Thread: Price check: used Collings MT gloss-top

Default Price check: used Collings MT gloss-top

I would like to buy a used Collings MT with a gloss top (the sunburst type, not the blonde type) and ivoroid binding, in mint condition. Can anyone tell me how much to expect to pay? Can it be done for $1500 or so? Or is that unrealistic?

Default Re: Price check: used Collings MT gloss-top

From what I've seen, they tend to go closer to the $1800 range. But right time, right place...
    Blow on, man.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadLiver View Post
    I would like to buy a used Collings MT with a gloss top (the sunburst type, not the blonde type) and ivoroid binding, in mint condition. Can anyone tell me how much to expect to pay? Can it be done for $1500 or so? Or is that unrealistic?
    I think $1500 is a tad unrealistic unless it has had heavy play wear or damage with a repair. That's a $2500 instrument new, so the usual 20-30% depreciation would put you in the $1750-2000 range: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/84085. One just posted for $1650 and was snapped up immediately: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/85234.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Thanks, I'll keep my eye out. In my experience an awfully good-sounding mandolin and that design is understated and classy (I definitely think the glossy ones with the light binding look worlds better though). Seems like good value for money without a doubt, and if Collings mandos are like their guitars the resale value, should I ever need to sell it, is very high. Personally I feel that an F-style is gauche unless you're talking about an absolutely top-end instrument.

I window shopped MT's a long time here before buying a Pava after they came out. In years of looking I only ever saw one non-gloss topped MT with an asking price of $1500, and the seller was up-front that it was dinged up and needed a re-fret.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadLiver View Post
    In my experience an awfully good-sounding mandolin and that design is understated and classy (I definitely think the glossy ones with the light binding look worlds better though). Seems like good value for money without a doubt, and if Collings mandos are like their guitars the resale value, should I ever need to sell it, is very high.
    In my experience , the MT is as comfortable a mandolin, ergonomically speaking, as any that I have encountered. It sounds good by itself, great with others, and Bill Collings' reputation for quality and consistency makes it a safe bet to hold its value and buy from a distance.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    In my experience , the MT is as comfortable a mandolin, ergonomically speaking, as any that I have encountered. It sounds good by itself, great with others, and Bill Collings' reputation for quality and consistency makes it a safe bet to hold its value and buy from a distance.

Okay good -- that's similar to what I found with their guitars. I did not care for the tone of my Collings D2H guiar, but the quality and playability was unassailable, and I sold it for substantially more than I bought it for so it was hardly the end of the world.

I just really, really like the stark, unaffected design of all their instruments. And those little MTs that I've heard develop a truly wicked bluegrass chop!

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

That's a low price. You would likely only find that from someone who had to sell immediately and was in a bind or it would have to be a pretty beat up one with issues.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

If I saw one for $1500 I'd buy it immediately, and I'm not even in the market. I think $1800 is about the going rate.
    Living’ in the Mitten