Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CT55 - lovely tone but not loud enough!

Default Re: CT55 - lovely tone but not loud enough!

I haven't had longing for any more volume with my TAD60-3R, but that may just be because my Flatbush is a pretty stout mando. Playing in a 6 piece band (2 guitars) it jumps out plenty from the others I think. I do prefer my own personal tone and abilities at less than full volume attack though of course. Not sure if the bevel difference from the TAD to the CT may alter that.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    OK folks, quick update. Just received a non-grippy Primetone 1.5 triangle from Mandobassman (thanks!!).

It's signifincantly louder than the Blue Chip CT55 and the tone is quite similar. Not quite as loud as a Wegen TF140, but it has a sweeter tone. Need to play a bit more, but it's definitely up there in my top 3!

cheers

John
    Wow! You got that faster than some things I've sent across the United States. Amazing.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

I know this is a CT-55 thread, but we've been talking about alternatives, and I also use the CT-55, so bear with me.

I got my TPR-60 a few days ago. I really really like the feel of this one. I've only used it while practicing solo, so not in a jam or rehearsal or anything, but I think this pick brings out the best tone for my playing and my mandolin.

I can also say that it's making my right hand motion a bit smoother, and less jerky. Maybe because the pick is a little smaller than the TAD/CT size, or because it's not as pointy, I'm not sure. (Might just be like the first few days with a new putter, where you forget what the old one feels like, and your brain has more to think about, so it's distracted, and you don't have the yips.)

It's probably temporary, but it'll be interesting to use it when playing with others, like when I feel like I need to play "loud."

4. The following members say thank you to terzinator for this post:

Kowboy 

I have to admit that I was a BC skeptic. After all, who in their right mind would pay $35 for a pick? Well, I received my CT55 just last week. It amazes me that a simple pick can affect tone and volume as much as it did. I only wish I had bought it sooner. My daughter and boyfriend didn't know that I had gotten it and I did a blind test with the BC vs. my other favorite pick. Each time they picked the BC as the better sounding. I had them test the picks on me and the outcome was the same. The BC won every time.
    Going to test it on my instructor this evening. He has been picking for 40+ years. I am kind of curious of the outcome.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

After playing the TPR-60 for a couple of weeks, I put it down and picked up the CT-55.

The CT-55 is much louder than the TPR-60, and sounds great. Better than I remember.

So here's the deal, it's kind of like the TPR-60 is a practice pick. Like a drummer uses a practice pad or something. It helps with my right-hand/wrist/arm motion. Then getting the CT-55 back, my hand seems to remember the nice motion I'd modeled with the TPR, and it plays more smoothly, and with more volume, and the tone is there, too.

Further tests are warranted, but for now, suffice it to say that blah blah blah blah blah.

You can quote me if you want.