Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peghead Nation - Any users?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Peghead Nation - Any users?

Peghead Nation lessons with Joe Walsh are well made and consist of interesting material. Joe is a good teacher in this medium. I look forward to someday catching a workshop with him. I have also taken lessons with Sharon Gilchrist , another Peghead teacher, and she is also an excellent teacher. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I'm also subscribed to Joe Walsh's lessons. He does a great job and I love the song selection (trad bluegrass plus a lot of Dawg/swing stuff).

I also like Sharon Gilchrist's videos. I switch back and forth between the two.

You can't download and save the videos but you can print out the tab.

Quote Originally Posted by PiginaPen View Post
    Ive never been able to access a lesson (it's not tablet/ipad friendy) though it appears it's like mandolessons.com but not free.
    Hi PiginaPen,
    Sorry you were having trouble with Peghead Nation. The responsive design for mobile devices on the site is functioning, so you should be able to access blogs, subscribe to instructional courses, and watch videos on your tablet without a problem. If you'd like to send me a direct message at dan(at)pegheadnation.com with some of the details of what you're experiencing, I'm happy to help you work it out.

Thanks, and again, sorry for the inconvenience,
    Dan Gabel
    Co-Founder and Executive Producer, Peghead Nation

I've been using Joe Walsh's Peghead Nation lessons for a while. The song selections are of a nice variety and Joe makes them accessible and easy enough to learn as long as you have the requisite chops.

My biggest gripe is that occasionally the fundamental concepts behind some of the lessons are not as well described as the mechanics of playing the songs themselves. Learning cool tunes is fun and a great way to impress friends and family, but I'm also wanting a deeper understanding of playing mandolin. I can usually figure them out, either by re-watching a few times, listening carefully when it's hard to see exactly what he is doing, or pairing with external research. This may not be a limitation of the format but of how my brain learns so YMMV.

That being said, it's only $20 a month which is still a great deal for all that you can get out of it. I must admit that I am considering (temporarily?) cancelling my subscription because I'm currently focused on nailing down specific tunes to be used in an upcoming Mando camp in August, with any extra time used for improv theory and playing techniques that are outside the scope of the Peghead lessons. Only having time for learning songs online once or twice a month makes it harder to justify paying for them.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daniels View Post
    I've been using Joe Walsh's Peghead Nation lessons for a while. The song selections are of a nice variety and Joe makes them accessible and easy enough to learn as long as you have the requisite chops.

My biggest gripe is that occasionally the fundamental concepts behind some of the lessons are not as well described as the mechanics of playing the songs themselves. Learning cool tunes is fun and a great way to impress friends and family, but I'm also wanting a deeper understanding of playing mandolin. I can usually figure them out, either by re-watching a few times, listening carefully when it's hard to see exactly what he is doing, or pairing with external research. This may not be a limitation of the format but of how my brain learns so YMMV.
    C.
    I think he does a pretty good job of explaining the "why" as well as the "how". For example, on Cuckoo's Nest he talks about the melody following the arpeggios of each chord. For the Grisman tunes, it gets a little more complicated and it would digress too much (in my opinion) to explain why each piece of a melody works. Usually, if you know your scales and arpeggios, you can figure it out. A lot of times, there is no "why", it just sounds cool and it's in the key of the song so that's all there is to it. Other times, it could probably get really complicated (like "this is a tri-tone substitution for ..." yada yada yada). For me personally, I just want to learn how to play the songs and get a tip or bit of advice here and there.

Joe Walsh teaches on Peghead Nation? I did not even know he played mandolin, wow. That seems like a pretty big score for Scott Nygaard and company.
    May those who love us, love us. And those who don't love us, May God turn their hearts;
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles, So we will know them by their limping.

Not the Eagles guy
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Not the Eagles guy
    Perhaps that's why he always introduces himself as "Joe K Walsh."

I've been subscribed to his lessons for several months and really enjoy his tune selection and teaching.

I'm working through Mike Compton's lessons. I'm more of a Monroe style player (or wannabe) so they're very good for me. He seems to have chosen songs with breaks that have different approaches--sliding double stops, downstrokes, bluesy, arpeggios.... Like all lessons, I think they're most useful if you expand on them yourself. For example, I took a Monroe lick over the five chord in A and used it in a different song someone played in our jam. And when someone sang a 3/4 time song with the same chords as "How Will I Explain About You" which Compton teaches, I adapted that break and it worked well.

I've also gone through Mike Marshall on Artistworks. He's very good, though for me personally there wasn't enough new material. Overall, these online courses seem to me well worth the money.
    Cary Fagan