Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My (New to me) Ellis A5!

Default Re: My (New to me) Ellis A5!

That 3D effect is more amazing finish work than differences in available wood to the builders. Tom and his finisher have a gift for bringing out the beauty inherent to the wood.

Tom told me that they send out all of their varnish finished mandolins to get finished by some fellow in Missouri. They are able to do their lacquer finishes on site. But varnish is outsourced.

I can't remember his name, but man, does he make that flame explode of the back and sides.
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

Congratulations & welcome to the club. & they sound even better than they look
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ellis.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	132272

This is the one that got my 'Ellis enthusiasm' up & running,the mandolin that Tom built for Ricky Skaggs years back. I'd never even held a mandolin at the time,but i know beautiful wood & excellent craftsmanship when i see it,
    Ivan

Name:	Ricky Skaggs' 1985 Ellis F5.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	132276
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by TEvans View Post
    Tom told me that they send out all of their varnish finished mandolins to get finished by some fellow in Missouri. They are able to do their lacquer finishes on site. But varnish is outsourced.

I can't remember his name, but man, does he make that flame explode of the back and sides.
    My A5 Ellis is four years old and the varnish looks today just as good as it did four years ago.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Tom told me that they send out all of their varnish finished mandolins to get finished by some fellow in Missouri. They are able to do their lacquer finishes on site. But varnish is outsourced. I can't remember his name, but man, does he make that flame explode of the back and sides.
    His name is Josh Luttrell.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

7. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

TEvans 

The flame on the back of mine still blows me away even after having it 5 years. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	132298
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtuna View Post
    The flame on the back of mine still blows me away even after having it 5 years. Click image for larger version. 

Views:	173 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	132298
    No wonder!

Blog Entries

All amazingly beautiful mandolins above. Just exceptional - but that seems to be almost 'Standard' with Ellis.....the back on 297 is really wild, and it is great to see how it has been exploited by positioning and finish to make a mandolin back you could keep on staring at and keep on finding new details in there. They are truly at a level where both for looks and tone, you might find something different, but good luck finding anything 'better'.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

11. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Really nice looking instrument. Enjoy it!

Interesting new Ellis A-5 at elderly... It's a blonde!
    http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EA5DLX3-2.htm

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    Interesting new Ellis A-5 at elderly... It's a blonde!
    http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EA5DLX3-2.htm
    No longer in stock?

I missed an Ellis thread? Congrats! My a5 (317) is literally the best Mandolin I've ever played including 4 other Ellis f5s, another Ellis a5, and a VERY nice red diamond. They all (the Ellis') sound similar and they all sound great, but I feel like mine is something special. Maybe just because it's mine it seems like it has a bit more oomph though, a prettier low end. I'm actually not sure if mine is red or sugar maple. Although I have been getting scroll envy lately, I simply can't sell my Ellis, I'm afraid I won't find anything like it again even if I get another ellis

Your has different tuners, are they still waverlys?

Very true the finish is top notch, that's not just a saying, I mean it literally is the best around.

Proud to have such great mandolins crafted right here in Texas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	149 
Size:	215.3 KB 
ID:	135155   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	169 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	135156  
    Last edited by LongBlackVeil; Jun-10-2015 at 7:05pm.
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

From LBV - "Your has different tuners, are they still waverlys ?.".Tom Ellis told me that he uses both Waverly's & Gotoh's on his "A" styles. Mine has Gotoh MA40's on it. They work superbly well & i honestly can't imagine the far more expensive Waverly's working any better,
    Ivan

Name:	Ellis tuners - Gotoh MA40's.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	329.1 KB 
ID:	135299
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Hey Long Black Veil!

Are you in the Austin area? We should have an Ellis jam sometime!

On the note of tuners : I was in Tom's shop before I bought mine, and was inquiring about tuners. I had my mind set on waverly's just for their reputation. However, he told me that he often uses Gotoh tuners, specifically on A styles because they are "worm over" tuners - **I think I've got that right**. Anyways, the old school tuners are always "worm under" and when the string tension pulls on that string post, it often separates the gear from the post very slightly. Tom said he likes to use the Gotoh's for a worm over approach, where the string tension keeps the gears and the string post tight together.

My Ellis does have Gotoh's, and they are awesome. This thing holds a tune like nobody's business!
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

It sounds like we need an Austin area Cafe members mando tasting.

19. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

TEvans 

Let me know if y'all end up doing that. I'd consider making the 2+ hour drive for it.

21. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

TEvans 

oh i completely agree about the gotohs, i personally dont think tuners have much at all to do with tuning stability in the first place, assuming that they are working properly, the nut is where most tuning issues reside, not the tuners.

I live south of san antonio, it takes me about 3 hours to make it up there. Honestly i rarely have a free day to do something like that. But i am planning to go to the austin string band festival in oct. and then the hill country acoustic music camp in the winter over in kerville. Last year at the HCAMP i think there were 5 ellis' in attendance including mine. Theres also another ellis f5 at the jam i go to in San Antonio, theyre all over TX, people seem to like em

I don't think there is a way to not like an Ellis, nor have I heard anybody claim they don't like them! Solid instruments through and through.

Definitely a lot of factors playing into the tuning! Bridge placement, fret height / wear, nut slots, etc...

I'll have to check out the camp out in Kerrville, and the string band festival!
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I don't think there is a way to not like an Ellis, nor have I heard anybody claim they don't like them! Solid instruments through and through.
    Are the neck profiles consistent across mandolins emerging from the Ellis shop (Ellis A, Ellis F, Pava)? I love the tone of my Pava but find its U-shaped neck a bit full in the shoulders and wonder if "upgrading" to an Ellis A would not only lead to better appointments -- varnish finish, Waverly tuners, James tailpiece, etc. -- but also a more comfortable for me smaller, more V-shaped neck.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Are the neck profiles consistent across mandolins emerging from the Ellis shop (Ellis A, Ellis F, Pava)? I love the tone of my Pava but find its U-shaped neck a bit full in the shoulders and wonder if "upgrading" to an Ellis A would not only lead to better appointments -- varnish finish, Waverly tuners, James tailpiece, etc. -- but also a more comfortable for me smaller, more V-shaped neck.
    Iv only played one pava and for a short time, so take this with a grain of salt. I remember the biggest difference by far was the feel of the neck. My ellis feels a lot more refined if that makes sense, and indeed slimmer. I couldn't imagine anyone describing the neck on mine as "full" I don't really remember the pava feeling like a full profile either though. The mandolins I had before this ellis was a the loar, and a weber, both known to have particularly full neck profiles. So it's all relative I suppose. My Ellis felt very slim compared to those

I can say that the necks felt worlds apart. Especially the binding on the neck seems to make a big difference. I don't know if you will like the ellis neck better, but they are different so if you don't like it, it will be for different reasons. I would describe mine as a slim, round neck. MAYBE a slight v, but a very very soft v at most

26. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Hey Long Black Veil!

Are you in the Austin area? We should have an Ellis jam sometime!

On the note of tuners : I was in Tom's shop before I bought mine, and was inquiring about tuners. I had my mind set on waverly's just for their reputation. However, he told me that he often uses Gotoh tuners, specifically on A styles because they are "worm over" tuners - **I think I've got that right**. Anyways, the old school tuners are always "worm under" and when the string tension pulls on that string post, it often separates the gear from the post very slightly. Tom said he likes to use the Gotoh's for a worm over approach, where the string tension keeps the gears and the string post tight together.

My Ellis does have Gotoh's, and they are awesome. This thing holds a tune like nobody's business!
    Gilchrist has been using Gotoh tuners for a long, long time. Good enuff for Gil, good enuff anyone!

I would really like to understand this line of thinking. Help!
    It seems to me that the worm under (worm gear under, or closer to the body of the mandolin) would be the configuration where the two gears are pulled into closer proximity, no?.

Or, is the string tension (force) on the topside of the headstock causing a leverage effect (the headstock being the fulcrum), thereby causing the gears to be pulled apart on the bottom side of the headstock?
    Thanks for any insight.

Oh, and why would he (Tom) feel that this effect is more important on A style than F?

to Pheffernan, I would call my Ellis neck a soft V neck. Very thin and comfortable. The violin "speed" finish is particularly nice.

To Flatrock - Precisely. The string tension is pulling the top of the string post towards the body of the mandolin, thus making the underside of the string post (in contact with the tuner gear) to lean slightly away from the body. Thus, you have a slightly tighter connection between the gear and the string post.

So very much like the headstock is the fulcrum. Now, it isn't like it's seriously leaning. All of these things are very, very small changes.
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TEvans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    My Ellis definitely has a slimmer feel to the neck than my Pava. The Pava is more of a U shape, where the Ellis is more of a V.

32. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post: