Thread: Punch Brothers at the Fonda Theater, Hollywood

Default Punch Brothers at the Fonda Theater, Hollywood

Such incredible accomplished musicians! So innovative, and connected to each other . The more I play the mando, the more I can appreciate what goes into great musicianship. I'm not even a big fan of their music, but to see them live is incredible, not just Thile, the whole band just smokes! If an opportunity to see them comes up, GO! Only downside: The theater was standing only.. Wasn't too 'Fonda' that... :)

Default Re: Punch Brothers at the Fonda Theater, Hollywood

The Fonda balcony has seats, but then you are further away. I used to make a point to see Thile every time he played in L.A., but my lack of connecting with PB's music has made me feel it unnecessary to see *them* every time. But if he is solo, in a duo with Marshall, Meyer, Daves, etc.. yeah I'm there. He should do a duo show with Brad Mehldau at Largo.

I’ve been somewhat ambivalent about PB until now, but I think the new CD is a game changer. They are really coming into their own, doing something no one else comes close to, and people are starting to realize how special they are. And it isn’t just musicians. I would even say non-musicians could be getting PB in ways that musicians might miss. That room was pretty much full last night and the audience—wide age range but I'd say skewed 30-something—was really LISTENING! Even singing along to lyrics. It’s a small audience in the big scheme, but still I was surprised by the level of turnout and engagement. PB are all about music and musicianship, sensitivity and nuance…true artistry…with zero artifice. I was also knocked out by their group singing—there were some serious Beach Boys moments in there. And bluegrass instrumentation notwithstanding, those guys sounded as big as Radiohead at times. They are really onto something and connecting with people in meaningful ways. I took it all to be a very encouraging sign.

And it was fun to hang out with Tomando, and we thank CityFolk for the tickets.

And a big +1 on the Thile/Mehldau/Largo concept!

4. The following members say thank you to Doug Freeman for this post:

Jeff, Give 'em another chance if you haven't heard the new album yet. I agree 100% with the "game changer" comments and pretty much everything Doug just mentioned. I didn't care for their music (and I tried) before hearing this new release...I listen to it several times a week. Still can't get into the older stuff, though.

Love older stuff. New album took awhile, but I love it now!

I heard PB in New York at the Beacon Theatre last month. They were amazing. At one point they played Familiarity from the new album. I figured that the studio recording has some effects and overdubs to get that sound, but live it was flawless and even sounded better, more heartfelt.

They are getting better, and they were already at the top.

I didn't care for the opening act at all. But the Punch Brothers definitely brought their A-game. Their overall musicianship is unparalleled. I've seen Thile and PB pretty much every time they've been in SoCal over the last five years. The big difference I saw this time was they put on more of a "show" with the lights and smoke machine. And like Doug mentioned, the audience was very engaged. Three notes into every song and the crowd went wild. It's interesting to see how they are developing as a band. You may think I'm crazy but I think Thile's vocal skills far exceeded what he added to the band with the mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I didn't care for the opening act at all. But the Punch Brothers definitely brought their A-game. Their overall musicianship is unparalleled. I've seen Thile and PB pretty much every time they've been in SoCal over the last five years. The big difference I saw this time was they put on more of a "show" with the lights and smoke machine. And like Doug mentioned, the audience was very engaged. Three notes into every song and the crowd went wild. It's interesting to see how they are developing as a band. You may think I'm crazy but I think Thile's vocal skills far exceeded what he added to the band with the mandolin.
    You're not crazy. Didn't your mother have you tested...?

10. The following members say thank you to Tomando for this post:

I remember so well seeing the Punch Brothers at the Cactus Cafe here in Austin and how special it was to be seated so close (the place holds maybe 300 people). It was so obvious the group had been playing together for decades and communicated perfectly musically. It is why I also enjoy house concerts so much.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

I'll be seeing the Punch Brethren at The Ogden in Denver tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing Thile in a band setting. I've only seen him with Edgar Meyer...which absolutely blew my mind, but certainly not the same type of playing I expect to see tomorrow. Big Critter fan here too. Getting more excited as I type this....!

Blog Entries

I have a ticket to see him this Friday in Houston. Should be a great time had by all!!!!
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.