Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5-string solid body electric--advice?

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

Default Re: 5-string solid body electric--advice?

Might be worth a look .... In Brazil, a 5 string emando is a Guitarra Baiana (Bahaian Guitar) ....a mini electric guitar!!!!!

At current rates, $136.00 so very inexpensive ....and it has a purpose made 5 string humbucker rather than a guitar pickup
    NFI.

We discussed Guitarra Baiana previously on the Cafe, to the point where one of us was thinking about importing them and reselling them on the US market as emandos. I don't know whatever became of that.

I have heard horror stories about doing business with makers IN Brazil, especially when it came to acoustic instruments (even before CITES). I have no idea if those problems also affected electric instrument makers. I was joking with my family about picking up several instruments when I go down to see the Olympics in Rio, but now I'm too chicken to do it (for more reasons than having instruments seized in customs).

Wanting a five string electric mandolin and being on a budget, I bought a cool-looking little Chinese 8 string electric mandolin that looked a bit like a Rickenbacker. I found a five string Telecaster-style tailpiece with screw-adjusted intonation. (Perfect intonation for all strings!) I replaced the pickup with a high quality jazz guitar pickup. I replaced the cheap pots with StewMac's high end pots. I shes lied the cavities with copper and made sure that the bridge was grounded. I dressed the frets and made sure they were perfect. I made and installed a new bone five string nut. I string it up with half a set of flatwound electric Mandola strings from eMando and an extra .010 E string. I used all the tuners on the right and only the last D tuner on the left side (for the C string) as the extra length on the C string is a help.

I'm very pleased with the result, and I've been playing it in my band off and on for a couple years. We play only swing. I've learned that I get the Jazz guitar sound I want only be playing without a pick. Wes Montgomery style. Using a pick destroys the sound. If I want to use a pick, I'll use an acoustic mandolin. Also, with an acoustic, I play sharp, slashing chords and a lot of rhythmic dampened chords. With the electric, I have to play chords very gently, often in an arpeggio style. The old-fashioned thump of an old f-hole hollow body jazz guitar won't work.

Single string soloing is very nice. The C string tension is a little less than perfect, but it's close, and I only now and then use that string for a solo. The big thing for me is having the C string for chords. I play entirely three-finger chords all over the neck without open strings, so the chords are all moveable. About half a dozen finger positions let me play any chord in The Real Book, and I can play in any key without problem. Once you know this half dozen shapes, it's just a matter of knowing where to put them on the fretboard. The huge difference is that with an eight string mandolin a lot of chords become two finger chords on the G and D strings in order to keep the same pattern I'd play elsewhere. With the C string available, I can move from a three string D7 to a three string G7 simply by moving the pattern over a fret. I rarely play a chord that includes the E string, as I like the lower sound for chords with swing, in general.

Unlike an electric guitar, with an electric five string mandolin with a 14" scale, it's harder to bend strings, and vibrato doesn't work well, and the sustain is less. Apart from that, I like the Jazz guitar tone I'm getting. Apart from getting a bit more tension for the C string, I don't really see the reason in going to Mandola scale length. I also love the extremely low mandolin action, so much better than with a guitar, and the light weight.

4. The following members say thank you to BlueMountain for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    What I love about the five string is that it has a greater range than a six string guitar. I should get a five.
    Not to be picky, but a 6 string guitar tuned EADGBE has a wider range than a 5 string mandolin tuned CGDAE.

Adjusting for octaves, the guitar can go a 6th lower than the mandolin. Same upper range, so the guitar has a wider range.

Not by much, though!

I've said before, that I thought an electric, solid body, four or five string mandolin has essentially the same musical contribution as an electric guitar: however, since the mandolin is tuned in fifths, it isn't played like a guitar. Some rifts are actually easier played on a mandolin than a guitar; an example of which would be a blues shuffle(6th and flatted 7th) played against the root and 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Not to be picky, but a 6 string guitar tuned EADGBE has a wider range than a 5 string mandolin tuned CGDAE.

Adjusting for octaves, the guitar can go a 6th lower than the mandolin. Same upper range, so the guitar has a wider range.

Not by much, though!
    Having done a conversion on more than one instrument from 6-string standard-tuning intervals to 5-string fifths tuning, the 5-string instruments all had more range in fifths tuning. The top string remains the same, and the lowest string is tuned two whole notes below the 6-string standard tuning.

How do those two added full steps wind up being less range?

Looking at the Gold Tone GME-5 which started this topic, it has 18 frets, so it goes from C3 to Bb6, which is a range of four octaves minus a half-step. A 19-fret Telecaster goes from E2 to B5, a three octaves and a fifth.

One could limit the number of frets which a 5-string e-mando is allowed to have, of course. A given e-mando could only be compared to, say, a standard-tuned guitar with five more frets than the proposed maximum on the 5-string e-mando, giving the guitar an additional half-step of range.

----

To make it easier to visualize...

I do sometimes run across old Celloblasters, the 5-string fifths-tuned electric guitars. They also have two whole steps more range (open strings from C2 to E4) than 6-string standard-tuned guitars (open strings from E2 to E4) with the same number of frets.

A 5-string fifths-tuned instrument will always have two more whole steps of range than a standard-tuned 6-string guitar with the same number of frets.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I string my Steinberger convertible to have the best of both worlds of bari guitar/mandocello growl and octave mandolin in 5 strings CGDAE. The C is below the guitar's low E, giving a bit more range. For added measure, it has 24 frets.
    Eastman MD505w/K&K, MDO315 w/K&K, MD415GD, Emando (JBbouvier) 5-string