Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northfield?

Default Northfield?

I posted a few days ago trying to decide on a Kentucky km 1000 or J Bovier. I've now decided to throw Northfield and Pava A style into the mix. I had not intended to spend more than $1500 and the Northfield does exceed that. I have tried the Kentucky and J Bovier. Never tried a Northfield or Pava but have dealers close enough to try them both. I know the Pava is American made in a small shop. The Northfield I believe is American made also but the owner worked for Saga and supervised shops in China. The only problem with J Bovier is you pay up front and he fits your mandolin and ships it to you. There is a trial period but if you don't like it I'm assuming you lose a specified deposit. My question is......pretty much all these but the Pava are Asian made in mass I'm assuming.....so based on anyone's experience what makes the Northfield a higher priced mandolin?

Only answer to that is to play a Northfield. I have a Kentucky KM-950 (top end of their A models) and last month I played a Northfield F5S. That Northfield blew my Kentucky away. Really apples to oranges in every category.

It also blew away the 3 Pava' s and couple of Weber I played side by side with it.

Default Re: Northfield?

You are correct in that Pava is made in Texas
    Kentucky and Bovier are made in China - seem to be very well made but still imported
    Northfield is headquartered Michigan. The woods are US so you know more about the materials. But Northfield recently started building an A style here in the US and they start under $2000. There have been some used Northfields master models in the classifieds from 1900 to 2300.

http://www.northfieldinstruments.com/mandolins/model-m
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ght=northfield

It was interesting in an article posted recently about Ellis/Pava mandolins Tom Ellis said that the Ellis A and the Pava are basically the same mandolins (I have heard him say it before as well). The maple for the back is different and Pava does the graduations on her line and Tom does them for the Ellis line. He also said that he thought a couple of Pava's were the best sound mandolins they made last year.

http://www.themandolinplayer.net/pava-knesevic

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C. View Post
    Only answer to that is to play a Northfield. I have a Kentucky KM-950 (top end of their A models) and last month I played a Northfield F5S. That Northfield blew my Kentucky away. Really apples to oranges in every category.

It also blew away the 3 Pava' s and couple of Weber I played side by side with it.
    I have a 1050 with a Cumberland bridge. It is a very good mandolin, much better than I need at this point. I have played a limited number of mandolins but would very surprised if something blew it away that was not a high dollar mandolin. That is high praise.

I played Larry's (mandobassman) Bovier A5 last week for a bit while he checked out my Nugget A5. While we were in a noisy bar, I could tell that mando had the mojo. I would stack that mando up against just about anything in it's class and even higher. It is a very, very good instrument with beautiful woods and great playability.

Sean

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trob0417 View Post
    My question is......pretty much all these but the Pava are Asian made in mass I'm assuming.....so based on anyone's experience what makes the Northfield a higher priced mandolin?
    Instead of thinking in terms of American versus Asian made, I would urge you to consider factory versus small shop building. The Pava mandolins are excellent less for the fact that they are built in Austin, more due to the small team of talented craftspeople who build them. Northfields have a similar reputation, even though the F models are made in China, and are thus higher priced than the factory built instruments from Kentucky and JBovier.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Don't get me wrong, I love my KM-950 (A-style equivilent to your 1050). I was surprised as well when I played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    I have a 1050 with a Cumberland bridge. It is a very good mandolin, much better than I need at this point. I have played a limited number of mandolins but would very surprised if something blew it away that was not a high dollar mandolin. That is high praise.

I agree, the difference here is not so much about where they are made, but who is making them. Large factories which mass-produce instruments just aren't going to produce the same quality as small-shop luthiers.

Northfield has a very small group of talented individuals who make their instruments, and they have been very open on their website about showing you who does what. Their team is scattered around the globe, but it still comes down to individual attention on each mandolin.

Pavas are, of course, made in the same shop (and by the same hands) as high-end Ellis mandolins. I've personally been to their shop, and own both a Pava and an Ellis. Tom and Pava are two of the highest-caliber mandolin builders in the United States.

I have no clue who makes JBoviers or Kentucky models. I guess they're just nameless, faceless factory workers to us.

So your question about what makes Northfield a higher priced mandolin seems pretty obvious. Their production practices are more like the high-end builders, and they seem to focus more on quality than quantity. They have a fairly good reputation for being so (relatively) new to the market. It will take a while to claw their way up to a high-end brand reputation status, but they seem to be getting there. They have a representative who posts here on this board, who can give you personalized service, and you can order a custom-made instrument. I don't think you'll get that from the folks making Kentucky mandolins.

