Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best mandolin below $1000

Blog Entries

Default Re: best mandolin below $1000

If you don't have to have to have an arch top, there are two flat tops in the classifieds under $400 that would be solid good mandolins to play. Not bluegrassers necessarily, but wonderful player's instruments on which you can take the road to excellence.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

In my search for the "one", I've owned twelve or more mandolins over the last 15 years, a couple of them in the $3,000 (used price) range, both A and F styles. I finally decided my lack of playing time dictated that I own good but less expensive instruments. The things I recommend you consider carefully are the A vs. F style, and the way the neck feels in your hand. In my experience, and in reading most all the threads about it for the last several years, a radius fretboard is not a big difference for most people. Larger frets, though, do seem to make a mandolin play more easily. Threads on this are easily found.

I'm fortunate to live where I can play quite a few mandolins, in stores and at jams, etc. If you decide on an A style I think the Kentucky KM 950, The Loar LM 400 or the JBovier A style seem like top candidates. They are at different price points, and I think all have the larger fret size. After much study, I settled on a The Loar LM 700. I first tried the Loar LM 400 (A style) because I liked the tone better than the Loar LM 300, which seems to be because of the difference in the bracing (actually the lack of it).

Because I really wanted an F, I ended up with the LM 700, which is the same construction as the A style LM 400. I have been very happy with it. I bought mine new from Folkmusician.com, with an upgrade to a CA bridge, which cost a little over $1,000. They do an excellent set up, and great service, and will talk to you on the phone to explain the differences in the many models they sell. Of course, there are other good dealers, most of which are Cafe sponsors.

Good luck with your decision!
    Riley

Kentucky KM-250

Guitars:
    RainSong SMH
    Blueridge BR-142
    The Loar LH-250
    Recording King RPS-9
    A Strat and a Tele

I would surely take Flatiron A5!

Quote Originally Posted by blue-eyed-mary View Post
    All these years, I had no idea that what I thought was normal wasn't. My action is too high at the top of the neck. It cant be fixed on this inexpensive Epiphone/Gibson that my family got me for Christmas 15 years ago. Wow. I had always been frustrated with how hard it was to get a good sound out of her (hence I have not progressed far in my playing) because it took so much effort to press the strings down on the neck.
    The high action would explain that problem ... I've had a couple mandos and guitars like that and they can be very frustrating. In a pinch, if it's not too bad you can stick to the lower 5-7 frets and just don't play high up the neck, which will serve you for most learning purposes early on. I don't know why yours can't be fixed, but often they can.

That said. My luthier recommends Kentucky for a good starter. Also Eastman. There are so many variously priced, but I cant tell why. I like that both the Kentucky and Eastman are hand carved. I have a love affair with the F-style. What do you think is the best mandolin out there for under $1,000.
    Any Kentucky or Eastman model is likely to give good value for the money especially if bought lightly used and well set up. They make a lot of models but there's no guarantee a higher model number will be better than a lower model number. I've found the KM-150 to be an excellent starter model for under $200. My Rover RM-50 is by the same company and it is as good as any $500 instrument I've tried.

Mae,
    I've been through this recently too. I just want to throw out there that the set-up is a huge part of the playability and enjoyment you get out of a fretted instrument. I'm surprised if your luthier cannot tweak the nut and or bridge to improve the instrument you currently have. Removing material from either is a common adjustment to lower string height. I'm not a luthier, but I have a good one and just had the bridge on a used Breedlove I bought tweaked this way and it plays perfectly for me now. I prefer ~ low action. Maybe it's not cost-effective on your mando? Sometimes, several hundred dollars may be necessary to right a wrong instrument. My recent bridge adjustment cost me ~$70. I believe you will enjoy a cheap instrument with a good setup more than a quality instrument with a bad setup.

To anyone looking for an inexpensive or used mando (or guitar): Be prepared to have a setup done to achieve the action and playability you want. An instrument is not right until it has a good setup that matches your playing style.
    No matter how well I play guitar, the audience always wants more mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    No discussion aproved before you will have read this: http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/pub...s_001443.shtml

And I might ad a !!

A must read.
    Excellent read. I am printing it off as I type.
    Thanks!

Mae....do yourself a favor, go to the Mandolin Store's website (NFI) and order a Kentucky KM272 (A style / oval hole) and put the extra
    $600.00 away for when MAS hits...
    I have had one since October of last year and I love it.

Sandy

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Once you want an F-style, there will be no peace in the universe until....

I have seen 2 eastmans' used, both F-style, one was 600series, one was 800-series
    = either, less than 7. w case. These are 1000 units.

There's no warr on used. They may or may not have had proper setup. Setup costs money. Repairs cost money. But if you start low on the cost, you can justify maybe 100-200 to make it right. Starting new, might also need setup, repairs - don't ask how I know this. Actually, you might already know this.

Speaking of low action - if you can see under the strings easily, it might be too high. Seems you have some things to learn. A half decent learner might be good - tons of them around for 100.00 = can sell it for same price. Spend some time on that; then you will know what you want , and what it looks like, and feels like.
    Which means "discernment". Cheers.

Enjoy the search, and the learning experience.
    Websites are like window shopping. There is no lack and no hurry. Take the time you need.

One last thing - web site price, is not store price, is not street price, is not used price. You are now ready to shop.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

1. New F Style: JBovier, Eastman md315 or md515
    A Style: Kentucky referenced previous (900 model I think)

2. Used: many US builders F models that pop up in the classifieds for right around $1K,
    A Style: Gibson A9, Flatiron Performer (Nashville)/Festival (Bozeman)A models

Happy Hunting!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I own 2 of the mandolins already suggested. An Eastman 315 that is my go to mandolin. I had a 515 but the 315 sounded better and I sold the 515 and bought my Breedlove Premier FF, already suggested and a very good mandolin. I recently bought a The Loar 500 that really jumped at me and sounded better than the 600 beside it.

Check out the classifieds KM-1500 for 1K (NFI).

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Mary, right now there is a KM-1500 in the classifieds for $1000. That is about a third of the msrp and half of new retail. If I had the cash it'd be on its way home right now. You won't soon find a better value. Good luck in your search.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Mangio View Post
    Check out the classifieds KM-1500 for 1K (NFI).
    My thoughts exactly - that one looked nice of 1 grand What year is it do you think?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie...Just did a quick search; I think that Mando flew off the Board.

Quote Originally Posted by dnallred View Post
    I'll be the first to recommend J. Bovier. I think an new F will run you around $950. You'll see them in the classifieds from time to time -could probably find a used F for under $800. Great mandolin for the money, mine beat out all the Kentucky's, Eastman's, and Loar's I played.

http://www.mandolins.ecrater.com/
    I've had a JBovier F for 6 years, and still absolutely love it. I took it to a bluegrass seminar at University of Louisiana a couple of years ago, and the mando instructor asked to play it and was blown away! he had heard about them but never got to play one and loved it. took it away from me for a while while he showed off his talent. Sure wish I could play like that!!

I just got hold of a '94 Flatiron Festival A off of the local Craig's List - where usually there seems little or no mandolin action to be had. No great looker, no binding, but tone bar braced, and it would give any mandolin a run for its money in sound and playability. The punchy chop sold it to me. And for the low price, it offers an embarrassment of riches. It really is the sub-$1000 mandolin that many seek but few seem to find.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Keep your eyes peeled for 1910s Gibson A models. I've managed to get two, both under $1000. Don't be discouraged by superficial imperfections or even the odd crack, as long as it's minor. These were built with fine craftsmanship and that aged wood produces resonance that's hard to beat, especially in this price range.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Used weber gallatin