Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the Gibson F-9 compare to the Gibson F-5G?

Default How does the Gibson F-9 compare to the Gibson F-5G?

I have been looking at getting another mandolin this summer and will be buying used.
    In the classifieds I have noticed the two models go in and out and wondered if the F-5G is worth the extra 1K. I am most interested in tone and volume not appointments. Will the F-9 give me the same tone and volume as the F-5G?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Default Re: How does the Gibson F-9 compare to the Gibson F-5G?

I have played both, although it has been several years. They were both outstanding mandolins. There are always going to good and not-so-good examples of every model, but I think overall the differences are going to be minor. If I was deciding between those two, I would go for the F-9. I seldom read anything negative about them. All of the comments I have read have been that they all have that Gibson sound.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

3. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I've owned a 03 f9 and a 01 flatiron festival f which is for all intensive purposes a Nashville f5g. I sold the f9 when I got the flat. I've played some other 9 models and seen similar trends. They have a fabulous low end great thumps bass and strong mids. The high end can be muddier. The flat excelled in the mids and highs with a decent low end. But really great blue grassy mids and highs, more of the traditional gibson sound I would day. If you don't care about the name a flatiron could be a good option. I still own a 2000 flat a5 and think it's great and Classic.

5. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

Is it true that F-9's have a flat fingerboard, while the F5G is radiused?
    Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Both the F9 and 5FG have flat fingerboards. The noticeable difference is the top binding on the 5FG.

The only reason I didnt get an F9 when I got my 5FG was that at the time the F9 did not have fingerboard markers and I need those. But now they do come with fingerboard markers.

The 5FG can come with more custom features as they vary the features a bit more on these from time to time (options may include gold hardware, jumbo frets, more burst, ivroid as opposed to white binding, occasional back binding). Also, I think more 5FG's are signed than are F9's, but Harvey has signed some of both models. The significance of the signature is still a bit of a mystery, but it can't hurt.

Individual mandolins vary, but in general these are great mandolins and despite the high profile name either model can still be a great value.
    Last edited by Astro; Mar-23-2015 at 7:21am.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

A few years ago, I went to the Gibson Showcase in Nashville. They had about 20 mandolins available, mostly the higher-end stuff. The F-9 they had there was the best sounding of the bunch. Really amazed how good that mandolin sounded.

I have an F-9, but have not been able to compare it directly to an F5G. One of the differences that has not been mentioned is that the current F-9 uses rosewood for the bridge and fretboard instead of ebony, but it sure seems to work. Mine sounds like a Gibson should, at least to my ear. It is very loud with deep lows, cutting mids, and bell-like highs. Mine is also signed, and smells great too!
    -Jim

10. The following members say thank you to jclover for this post:

I'd go for the F5G (I'm biased, I own one). When I was buying mine I just liked the more finished feel of the mandolin.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I'd love to play a new f9 as I have only played Derrington era models. I hear the Harveys are great and there have been a few good deals in the classifieds. I played a Harvey f5g and it was solid but not totally different from the Derringtons I've played.

Quote Originally Posted by jclover View Post
    I have an F-9, but have not been able to compare it directly to an F5G. One of the differences that has not been mentioned is that the current F-9 uses rosewood for the bridge and fretboard instead of ebony, but it sure seems to work...
    That was true in years past but actually, as of sometime in 2014 or 2015, I believe the 5FG's now are also using rosewood instead of ebony. I doubt many of us could tell a sonic difference though.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    That was true in years past but actually, as of sometime in 2014 or 2015, I believe the 5FG's now are also using rosewood instead of ebony. I doubt many of us could tell a sonic difference though.
    Thanks Astro, I was not aware of the change. Seems the modern F-9/F-5G are even more similar than I thought. That would make the differences finish and inlays. BTW, my 2014 F-9 does have top binding.
    -Jim

I prefer the F-9, because it doesn't have the fretboard extension. The F-9s I have played sounded and played very much like any F-5G that I have played. I don't need the bling or the Florida extension. F-9 is a great value for my needs.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itstooloudMike For This Useful Post:

I heard a rumor, from a reliable source not willing to be attributed, that the bodies of Gibson mandolins are pretty much interchangeable for all the models up to the most expensive, and that the differences in price are mainly due to binding, ornamentation, bridge/fingerboard woods, and finish.

If this were true, then you could find F-9's with better sound than F-5G's, just based on the individual variations of different pieces of spruce and maple. The F-5G is a nicer-looking instrument, in terms of finish and ornamentation, but I'd say -- based on my "reliable sources" -- that whether you wanted to spend $1K more on finish and "flash" would have to be a decision based on individual taste.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    All true with the following exception: you can order the F5-G Custom thru the Mandolin store for $500 more and get the ebony bridge & fretboard back along with the binding scheme of the F5-L.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Good point Mike, I forgot about the florida or lack thereof.
    -Jim

The Jam Master is the same as an F-9, but with a radiused board and slightly wider nut.