I was interested in Northfield.. however..
    They would not answer their phone or have the courtesy to return a call.
    Next.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hildreth View Post
    I was interested in Northfield.. however..
    They would not answer their phone or have the courtesy to return a call.
    Next.
    I had the opposite experience. Prompt response to emails and phone calls. Very helpful.
    Not arguing...just saying.

I recently bought one of the first Northfield M models and am very happy with it. While the sound is different all around it compares very favorably to my other, fairly high end, Model A. In this case it's the Northfield's Engelmann/varhish compared with the other's red spruce/lacquer finish.

Hi everyone. Gotta love the internet and the cafe. It's funny how many emails, texts, private messages etc come in any time there is a thread related to us. Like a giant bat signal in the sky. Thanks to everyone for the heads up and the encouragement!

Couple things. First, to the original poster: Happy to talk shop, our company history our setup, our two shops, our team... anything you like. However, I realize this is a forum and hesitate to jump in here and offer any guidance officially or behind the scenes.. this is a community and given our position we generally like to answer questions posed directly to us rather than insert opinions. I think I would recommend the main forum thread about us. Lots of info, lots of opinions... probably one of the most comprehensive tracks of our history. You can find that one here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ield-mandolins

Next, to Jeff Hildreth: As a crew, we just combed our entire database (voicemail/text/email.. etc) and have no record of your calling. I apologize if we are at fault. I feel we're very good keeping in touch but realize there's always room for error -- the amount of correspondence is overwhelming sometimes. Customer Service is paramount for us. Here is some information that I hope is helpful.

For sales and general customer service, info about available or custom order instruments and the status of a build, shipments and tracking, please call Peter Bagale at 585.233.1104
    For additional help with tech, like questions about set-up or specs or talk shop about instruments with specific tonal questions, comparisons etc. please call Derek Smith 269.589.9297
    For questions about co history, our plans, projects in the works, Qingdao/Marshall, instruments or what's on the bbq at the shop in MI today, call me at 269-267-3678. We're all generally working from 9-6pm M-F at the shops but can be reached any time.

Most of our communication comes via email. Please feel free to contact us at info@northfieldinstruments.com

We hope we can help. All the best and thanks to Scott T for this modern day communication device.

Adrian Bagale

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Northfield mando For This Useful Post:

I will throw my vote behind the Northfield team as well. I got a Northfield around September and have never personally played a finer instrument. Additionally, the Northfield team, in my experience, were amazing at responding to every question I had and spoke with me both through e-mail and phone whenever I prompted a conversation.

I will add my $0.02 as well. I received my custom F5 in December 2014 and from beginning (June) to end Peter was very responsive. He always returned my emails and phone calls and answered any and all questions.

As far as build quality and satisfaction, great on both counts. I bring it to jams and everyone who has played it has been very impressed with the sound, playability, and build quality.

Another postive vote for Northfield. I had excellent communications with them throughout the purchase/build experience.

Robert

i've been on the mandolin trail for nearly a year now. we already had 2 weber F styles in the house when i started(daughter and wife), but i had never played. i was using the wifes when i decided i wanted to dig in-so i looked around, called up TheMandolinStore and talked thru different models and pricing and took delivery of a Pava.

my Pava was the satin finish base model. a beautiful built instrument with a sweet sound. played very easy with an excellent setup.
    my only issue-a personal issue-was the nut width was a little narrow for me and i didn't care for the neck profile shape. i sold the Pava and purchased a wide nut Weber.

The Weber was a fine instrument-it was used, had a great tone and played easy. Somewhere about then i got bit by the Collings bug.
    Picked up a Collings MT with a wide nut. This would be THE mandolin for me...............for a while. I traded the Weber for another MT so my father-in-law could join in the Collings fun.

Got the hankering for another mandolin about 3 months ago and found a really cool wide nut F style, one piece back Northfield F5S.
    It arrived, loved loved the tone, the look, the feel. Didn't care for the neck profile-it was very very similar to the Pava.
    I did a speed neck on it and while at it, reshaped the neck profile ever so slightly to a more soft V shape. Now it fits me great.
    The NorthField has a different sound than all the above. Its a very organic tone-earthy but not dark. Very nice rounded notes everywhere on the fretboard. Arrived with an excellent, low, buzz free setup(just like my Collings).

I have not played any other mandolin since my Northfield arrived. Don't know what it is, it just draws me in and i have to hold it, play it.

I did contact Northfield in the past while doing my research-i would receive same day or next day email returns and even call backs. I thought they did great in the customer service arena. Highly impressed with everything about the Northfield.

Still love the Collings and Webers, but my main gal is the Northfield. Feels like your favorite pair of broken in bluejeans. Looks like a runway model, sounds like an angel talking.

d

Save up some additional money and go for the Pava !

19. The following members say thank you to yankees1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Save up some additional money and go for the Pava !
    There is actually a Pava at Carter Vintage in Nashville for$2200. Cotten Music in Nashville is a Northfield dealer. I'm about 50 miles south so I plan to test drive both soon if they're still there this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    I played Larry's (mandobassman) Bovier A5 last week for a bit while he checked out my Nugget A5. While we were in a noisy bar, I could tell that mando had the mojo. I would stack that mando up against just about anything in it's class and even higher. It is a very, very good instrument with beautiful woods and great playability.

Sean
    Thanks for the kind words Sean. That means a lot coming from someone who has owned several high end mandolins and knows what a good one sounds like. I have been more than pleased with my JBovier. It is so much more than I ever expected, especially given the cost. BTW, that Nugget of yours is one of the nicest mandolins I have played in quite some time. Beautiful balance and tone.

I have never played a Northfield and am looking forward to doing that sometime. I've heard nothing but good things. I don't know how the J Bovier F5 Special would compare to the Northfield, but it should get serious consideration.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

22. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

sgrexa 

hey trob0417, keep in mind that Cotten Music in only open week days, closed on the weekend!! If you really want to try the Northfield you will need to schedule your visit accordingly.

Carters usually has more than one Pava. I saw 3 there on one of my visits. I have never seen a used Northfield show up at Carters. And keep in mind that Gruhns is just down the road on 8th Ave and certainly worth a visit, though I was just in there and they don't have any Pava or Northfield mandos at present.

Blog Entries

Both Pava and Northfield are truly fine mandolins. They are quite different, however. You could pick and be very happy with either of them. It is totally down to preference. I've had a Northfield in the stable for a couple of years now, and really cannot fault it. It is (very) different sounding than the Pava/Ellis voicing, more mid-range focused, and somewhat 'drier', but it is a top-notch, fully pro-level mandolin by any standards. You really have to play them both....
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Almeria is correct. Both the Northfield mandolins & Pava / Ellis mandolins are amongst the highest quality mandolins to be had. It's very much to the credit of the guys behind the Northfield brand that Asian made mandolins have attained such a very high level of quality & acceptance. As Almeria says,they will sound very different, & you would really have to play one of each in order to form a real opinion as to which would suit you. I have to say,that having fairly recently bought an Ellis "A" style,that i wouldn't exchange it for any mandolin on the planet,& i'm positive that other folks think the same thing about 'their' particular favourite make of mandolin.
    However,if i didn't already have 3 mandolins,all very different in tone,i might be paying a visit to TAMCO down in Brighton UK who now have a Northfield mandolin in stock. If it wasn't a 550 mile round trip,i'd maybe go down anyway,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Only 3 Ivan? You can't really be a serious mandolin player Trevor isn't the only one with Northfield mandolins in stock. They're also advertising them at The Music Room and Cleckheaton is closer to you than Brighton. ....and don't tell anyone, they're cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    hey trob0417, keep in mind that Cotten Music in only open week days, closed on the weekend!! If you really want to try the Northfield you will need to schedule your visit accordingly.

Carters usually has more than one Pava. I saw 3 there on one of my visits. I have never seen a used Northfield show up at Carters. And keep in mind that Gruhns is just down the road on 8th Ave and certainly worth a visit, though I was just in there and they don't have any Pava or Northfield mandos at present.
    Thanks Nashville.....actually there is a KM1000 I have my eye on at Gruhn. Theyre asking $1000 for it. I'm afraid when I play the Northfield and Pava I'm gonna cast out the Kentucky although it's a fine sounding mando.

I just recently picked up a Northfield Master Model "Big Mon". I'm working out what strings I like best on it but it already has a beautiful sound. The build quality is extremely good. I don't see anything on it that I feel is not excellent. I bought mine used and don't care for the setup completely but the neck profile is perfect for my hands. I got one with the wider neck. Very comfortable but does take a little getting used to. Today's task is putting on some Silk and Bronze strings to hear if that is the perfect combination.
    I've played the Pava A model at Elderly last year. I personally preferred the sound of the Northfield but everyone hears things differently. Happy hunting.
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com