Thread: The Loar LM 590

Default The Loar LM 590

Does anyone have an opinion on the Loar LM 590. This is their all solid mando with the satin finish versus the poly of the 520 or the nitro of the 600. Can't find too many reviews. Love the look of the satin.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Loar LM 590

I bought mine last November and I love it. I am thinking about replacing the factory installed bridge with a Cumberland bridge, but I don't think I really have too. I bought it because it doesn't have the extended fretboard. and was set up by my local shop & sounds great. The neck fit's my left-hand perfectly. The satin finish is so pretty. There is a Loar group here on the Cafe, and I posted this as well... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/gr...976&do=discuss

and also this post:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...s-in-the-house

Take care & keep on picking.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

3. The following members say thank you to Richard J for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

It has good specs w solid woods, and rosewood fretboard,
    Neck has 20 frets - which means no 29fret peninsula - people usually scoop out the upper frets leaving about 20-21 frets, cos the peninsula frets get in the way of pick, and those tiny frets spacings are almost unuseable.

520 has 29frets peninsula.
    I don't think there's too much difference except that finish you like, and it's supposedly a lighter finish, which would tend to help sound theoretically.

I have always like the 520. I own a 700. I like the plain jane look and idea of the 520; but having owned a 700 I don't really care for the 29peninsula.
    The 700 vs the 590 is largely about maple vs triple A flame maple. The cost jumps for that reason. I don't know if it's really worth it. Maple is good hard tonewood, flame is nice to look at. The 700 finish is nitrocellulose lacquer.

I think you are headed in the right direction w the 590.

Recommend play it first. And esp. make sure it's well setup before you buy, including fret dressing = leveling of frets, and recrowning after the levelling. Plus action setup. Some stores include that = folkmusician.com = talk to Robert Fear. He does nice setups - see descript on his site. email for more info.

Yes, buy what you like; if you like that finish, I don't see that you are giving up much to get it.
    but do focus on what's included in setup - important.
    If you get the setup done, you won't have to look for a luthier/repair later. And the mandothingy will play as it's supposed to. Robert Fear can discuss that with you. If it's cost a little more, it's worth it. (maybe as much as 75$, maybe included, etc. etc.)
    do the research - as you are already.
    hope this helps.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

I'm new here & new to mandolins reading a lot of posts about the entry level mandos. I played guitar for years and do not want a crap insturment. With the info I gained from this forum I'm looking at the Loar 520 and the lower priced Eastmans problem is the music stores around here don't carry a good selection of nice mandos they have a ton of cheap ones though that I won't even touch. Finally last night I got to "play" a 520 and a Loar 320 I think (it's lower priced model) I fell in love with that 520 it seemed to be set up perfect very low action, no buzz even down below the 20th fret. It had a sweet tone, there was big tone difference between the 520 & 320. I tried a few others mandos in the shop but none of came close to the 520. The 520 was the stores most expensive mando. After seeing this post on the 590 knowing I will never use all frets on a 520 my question is about tone, will the 590 sound like the 520 ? And is the neck shape fret size about the same as the 520 ? Also kind of a general question, is there much difference in tone from mando to the same model mando ? I'm going to buy from a local store or the folk music store who's a site sponser here and mak sure it gets set up right. Last night the sales guy was telling me I need buy that 520 because not every one sounds that good and if I pass it up I may be sorry. He knew I really really liked that mando & I think he was kinda hard selling me.
    Thanks for all the knowledge you guys saved me from myself !
    Lou

Almost bought that one! Liked the thinner finish and the shorter fretboard. I wound up going with the LM-600. It'll arrive early next week!! I'll post some pics and info. I think the 590 would be great, from what I've read. Couldn't find videos of it. Good luck!!

Hi Lou,

The LM-520, 590 and 500 are basically the same mandolin. There will be no difference in the neck/frets. Theoretically, it could sound better than the 520 (due to the finish), but I have not noticed any real difference.

There is some variation from mandolin to mandolin, but not as much as you would expect. If they are equally setup, with the same age of string and same amount of play time, they will be very similar. Most of the time the main difference from one to another, will be setup. Mainly the fret seating/dressing and the bridge fitting. Strings will play a major factor, as does the climate it is stored in and the amount of recent playtime it has on it.

It sounds like you may have played a 375. If so, this is a solid top with laminated back and sides. The LM-520 would sound better than the 375.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

8. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Hi Lou,

The LM-520, 590 and 500 are basically the same mandolin. There will be no difference in the neck/frets. Theoretically, it could sound better than the 520 (due to the finish), but I have not noticed any real difference.

There is some variation from mandolin to mandolin, but not as much as you would expect. If they are equally setup, with the same age of string and same amount of play time, they will be very similar. Most of the time the main difference from one to another, will be setup. Mainly the fret seating/dressing and the bridge fitting. Strings will play a major factor, as does the climate it is stored in and the amount of recent playtime it has on it.

It sounds like you may have played a 375. If so, this is a solid top with laminated back and sides. The LM-520 would sound better than the 375.
    Thanks for info. It was a 375 I played. So with the 520, 590, & 500 basically equal in tone & build it will make the choice easier (I think) it's good to hear the quality control at Loar makes the instruments consistently the same. Now I just need to pick one ! I figured the strings would make a difference I asked the sales guy if the 375 & the 520 had the same strings he didn't know. The 520 played and sounded so much better than the 375 it surprised me. Now it's decision time.

The 375 and 520 do have the same strings from the factory. They would also have the same playability, assuming equal setups. The difference is just the tone and cosmetics.

Now if you get these without good setups, there will be very noticeable variations from mandolin to mandolin.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    The 375 and 520 do have the same strings from the factory. They would also have the same playability, assuming equal setups. The difference is just the tone and cosmetics.

Now if you get these without good setups, there will be very noticeable variations from mandolin to mandolin.
    Robert,
    I used to own a LM 600 but had to part with it for financial reasons. It looked like a million bucks and sounded very nice, even under my clumsy fingers. Is there a difference between the 590 and 600 in terms of construction of the body? I know you lose the nice binding and headstock inlay, but beyond the "Florida", what is the difference between the two?

THANK YOU for taking the time to be so patient with people on here.

Blog Entries

Delaware, I think this sounds like a very nice mandolin. Robert Fear explained it well, although I want to humbly add: the 590 is a matter of the look and feel of its satin finish with understated trim, similar to the Gibson F9 (if I understand correctly). I have been very impressed with The Loar mandolins and look forward to having one soon. I think the LM 590 looks like a great pick!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

A couple of years ago, I suspected that the 520 and 600 might be entirely different. I took measurements of the LM-520 vs. the LM-600 and it confirmed this. All the body measurements were just a bit different. This confirmed that they were not just the same mandolin with a bit more effort put into graduating the LM-600 and then adding some bling. You do hear the difference as well. In my opinion the LM-520 is the hands down best F-style at the price point, but it still doesn't stack up to an LM-600 in tone. In workmanship and playability, it does.

So, I was about to say that the 590 is also different than the 600 (and it is as far as tone goes), but I haven't actually took measurements of a LM-590 to be exactly sure what those differences are aside from the cosmetics.

I do have both of the mandolins in stock, so maybe I will compare them a bit closer.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

14. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

I've been after one of these on eBay myself, totally want one but I'm the guy who has to get the deal of a century on it or I want get it, lol

16. The following members say thank you to TheOne-N-OnlyHomer for this post: