Thread: Arnold Cross Mandolins

Default Arnold Cross Mandolins

I just went to visit with Mr. Arnold Cross in Smyrna, TN (about 15 miles south of Nashville). I bought one of his mandolins last summer and love it more today than the day I picked it/fell in love with it at his shop. I have not found another mandolin that I would prefer or feel would beat it (and being near Nashville and a number of respected guitar shops, I have played quite a few high end mandolins. But I am probably partial to mine just because).
    He puts a lot of hard work and time into his mandolins (as I am sure most builders do). This time I played 4 of his mandolins. I still love mine but may be buying another of his in the future when I am able. I can't say enough good about him and his mandolins.

The main point of this post was to post some pictures, for anyone that may like to see, of two of the mandolins I played in his shop today and one in progress. There was one glossy finish mandolin that I played but forgot to take a picture of and another early one that he keeps as his personal mandolin. All played extremely well and have their own personalities and characteristics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1329.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	175.0 KB 
ID:	132514   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1330.jpg 
Views:	597 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	132515   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1331.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	132516  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1332.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	132517   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1333.jpg 
Views:	623 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	132518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1334.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	132519  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1335.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	132520  
    Last edited by jhammond; Apr-03-2015 at 7:06pm.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jhammond For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Arnold Cross Mandolins

Where is his shop?

He isn't in our builder's database but a Google search brings up a person by that name in Smyrna, TN.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I can't find a website or even a Facebook page, and he has no entry in the Cafe Builder's Database, which is a shame, as I bet a fair number of people here would like to know more about his work.

Blog Entries

I checked out your cafe site and looked over the cross mandolin in your albums. Very good looking mandolin for sure. How does it compare to the ratliff regarding to volume/tone? Also maybe a crazy question to some but do you know how much it weighs? Heavier or lighter than the rat?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cagle View Post
    I checked out your cafe site and looked over the cross mandolin in your albums. Very good looking mandolin for sure. How does it compare to the ratliff regarding to volume/tone? Also maybe a crazy question to some but do you know how much it weighs? Heavier or lighter than the rat?
    Ok. Sorry I haven't been spending a ton on time on the Cafe lately ...
    But for good reason: I have a 9 month old baby girl and she gets most of my free time. I have just been trying to pick when I can rather than surf the internet.

The Cross and Ratliff are very close in volume. Tone is slighty different. The Cross seems slighty smoother maybe warmer. The Ratliff is crisp. Both are very fun but slightly different. This could also be because at the moment I have different strings on them. I am trying some John Pearse Heavy (.012-.040) that I picked up on the Cross. The Ratliff has my normal D'Addario EJ74s (.011-.040). So that could be a difference.
    Also, the Cross is heaveir at about 2.9lbs with strap and armrest (heavier).
    And the Ratliff is about 2.6 with strap and lighter armrest.
    Both had a tuner when I weighed them too. Didn't feel like taking everything off so all that will account for an ounce here and there.
    The weight difference may attribute to some sound difference.

I will say that some of the other mandolins he had when I bought mine and others that I have seen since are lighter and maybe a little crisper sound. My Cross mandolins neck is a little more chunky than others including my Ratliff. The later Cross mando's necks are slimmer. Also he usually has several mandos at a store in Pigeon Forge and a couple at Gruhns (Nashville). He would be able to tell you what he has where right now.

I love them both. I was actually about to buy another one of Mr. Cross' mandos when I found an incredible deal on the Ratliff that I could not pass up. But I would not hesitate to buy another Cross. (or Ratliff too)

Arnold Ratliff
    Smyrna, TN
    615-459-5170

Sorry that was supposed to be "Arnold Cross".

Gruhn has two Cross mandolins listed;

Cross #1

Cross #2
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by jhammond View Post
    I just went to visit with Mr. Arnold Cross in Smyrna, TN (about 15 miles south of Nashville). I bought one of his mandolins last summer and love it more today than the day I picked it/fell in love with it at his shop. I have not found another mandolin that I would prefer or feel would beat it (and being near Nashville and a number of respected guitar shops, I have played quite a few high end mandolins. But I am probably partial to mine just because).
    He puts a lot of hard work and time into his mandolins (as I am sure most builders do). This time I played 4 of his mandolins. I still love mine but may be buying another of his in the future when I am able. I can't say enough good about him and his mandolins.

The main point of this post was to post some pictures, for anyone that may like to see, of two of the mandolins I played in his shop today and one in progress. There was one glossy finish mandolin that I played but forgot to take a picture of and another early one that he keeps as his personal mandolin. All played extremely well and have their own personalities and characteristics.
    Question about Arnold Cross mandolins. I am traveling to Carter's in Nashville next week. Am interested in an Arnold Cross they have for sale. Wondering if you have seen this one and maybe played it. it is number 24 and dated 12-12-12. being sold as new and I was wondering if anyone had any idea why it has sat around for that long? Have interest in a couple of others but I am wondering about this one. Thanks for any insight or info you can provide. thanks. d

Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustic/Redline Acoustic is has a few Cross mandolins listed.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

For you North and South Carolina residents. Looks as if there is a place in Myrtle Beach called Guitar Zan, that also carries Arnold Cross mandolins. Guitar Zan? I recall that being a sort of comedic song by a guy names Ray Stevens a number of years back.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Looks as if both of those at Gruhn's are sold.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Wow! Thanks for the photos. Want to let you and others know that Arnold Cross now has a website. It is www.crossmandolins.com
    tnx

The name of the shop and business is Guitar Zan. We have stopped going to Myrtle Beach. Haven't heard from him about these mandolins. See more of Arnold's mandolins at www.crossmandolins.com Thanks for your interest. Dorothy and Arnold Cross

Jhammond...I am looking at a Cross mandolin from Red Line Acoustics. Steve played it for me since I am in Northern Michigan. This particular Cross F model has a strange protruding piece that traditions between neck and headstock . I was wondering if you ayed any of his mandolins that have that feature and if it affects playbility in first position on the neck with thumb. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ajbrown View Post
    Jhammond...I am looking at a Cross mandolin from Red Line Acoustics. Steve played it for me since I am in Northern Michigan. This particular Cross F model has a strange protruding piece that traditions between neck and headstock . I was wondering if you ayed any of his mandolins that have that feature and if it affects playbility in first position on the neck with thumb. Thanks
    take a look at Arnold’s site linked above. There are lots of photos if you scroll way down to the available section. I can see sort of a “volute” in the back views. Is that what you are talking about?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

jhammond. I am looking at a Cross Mandolin and was wondering if you could replay with your current opinion on you instrument(s). He has a couple on Reverb (1) from REd Line acoustics and ,2) Guitar Zan (2016 #47).
    I am trying to decide between the two without being able to play them due to geographic barriers. Please update me on your Cross mandolins if you have the time. Cheers,
    Adam