Thread: Contemporary (1945-present) mandolin concertos: provisional list

Default Contemporary (1945-present) mandolin concertos: provisional list

David Miller, my friend and colleague in the New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME), asked me recently for information about contemporary mandolin concertos. David was aware of the Thile and Dorman concertos, but not (off the top of his head) others. The attached is a list in progress. To be clear, "contemporary" means 1945 to the present (so, post WW2) and "concerto" means for solo mandolin (and possibly another instrument, although I have not undertaken a careful search for these) and "orchestra" where this means bowed strings and/or conventional orchestral instruments (e.g. winds, percussion). At the moment, therefore, I am excluding works originally for mandolin and plucked ensemble (for example, Kioulaphides, "Concerto de Camera" which NAME will give the US premiere of in June with David Miller as the soloist). That said, some of the works on the list exist in versions for mandolin and plucked string ensemble. I am also excluding for the moment works for solo mandolin and string quartet (such as, for example, by Kioulaphides and by Clarice Assad).

I am quite sure the list is incomplete (e.g. there are more Japanese works). At some point I will add information re: availability (some are published, some are not).

If you are aware of works that should be on the list but are not, please let me know. Other comments welcome.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	List of modern mandolin concertos.pdf 
Views:	221 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	132509
    Robert A. Margo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Contemporary (1945-present) mandolin concertos: provisional l

Dr. Bob, this is a great list. I'm guessing you've already scoured Neil Gladd's Contemporary American Music for Mandolin page for suspects.

Off the top of my head (and after some serious internet searching for confirmation) I can suggest that you add a concerto for Mandolin and Chamber Orchestra titled "Dakota Suite" composed by Joan Griffith. Joan, who teaches at colleges in Minneapolis-St. Paul, was a presenter at the 1999 CMSA convention in Minneapolis and not long after that I had the chance to hear this piece (unless it was a different mandolin concerto by her) performed by the Bloomington MN Symphony with her as the soloist.

I don't recall her concerto having a title other than "Concerto" so it's possible that what I heard was a different piece by her. Here's a link to a FB page which mentions the "Dakota Suite":
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alma-...75673?sk=notes

You can probably contact Joan directly for more accurate info.

I hope this turns into an article in the Mandolin Journal or, better yet, something published by the American String Teachers Association.

John G.

"I can suggest that you add a concerto for Mandolin and Chamber Orchestra titled "Dakota Suite" composed by Joan Griffith."

Thanks John, very helpful, and so added!
    Robert A. Margo

This was very useful for me, and exactly what I was looking for. I have already begun adding some of these works to my library... Now all I need is an orchestra!
    My WWW Home | Prester John Duo | New American Mandolin Ensemble
    "So Much Music, So Little Time!"