Thread: good $ value mic recommendation?

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default good $ value mic recommendation?

Any suggestions for a $ value mic to be used for voice through an accoustic amp?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Default Re: good $ value mic recommendation?

If you're just starting out with PA gear, I don't think you can get a better bang-for-buck than the 'ol reliable: a Shure SM58.

Just make sure you get it from a reliable supplier like Sweetwater, Musician's Friend or similar, because this is one of the most counterfeited mics in the world, and the counterfeits are difficult to tell from the real thing, at least cosmetically (they won't sound as good, or last as long).

There are better mics for vocals, depending on what you're doing, but most of them are condenser mics that need phantom power. The good ones cost considerably more than a '58, and for best results should be used with an actual PA system instead of an acoustic amp (except for some of the "tower" systems that act as mini-PA's).

Ditto on the Shure SM58. I got mine through Elderly, so I'm sure it's legit. I had no idea there were counterfeits out there!!
    Too many instruments...too little time

Another vote for the Shure SM58. Just be aware that this mike has no switch and is always hot. The SM58S is only 5 dollars more and sometimes an on off switch is handy.

At a lower price point I have had great success with Audio Technica M4000S. MF has them at 2 for 49.95. They are a just a bit hotter than the SM58 and missing a tiny bit of the lower frequencies but all in all, for a 25 dollar mic, really very satisfying sound and all metal construction. I use them for miking instruments on gigs and have never had any problems with them.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by BBarton View Post
    I had no idea there were counterfeits out there!!

Blog Entries

Can't go wrong with a genuine SM-58. Ebay and Craig's list are overflowing with fakes, however, and some of them are even closer than the one shown in that video (correct holes, properly added logos, correct finish and even a close copy of the box and paperwork). Buyer beware. SM-57's are just as widely faked too, so are certain Sennheiser models.

The AKG D-5 is also worth considering. Very nice mic, with excellent feedback rejection (as good if not better than the Beta-58).
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

even better value is SM48

advantage , dynamics like the SM58 are Spit Tolerant, which you do when singing.
    (those P's and T's)

AKG, Austrian, Is more domestic, in the EU, Shure an Import.

US the reverse is true..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

garded

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Another vote for the Shure SM58. Just be aware that this mike has no switch and is always hot. The SM58S is only 5 dollars more and sometimes an on off switch is handy.

At a lower price point I have had great success with Audio Technica M4000S. MF has them at 2 for 49.95. They are a just a bit hotter than the SM58 and missing a tiny bit of the lower frequencies but all in all, for a 25 dollar mic, really very satisfying sound and all metal construction. I use them for miking instruments on gigs and have never had any problems with them.
    What Don said. I have no idea how they can make such a good mic for so cheap. But I've had them now for years and they have never let me down. They are my go to when it would normally be nightmare situation. Loud room, bad acoustics, outside with a lot of wind, no matter. No feedback, no noise and gets the job done. I don't have to seem to do a lot of eq'ing either. I got mine from MF, $140 for 6 mic's, 6 20' XLR cords, a nice foam and cordura case and clips. The mic clips are junk, the rest are two thumbs up.