Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which music shops to visit - Atlanta and Nashville?

Default Which music shops to visit - Atlanta and Nashville?

Hey all -

I'll be in Atlanta 'til Tuesday, then on to Nashville. Any suggestions as to the best shops for mandolin sight-seeing in these towns?

Thanks,
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Default Re: Which music shops to visit - Atlanta and Nashville?

Carter's vintage in Nashville would be at the top of my list.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

+1 on Carters, I've never been there but hope to rectify that someday. Gruen's and Cotten Music in Nashville also.

Maple Street in ATL.
    Clark Beavans

4. The following members say thank you to tree for this post:

Carters is #1 for mandolins. Gruhns is #2 and just down the street a mile or so. Cotten Music is a nice store, but has small selection and is only open M-F. It is easy to spend hours in just Carters. They will let you play the signed Loars if you ask. They are in a glass case on the wall of the small front room, along with all the high end mandolins you've read about. They have sold out of Gilchrists so you won't find one of those. Forget about any other music store in Nashville area for mandolins.

Have fun on your trip!

6. The following members say thank you to Nashville for this post:

All good suggestions so far. Here's one that might not be on your list (or anyone's list), my shop! We are located in Hendersonville, which is only about a 20 minute drive from downtown Nashville. I've always got a bunch of mandolins, guitars, and resophonic guitars on hand, as well as loads of work-in-progress to check out. CeeCee, I'm sure you'll have a blast checking out our shop, how we build things, etc. Heck, it might even be more fun than Carters and Gruhns combined! Consider yourself invited!

Steve -

Thanks for the invitation. Consider me accepting!

The first Loar F5 I owned is for sale currently in Atlanta.
    http://www.maplestreetguitars.com/sh...UM,USM,LHM,MDL
    It remains one of the best I have played.....

I think what I want to do is (1) look at mandola and (2) get some advice about external contact pickups and maybe buy one.

I second (and third) the suggestion of maple street guitars in Atlanta!!! I bought an Eastman 505 and a Taylor GS mini there great customer service and nice selection of instruments. Not huge selection, but nice selection.

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Maple Street is a great store with a modest selection of mandolins. They have a few Collings, some Eastmans, some Kentucky's, and a real Lloyd Loar and a real Gibson Fern. Their acoustic guitar selection is awesome and they also carry Pro Plec and Wegen Picks.

The man who runs the shop wouldn't even let me SEE the Loar, much less play it. He simply dismissed me.

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Well, truthfully, they aren't used to having instruments of that level in the shop so they are probably more worried about it when compared to shops like Carters in Nashville. Gruhn's is a little stand offish with $100k+ instruments as well. Sorry about that.

As I suggested in your forgotten pick thread. Look up Marty Jacobson. Think he put his address/street location in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee_C View Post
    The man who runs the shop wouldn't even let me SEE the Loar, much less play it. He simply dismissed me.
    Wow, that's really rude...

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    All good suggestions so far. Here's one that might not be on your list (or anyone's list), my shop! We are located in Hendersonville, which is only about a 20 minute drive from downtown Nashville. I've always got a bunch of mandolins, guitars, and resophonic guitars on hand, as well as loads of work-in-progress to check out. CeeCee, I'm sure you'll have a blast checking out our shop, how we build things, etc. Heck, it might even be more fun than Carters and Gruhns combined! Consider yourself invited!
    Yes by all means stop and visit here. A Redline Hemi to sit in the back seat of my Hemi. Another bucket list item

(You are on somebodies list Steve )
    Last edited by Rodney Riley; Mar-30-2015 at 3:08pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    Wow, that's really rude...
    +1 on the "rude". The concern over a six figure instrument is understandable. Dismissing someone who wants to SEE an instrument that is for sale is not.
    I know of an aircraft dealer who lost a seven figure sale because he 'dismissed' someone he judged not to be a potential buyer.
    Bad business.

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Cotton Music does seem to have a bit fewer mandolins than usual.
    Even so, they have a couple of Nuggets, an Altman, a Givens, some Collings and Northfields.
    But, I would go to see the brand new, hot from the shop, Kimble 2 point mandola.
    I bet they would even let you play it.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

20. The following members say thank you to GKWilson for this post:

Phil-D 

If you go to Carter's, please check out the Poe F-4 and report impressions - thanks
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

The guy a maple street guitars can be the same way with his other mandolins , i have had good and bad experiences in the store, but i don't look like i could or would buy a Collings mandolin which he is wrong but now he's right cause i wouldn't buy it from them, i will go somewhere else
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Don't know how he will sell it if you can't play it. Went in a book store about a year ago and got called down for looking at the books, that store is no longer in buisness, wonder why

somewhat off track for mandolins, but if you have time while in Nashvegas, and are tooling around the old part of town near the Ryman, walk a couple blocks down and pay a visit to the Johnny Cash museum-even if you are not a JC fan, its a self guided tour and has many of his own personal things, lots of hand written letters from JC to others, and just a visit back into time. Wife and i spent about 3 hours in there last year and loved it. There's an indoor theatre to watch the Man in Black as well. Extremely interesting.
    http://www.johnnycashmuseum.com/

And if you are hungry, and like BBQ, highly suggest Jacks, again, a couple blocks from the JC museum:

http://jacksbarbque.com/

hey, did Capo's have proplecs? if not, whatda end up with?

d

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steevarino View Post
    i would love for you to demo and post some thoughts on the Redline A models!!!
    d

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Maybe if you'd said you're a personal friend of Ken Waltham. True or not, inside information can help. Sometimes ...

It's a good bet it will still be there the next time you pass through.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

CeeCee. About that shop that wouldn't show the Loar...

(What I'm saying here is a joke-- just for fun.)

Maybe he overheard you telling about the time you dropped the 1949 Vincent Black Shadow...

Just kidding around.

I have, and continue, to enjoy your reports.

Certified schooner-rat Neoclinus's Avatar

Another good word for Cotten. I bought my Elkhorn from them a couple years ago and couldn't have been happier. I haven't been in person, but would love to. Kim was a wonderful person to buy an instrument from, making me feel like a friend even though I've never met them. Truly excellent customer service. I doubt you would be brushed off for wanting to play an instrument.
    As far as that, I heard from a friend of a co-worker of his once walking in to a nice jewelry store to buy a ring while in his scruffy work clothes. Engagement perhaps. When he asked about one of the more expensive items the shopkeeper responded with something like "well that's a bit out of your price range"... Intending to pay in cash, he took out a rather large roll of money, said "I suppose you're right - I think I'll take my money elsewhere" and walked out. One hope that sort of thing is a good lesson learned in customer service.
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all." -Douglas Adams

Elkhorn F-5 cocobolo & red cedar, 1896 Cole's Eclipse 4000 banjo, ca. 1880's S.S. Stewart 'lady Stewart' openback banjo, et al...

30. The following members say thank you to Neoclinus for this post: