Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Happy 70th Birthday, David Grisman

Default Re: Happy 70th Birthday, David Grisman

Happy Birthday Dawg!

I remember to this day when I first heard Dawg Music. It was in the early summer of 1979, and I had just turned 22 years old and finished college. I was moving from the Missouri Ozarks, where I grew up, to Seattle. On the multi-week road trip there, a high school friend of mine turned me on to "Hot Dawg" and my life (musical and otherwise) was never the same after that introduction. I was a fan of bluegrass and roots rock (the Dead, Allman Bros, etc) but at that point I'd never really gotten into jazz or Latin music; certainly not swing or bossa. Thanks to that introduction I got to know the music of Django, Stephane, Jobim, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, Mark O'Connor, Jethro Burns and eventually Jacob do Bandolim, Chris Thile, Don Stiernberg, many of the jazz greats and so many, many more. I got a mandolin, and then a second mandolin, and then an octave mandolin, and yet another mandolin (a slippery slope as we know!) and playing mando and continuing to learn about music is now one of my primary activities.

Thanks again and Happy Birthday! David in Seattle

Happy Birthday Dawg!! You've been such an inspiration to my musical journey. Besides being the reason why I even picked up the mandolin, your recordings and your label led me to Choro, all sorts of acoustic Jazz, classical music on the mandolin, and so many more players and styles that I would never have known about.

I'm forever grateful for you awesome contribution to the music world. One day I hope to make it out to Santa Cruz for the Symposium.

--Bill Slovin

Happy Birthday David! Thanks for a ton of great music, old instrument chat and the times you've said, "Here, play this!"

Drew

still Lefty & French Philippe Bony's Avatar

Happy birthday Mr. David Grisman! I heard (listened thousand times!) Muleskinner first, then Old & In The Way, but... your music really changed my life, back in 1977...

'Nother Registered User Jeff Richards's Avatar

Mr. Grisman, Happy Birthday from someone who met you for only a few minutes in Boulder after a show, but who was struck by your generosity even during that very brief time . Thank you for the music and most of all for being such a great example of humanity.

Peace and the very best wishes to you Dawg!
    "My soul seemed as foul as smoke from burning cat fur."
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

"I'm a farmer with a mandolin and a high tenor voice."
    Bill Monroe

Happy Birthday David from Vienna Austria.

Happiest of birthdays Dawg...and thanks for signing my mando at Floyd fest there 3 or 4 years ago. You're a true treasure.
    Jeff Oxley
    1994 Stiver F5 #230
    Washburn M-3SW/TS F5
    Epiphone Mandobird
    1972 Martin D-18
    Ibanez electric/acoustic
    Fender 12-string

Happy birthday. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Happy Birthday David!

Meeting you was the single biggest highlight for me last year when I attended the Mandolin Symposium for the first time. You are just such an open, jovial, and knowledgeable person who always have time for everyone, and eager to talk shop. You even passed around Crusher to all of us in your ensemble to pick on. Looking around the room, I know that was a day few of us would ever forget. Thanks for sharing your talent, your music and your passion with all of us.

Happy birthday you ole dawg! Thank you for changing the world to a better place.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Happy Birthday Dawg.

Happy Birthday David!
    In appreciation of your mandolin music, scholarship, teaching and advocacy for MAS- Best birthday wishes!
    From me, and all my mandolin family instruments,
    Rhonda
    Rhonda Berney

Happy 70th Birthday David Grisman

From the first time I dropped my pizza slice on my lap hearing the elegant tones of Hot Dawg in 1977 in Kalamazoo to the present when I am still in awe over your Acoustic Disc sonic refuge, you have always been our champion of tone, history and the future. The mandolin owes you a big birthday thanks. Doug in Vermont

It was an honor to see David Grisman in concert earlier this year in Nashville. What a talent! Happy Birthday!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dawginnashville.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	132146  

The only birthday present that I can offer on this joyous occasion is thanks. Thanks for releasing the peach album that took music where no music had gone before, with mandolins along for the ride. Thanks for consistently playing mandolin so creatively and expressively. It's not just what you play; it's how you play it. Thanks for spending time putting together and teaching at the Mandolin Symposium. (I hope to return this year or next.) Thanks for showing that old dawgs actually do have new tricks. Here's to many more of all of the above!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Another birthday greeting, Dawg. We haven't met, but I've enjoyed many shows. And as a former director at NPR for shows including All Things Considered and others - I can say with authority that NPR News would never have sounded the same without the countless bits of Dawg music between stories. Just so perfect, so very often!

All the best, Brad

PS And, 'well done' Scott T. A great tribute to a great player.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Happy Birthday David

Happy Birthday, Mr. Grisman and thank you for taking the mandolin to such a wonderful new place.

Happy Birthday David, I love playing my two mandolins I got from you.

John

Mandolin Production Head dhmando's Avatar

David,
    Happy 70th birthday!
    There are musicians that work within a framework of a certain genre of music, and then there are artist that amalgamate everything they have heard to create an entirely new music. You, my friend are that kind of musical genius!
    I first heard of you from Red Allen and his boys, Harley and Neal. You had produced a landmark album on Folkways Records, "Red Allen, Frank Wakefield and the Kentuckians", you were well respected and it was great!
    Every time I heard your work I was inspired!
    David, you have been so gracious, and incouraging to so many young, aspiring mandolin players though the years, including me! One of my favorite memories was hanging out with you and the Quintet at the Rainbow Music Hall, playing "Stompin' At Decca" on your Fern for Stephane Grappelli!
    Thanks for your example of excellence in creating new music while honoring the old masters and traditions and at the same time, bringing in a new generation of fans for acoustic music!
    I love you Dawg!
    Sincerely,
    David Harvey

21. The following members say thank you to dhmando for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Happy birthday to you!
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

One more Happy Birthday dawg. You have continued to be an inspiration for my mandolin playing. Hope you have 70 more.

Happy birthday, Dawg. Thanks for all of your contributions. I still remember hearing the first quintet album and thinking how great this is.

Robert

Blog Entries

David is an inspiration for sure. Thanks for all you have given us and the music that keeps on going.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Happy Birthday Mr. Grisman. For better or worse, you are the primary reason I play mandolin today. And I have to say, as much as I love your music, the bigger influence may be in education - introducing me to the serious side of Jethro, Jacob, Tiny, Cipolla, Apollon, and on and on.

Thank you.
    Bobby Bill