Blog Entries

I have been looking at getting another mandolin this summer and will be buying used.
    In the classifieds I have noticed the two models go in and out and wondered if the F-5G is worth the extra 1K. I am most interested in tone and volume not appointments. Will the F-9 give me the same tone and volume as the F-5G?
    You won't go wrong with either and there should be little to no consistent difference in the sound/performance of either mandolin if you compare them from the same era. A Derrington F-9 = Derrington F-5G = Derrington F-5L only the hardware, binding and inlay schemes are different.

Similar arguments for Harvey era F-mandolins.

But as noted Harvey era instruments are a little different from the Derrington era mandolins. Also the scrolls are definitely a bit different shape in the two eras -- on the Harvey mandolins the scrolls appear to be more "open".
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Thanks for all the responses,
    I play in a large stringband (four fiddles, two banjos most times) and would like an instrument that can, perhaps, cut through a bit more to what I have been playing lately.

To add another mandolin to the mix, I am also attracted to the Weber Bitterroot F-5's. They are in the same price range as the Gibsons, how would they compare?
    Last edited by Charles E.; Mar-23-2015 at 5:45pm.
    Charley

Thanks Bernie, do you happen to know what years would be the Derrington era?
    1998 (though the F9 started production in 2002) - 2006, though I don't know how involved he was in 2005-06 with direct supervision. I think Danny Roberts was more involved during that time frame.

Someone else can clarify...

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

25. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

There is a noticeable difference in my opinion. Like I said before, the 9s have been very dominant on the bass side. That goes for the F9 that I owned, the A9 I briefly owned and another A9 I plated recently, all right around 2003. The F5Gs have been more mid range dominant. Those were a 01 Festival F, 00 Artist A5, and a 2013 F5G. So people can say that there is no noticeable difference in tone, but I noticed a big difference. Not sure if that is because some were under the Flatiron label (shouldn't make a difference) or whether it was the finish or the fact that they were a few years older than the 9s, but there was a big difference to my ear.

27. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

And they have all been great mandolins, so not a knock against the 9s by any means.

29. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

The F5G's are basically the F5L's without the frills, e.g., additional bindings and inlays. The F9 also has a bone nut, where the F5G has a pearl nut. This in accordance with the Gibson website and their specs.

I got the F5G and have had nothing but compliments on the sound.... From very seasoned players. I did get an opportunity to play an F9 and it sounded great too me.

DataNick....I see you added the F5G to your stable.... How are you liking it?
    2014 Gibson 'Harvey' F5G
    1917 Gibson F2
    2013 'The' Loar LM600VS
    2013 Morgan Monroe 4FJ
    Blue Chip Picks
    The Scallywag Social Club

Quote Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
    ...DataNick....I see you added the F5G to your stable.... How are you liking it?
    Hey KGreene!

I got it as a backup to my F5L as the "gigging season" is upon me...it's got the classic Gibson tone, feel, and playability emblematic of a Derrington era Gibson F5...I'm very happy with it...btw: +1 on Josh's earlier observations re: the Flatiron Festival F from the same period (1999-2001)...same mandolin as the F5G...

Thanks again everyone.
    Like I mentioned, I will not be able to get another mandolin before summer (a shame because there a a couple of mandolins in the classifieds at the moment that are very tempting) and will have to sell a couple of things off.
    Hopefully I will have a chance to play a couple of Gibson's and Weber's at a festival or two later in the spring. I'll keep my eye on the Mando Mutt site as well since he seems to have good looking used instruments at any given time and is an easy drive from Raleigh.
    Charley

Regarding the questions about the Weber Bitteroot, I've owned the F-version with mahogany back, and now own the A-version with maple back. I love the way Webers play. The neck shape, radius fretboard, and large frets all make for a comfortable playing experience IMHO. I am primarily a guitar player, and have hand cramping problems with most traditional Gibson style mandolin necks (narrow nut, flat fretboard, small frets, deep V-shape neck). I love the sound of the Gibson F-9, but I struggle to play one smoothly. I have no problems playing my Weber. But I didn't care for the sound of the Bitteroot-F I had with the mahogany back. It just didn't have the bluegrass bark I wanted to hear. I let that one go, and now have a Bitteroot-A that I love. This one has a highly figured maple back and sides, but with a satin finish. It's a very understated and natural appearance, that I really like. It plays great (as all Webers do), and sounds awesome. It's got that throaty bark that I want to hear, and is a wonderful bluegrass mandolin. I can highly recommend a Bitteroot, but make sure it has a maple back. The workmanship of Weber mandolins is top notch.