. It must be felt and imagined and allowed to fly. It will not follow the rules. It's a living thing and can evolve or degenerate. It is a wild thing; with many aspects combined. If listened to, it will speak a mysterious language.

I can't express this if I try to make intellectual sense of it; it's more emotional, spiritual. The intellect is too slow to keep up with it. So, I don't care to make sense - that would be a mere idea. I suppose I should read the article; but I have been reading too much lately. I prefer how it feels to my wandering wonderful mind; and the sound is wonderful. (of course). But that's only the target; the process is it.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

del double post
    Last edited by MysTiK PiKn; Mar-23-2015 at 3:03am. Reason: dbl post -delete

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    So, I don't care to make sense - that would be a mere idea. I suppose I should read the article.
    Read the article, it's interesting.