Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technology used while playing/practicing mandolin

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Default Re: Technology used while playing/practicing mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I'm still running my wives old XP laptop (Acer TM 2410 - perhaps 10 years old) and Youtube works for me. I found that newest versions of flash player killed the computer so I reinstalled clean XP SP2 and installed old version of flash (something from 2013, found in the archives of adobe). Mozilla keeps on informing me that the version is old and not secure but you can force it to allow the player. Works OK, videos sometimes get interrupted but that's likely weak graphic chip of the laptop. The only thing that doesn't work in that is one local streaming TV channel that uses something newer, incompatible.
    Thanks, HoGo. I actually thought of that. I don't like the idea of reinstall xP; but I have been there before. I keep MY stuff on another physical drive, so it tends to be isolated from the ravages of a reinstall. I might try to uninstall Adobe, and DOWNdate like you suggested (something from 2013). Nice of Adobe to dump their security glitches on people via excessive updates.
    I also use Mozilla FFox /AdBlock /and a new toy they added last update to DEL recent browzing - had to use that recently at a Kohler engine site, got 50 pop ups, 50 Ffox's opened - wow. Pooter was hopping, until I dumped the "recent browzing". ok now.

It seems the Utube died soon after Adobe update - I had DELAYED that update for some 6 months++ - things have been a mess since then. update(s).

I run a pretty clean machine, usually. Dump all junk files regularly, then go dump WIN/tempfiles and TempInternetFiles manually, Registry scan w RegVac. After that I have to login everywhere again, no big deal, after a day or two, it's all normal again.

Thanks much for tuning up my memory, I think you have NAILED it. Now I just have to make it happen. And sort out the chaos that follows, if any. Then I can watch people play mando chunes, aye. Thanx again.

Cheers.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

I use my keyboard to record background music (accompaniment), convert to MP3s and load them in my tablet or smartphone.
    This way, I can perform mandolin playing with my MP3s background music.

Blog Entries

I use Audacity a lot, and the price is perfect.

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

I found myself playing in the same few keys over and over and wanted a way to mix things up. So, I bought a pair of blank dice on Ebay for about £2 and used a Sharpie to write the 12 keys on them. One had C, plus sharp keys (G, D, A, E, B) & the other had flats. Given that the 'sharp' keys one covered the keys a mando player is most likely to play in regularly I used this most, but added the second in to keep me learning.

I'd pick an exercise - scale, arpeggio, chord type etc - then roll the dice and play what they told me.

Helps a lot to spice things up in practice sessions. Not exactly 'tech' though

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt Hutchinson For This Useful Post: