Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peghead Nation - Any users?

Default Peghead Nation - Any users?

Wondering if anyone has been using the Peghead Nation mandolin courses.

Joe Walsh is one of my favorite players, so I really like the idea of doing the lessons from him, but I also know that I really enjoy time with an instructor in person.

Has anyone used this site, and if so, how is the experience?
    Thanks!
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

2. The following members say thank you to TEvans for this post:

Default Re: Peghead Nation - Any users?

Yep, I'm using Peghead Nation. At the moment I'm in the beginning course but I've checked out Mr. Walshs course. I'd say you get out of either course exactly what you put in. I'm visually impaired so I can't say my criteria are the same as most other folks but I'd recommend giving me' a shot. I think you can do a month for $20 and if your not satisfied just drop the subscription.

I'm looking at Artistworks Mike Marshall course at the moment, know anything about that course?

4. The following members say thank you to 3Pinner for this post:

I've just watched some of the Artist Works videos on YouTube. Seems like it is a cool program.

I think Mike Marshall said something in one of them that advocates for this type of lessons. He talked about traditional lesson formats where you sit down with your instructor. You tune, get out all your books, talk about your week, and then eventually get to the music, and you only have 20 minutes left. Not to mention you are nervous to play in front of the player that you are in constant awe of. So your nerves are high and you don't play well.

With Artistworks and Peghead, you have time to watch, re-watch, analyze and do all of those things and really take your time.
    And you are in the comfort of your living room.

I think I need to give it a go. I really enjoy the in person style of lessons, as I just like to play music with people. So I'm not certain how I'll like the online lessons.
    Austin, TX

Ellis A5

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TEvans For This Useful Post:

Hey guys,

I just started Mike Marshall's mandolin school on Artistworks and am very impressed!

The lessons are really easy to follow and most helpful (you can loop bits, as needed for repetition). I also like that he gives backing guitar-tracks at two speeds.

The best part, for me, is that you can send videos of your playing for Mike to review and he'll send a response video: just sent off my first one and am looking forward to his tips/suggestions. There's also a whole catalogue of other students' video submissions, along with Mike's responses, which is proving really helpful to go through.
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

8. The following members say thank you to Pick&Grin for this post:

TEvans 

I am brand new to mandolin (or any instrument, really). I rented a mandolin a month ago and started doing Sharon Gilchrist's beginning mandolin course on Peghead Nation. I have really enjoyed the course. I like the challenge of learning by ear. The videos focus on playing melody, not rhythm, so I haven't learned many chords yet, but I see that more of that is coming in later videos. I have learned the first four songs pretty easily; they seem to be getting progressively more difficult, but on the other hand I am learning each one faster than the previous one. I play on average about 45 minutes to an hour per day. The videos are well organized, high quality, and follow a format, so you can pretty easily go back and find the part that you want to review again without too much hunting. So far there are three mandolin courses -- probably a couple years worth of material for a beginner like me. I imagine at some point I'll add in a class, some workshops, or some lessons in order to get some feedback on my playing, but I can't see how any of those would replace the video coursework.

I've been subbed to artistworks for a year, I think its excellent. my usual time for acquiring instruction is 3am-hard to find a live instructor at those times. I enjoy looking back as often as I want to review lessons/videos. the sound and videography are superb.
    I did check out peghead nation and found the video and lessons just as good. they have well known teachers as well.
    not sure on cost breakdown for each.

another excellent video lesson teacher is Mandolessons.com
    I've been watching/learning from mandolessons.com more and more lately(I like Barons arrangements and teaching style)

all 3 are excellent, give'm all a free trial and see which instructor meets your needs
    d

11. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

gtani7 

Been using ArtistWorks w/Mike Marshall for a few weeks now & just received his feedback. I've learned a ton & am impressed with the value. Even absent his direct feedback, getting to view his student's submissions with his response is invaluable. Add to that, recording myself, seeing the recording and getting his comments are really helpful. What a deal! Compare $30/month (if you purchase for 3 month increments) to a typical teacher who would charge more than $30 for a 30 minute lesson (for someone good), this is an incredible deal. Mike's feedback is pointed, very constructive. There's so much to learn!
    Last edited by Mike Rodbell; Aug-12-2016 at 9:58am.

Yes, I've been taking Irish mandolin lessons. They are great. However, since Friday, I cannot access my lessons. I've sent three emails, opened a ticket ... nothing. I triple checked to make sure I'm paid up .... I'm not a happy camper. And yes, I've tried different browsers. Honestly, I've never had a website ignore emails or tickets ... even if it's just a auto reply email .... it means something.

Peghead, if you're out there, please fix your site.

When, or if, this situation changes, I'll let folks know.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by johngdon View Post
    I am brand new to mandolin (or any instrument, really). I rented a mandolin a month ago and started doing Sharon Gilchrist's beginning mandolin course on Peghead Nation. I have really enjoyed the course. I like the challenge of learning by ear. The videos focus on playing melody, not rhythm, so I haven't learned many chords yet, but I see that more of that is coming in later videos. I have learned the first four songs pretty easily; they seem to be getting progressively more difficult, but on the other hand I am learning each one faster than the previous one. I play on average about 45 minutes to an hour per day. The videos are well organized, high quality, and follow a format, so you can pretty easily go back and find the part that you want to review again without too much hunting. So far there are three mandolin courses -- probably a couple years worth of material for a beginner like me. I imagine at some point I'll add in a class, some workshops, or some lessons in order to get some feedback on my playing, but I can't see how any of those would replace the video coursework.
    I applaud your effort. If you are playing that much, you really ought to buy a mandolin, the best you can afford. It will reward you with years of joy. You can get a nice mandolin from the classifieds. I just sold a nice Eastman 505 very reasonably, and there are many like me moving up the chain.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dip into Peghead Nation every once in a while for a month's worth of inspiration. As when the Mike Compton lessons went live and, more recently, I paid for a month to see how Joe Walsh went about teaching Jessamyn's Reel. (Spoiler: he does his usual excellent presentation).

Hello Loretta,

So sorry you were having issues on Peghead Nation and that you didn't get our responses to your access problem. Did you get my email from last night about this?

Our records show that we re-instated your access to the Irish Mandolin course at 1:57pm on Saturday, August 13 after receiving three tickets from you between 1:42pm and 1:45pm. Scott sent a reply (from scott(at)pegheadnation.com) to apologize and let you know that he'd fixed your access to the course. Perhaps that response and the one I sent went to a different email folder?

Again, sorry about missing each other. We aim to be as responsive as possible with any issues on Peghead Nation.

Thank you,
    Dan

Dan Gabel
    Co-founder and Executive Producer, Peghead Nation

17. The following members say thank you to Dan Gabel for this post:

Thanks, Dan .... I received emails last night and the site is working now.

I am really enjoying the class so glad I'm able to resume it.

Cheers,

Loretta

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gabel View Post
    Hello Loretta,

So sorry you were having issues on Peghead Nation and that you didn't get our responses to your access problem. Did you get my email from last night about this?

Our records show that we re-instated your access to the Irish Mandolin course at 1:57pm on Saturday, August 13 after receiving three tickets from you between 1:42pm and 1:45pm. Scott sent a reply (from scott(at)pegheadnation.com) to apologize and let you know that he'd fixed your access to the course. Perhaps that response and the one I sent went to a different email folder?

Again, sorry about missing each other. We aim to be as responsive as possible with any issues on Peghead Nation.

Thank you,
    Dan

Dan Gabel
    Co-founder and Executive Producer, Peghead Nation
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Ok, Loretta. I'm glad you're in and enjoying the course!

Thanks,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta Callahan View Post
    Thanks, Dan .... I received emails last night and the site is working now.

I am really enjoying the class so glad I'm able to resume it.

Cheers,

Loretta

I am taking Marla Fibish's class. It is very good. No complaints at all.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

I am a member of peg head nation. I really love it! Instructional videos are broken down into sections. It is presented at a slow pace , then played at a more moderate tempo with rhythm backup. There are also play along tracks which allow for the melody to be practiced over chord progression . PDFs are available for print out . Each selection has a new technique or concept so the lessons constantly are advancing your skill level. I would definitely advise . I also take lessons from an instruction in the community, but often use this material to work on. I have been very satisfied! Love the fact that you can pay by the month $20.00 per class . Where can you get a lesson for that? Cancel or change classes anytime you desire!!! Excellent instructors! You should try it.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fretfet2 For This Useful Post:

I'm using Peghead as well and echo the above reasons. the software works well, the classes are varied and they are all really nice people, highly recommended.

I'm taking Joe Walsh's Advancing Mandolinist course and really like his teaching style and great playing. The music and tabs that accompany the lessons are very helpful and I also love the play along tracks. At $20 per month, this is a great value to me.

Is Peghead Nation a video exchange format similar to Artist works or simply access to specific instructors/lessons?
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by wildpikr View Post
    Is Peghead Nation a video exchange format similar to Artist works or simply access to specific instructors/lessons?
    Ive never been able to access a lesson (it's not tablet/ipad friendy) though it appears it's like mandolessons.com but not free.

I love it, I'm taking Sharon Gilchrest's intermediate class, it's great, I dial in when I can, 20 bucks a month is well worth it

I too recently started with Mike Marshall. I am blown away. I have one set of feedback from him and already it is completely changing my orientation to the mandolin. Great pointed feedback on fundamentals. Plus watching him do all these lessons I am starting to internalize his relaxed right and left hands. It's by far the best thing I've ever done for my playing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PiginaPen View Post
    Ive never been able to access a lesson (it's not tablet/ipad friendy)
    Eh? I use an iPad to access the lessons and bounce them to the Apple TV at least once a week (or just view them on the iPad). Works loverly. Without more detail, I have no idea what the problem might be on your end, though.

I use peghead nation and really like the Joe Walsh and Shannon Gilchrist courses. It has definitely improved my playing.

I gotta put in a word for Mike Compton. I subscribe to his Monroe style lessons on Peghead. I've had no problem with access. There isn't a better Monroe style video series out there if that's what you're looking for.

I've signed up for one of their free trials on occasion, but then stopped because I could barely find the time to practice.

The lessons are generally quite good, though, for giving you the basics of the chosen style. Marla Fibish's Irish mando course is particularly good about this, because she goes into detail about the peculiarities of the style and associated technique before jumping into the tunes.

Joe Walsh's intermediate course felt a bit 'basic' to me in this regard, but he does teach some cool tunes.

And a big thumbs up to the Bruce Molsky OT violin course, I just wish I had the time to go through them all :/
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt