Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick Guards and Arm Rests

Default Pick Guards and Arm Rests

Just a little venting here.... or thanks for controlling my MAS... I have to say, that I'm not a fan of either of these accessories. The thought of having a mando with holes drilled into it for a pickguard, or having the top dented/scratched by an armrest is so displeasing to me that it's actually deal breaker for a used mando, especially a higher end one (and these seem to have them the most). I'm not a pinky planter and the edge doesn't bug me. I've had a couple with these things and they get in my way, so I take them off and stare sadly at the damage they leave. So now I just avoid mandos with them. Even good ones

Anyone else hate these things, or is it just me???
    Taylor 414 Fall Limited Rosewood
    Martin Jeff Tweedy 00-DB

Default Re: Pick Guards and Arm Rests

It's just you, though doubtless other responses might cloud the issue.

I'm a big fan of armrests, and though I don't particularly like pickguards, I'd far rather have one on a used mandolin than a big splodge of pinky-plant wear in the finish.

3. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

I have three mandolins with arm rests and I like them that way. I think they actually sound better and provide me with a comfortable arm angle for picking. I find it is something you get used to and then can't do without. I have noticed from watching many videos of the more famous pickers that they seldom if ever use an arm rest. If a mandolin comes with a pick guard I leave it on there and enjoy it that way.

Yeah true. It's better than getting one with a rub spot, but I just tap it, and hit it, and click it, because my pinky stays curled all the time. Even the floating ones leave two screw holes on the side that bug me.
    Martin Jeff Tweedy 00-DB

To each their own. I personally have a pickguard, armrest and tonegard on both my mandos. So I will scratch you off as a potential future buyer of one of them.
    NoNickel

Duff F5 #196/15
    Plays the "Irv Pearman" Signature Set

All misspellings intentional. Even thsi one.

7. The following members say thank you to NoNickel for this post:

Tobin 

I recently removed my pickguard because playing guitar for so long I am a pinky planter. I took the mando as a totally new instrument and adventure. I also purchased an armrest (leswood) and can tell that my right arm works better when prompt up. I totally understand your point because I love that the mando here's no amp, pedals, etc its basic and to the point. So for me buying new "things" was a challenge.

Blog Entries

I suppose if your just want to rant, that is allowed here.

I fully respect your point of view and was of the same mind for many years back in my bass career days.

As time went on I don't mind dents, scratches, and wear marks specially if it's all from my own playing. It just shows the time I've put into playing an instrument and how much I love doing so.

That said, I'm not a fan of armrest or a tone guard personally, but do subscribe to a pickguard at least on my KM900.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NoNickel View Post
    To each their own. I personally have a pickguard, armrest and tonegard on both my mandos. So I will scratch you off as a potential future buyer of one of them.
    Yup. I vote for this as the best response to the original post.

Over on the Martin forum this thread would include strap buttons and slotted bridges.

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

My otp armrest on Jethro is critical for my comfort because of the corner of the tp. New McClung armrest: $35 in the day. Nice replacement tp: at least twice that and typically more. If I didn't need it (like on my Rigel), or if it didn't come with it from the luthier (Feivel), I don't know I'd go out to get one.

I purposefully added a pg to the Rigel, because the A Nat didn't come with it, and the A+ did. I know that it has spared the top from some damage. I removed the pg from Jethro because it was rattling; I put it back on when I figured out the fix with some help from the Cafe forum.

The Talmud suggests that "there is no debating in matters of taste and smell." I'd suggest the same applies to instrument accessories. If they work for you, awesome. If not, awesome as well. For me, it is all about enhancing the comfort and playability of the instrument.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Greenspoon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Baldridge View Post
    I suppose if your just want to rant, that is allowed here.
    Exactly what I was just thinking. So, you don't like pickguards and arm rests. So what!! I don't really care for pickguards either but never felt compelled to start a Forum post just to tell everyone that. If you don't like those accessories, then by all means don't use them.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

15. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

sblock 

It's a rant of saddness really. I've recently saw a couple of mandolins lately that I liked, that had pickguards/rests, and a couple of nice F5Gs with those giant old Gibson pickguards, and I was like. "Noooooo......!" It is just my personal taste, of course. I guess I was also trying to influence those on the fence, so they could sell me their awesome mandolins in the future pickguard free!!! No offense meant to those who love them, or just want to "pimp their ride".
    Martin Jeff Tweedy 00-DB

I'm not really sure I understand why that is such a deal breaker for you. Most quality armrests have soft pads under the clamps that would prevent marring the finish and the tiny holes for the pick guard can be plugged and re-finished so that they would never be seen. If the instrument really speaks to you, then you really shouldn't let minute things like that bother you. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by mandobassman; May-10-2015 at 4:36pm.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mandobassman For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

If its a vintage mandolin with original pick guard I keep it. It looks cool. If its a vintage or modern that did not come with a pick guard I don't add it.

Instead of an arm rest I use one of those terry cloth arm sleeves that tennis players sometimes wear.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have played mandolin for 50 years and never used a pic guard till about 5 years ago.have trouble with my hands and wrist and while I can still play without it an elevated pick guard allows me to pkwy longer with no pain so for me it's not pimping my mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    If its a vintage mandolin with original pick guard I keep it. It looks cool. If its a vintage or modern that did not come with a pick guard I don't add it.

Instead of an arm rest I use one of those terry cloth arm sleeves that tennis players sometimes wear.
    Do you get tennis wrist?

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

My old Collings didn't have a pickguard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	collingsmt1721-02.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	133923

It was pristine when I got it, and I sold it, "pickguard free," for waaaaay less than I bought it for.

My current Collings has a pickguard.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terzinator For This Useful Post:

It's all personal preference I guess, but, here's my feelings. I love pickguards, and on a vintage Gibson, they are a great insurance policy.
    I would never put an arm rest or toneguard on any mandolin. It would not be a deal breaker in a purchase, but, I would take them off and sell them.
    A serious deal breaker for me is a scooped fingerboard. Passed a lot of mandolins here on the Cafe because of that alteration.
    To each his own.
    Years ago, when I started bow hunting, a bandmate who was a national archery champion several times over, told me to forget all the string releases, sights, blah, blah blah and just learn to use my equipment. Guess that's my take on it still.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    I have noticed from watching many videos of the more famous pickers that they seldom if ever use an arm rest.
    I know, right?

Certainly not all professionals use arm rests or pick guards. But many do. It's just personal preference, and there are very good reasons to use them, or not use them, depending on what's right for the individual player. There is no correlation to be made between the level of professionalism and the choice to use them.

One thing that's beyond question, though, is that they DO protect the instrument from wear. One look at Adam Steffey's mandolin should make it obvious why an arm rest and pick guard would be beneficial for a hard-driving player who wants to keep the finish in good shape.

I do play with an arm rest and pick guard, and find them to be functional as well as protective. But even if I didn't, I'd rather buy a used mandolin that had them on there, knowing that it protected the instrument.

26. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Blog Entries

I am not concerned about wear if it looks to be the result of use and not abuse. I don't care about the honest wear I put on an instrument because I don't sell them. And I certainly don't care what famous pickers do.

That said I do like the pick guard when it is original equipment. It feels like a part of the mandolin - not a mandolin with a pick guard added.

I do see a Tone-Gard as an accessory however. I leave I on once its on but it still feels added - like a mandolins with.

I wear the sleeve mostly because in the summer I find it irritating to have the edge of the instrument jammed into my forearm
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by karlmando View Post
    Just a little venting here.... or thanks for controlling my MAS... I have to say, that I'm not a fan of either of these accessories. The thought of having a mando with holes drilled into it for a pickguard, or having the top dented/scratched by an armrest is so displeasing to me that it's actually deal breaker for a used mando, especially a higher end one (and these seem to have them the most). I'm not a pinky planter and the edge doesn't bug me. I've had a couple with these things and they get in my way, so I take them off and stare sadly at the damage they leave. So now I just avoid mandos with them. Even good ones

Anyone else hate these things, or is it just me???

I do agree. I personally don't care for the look of a pickguard on any mandolin and would certainly order without if I was buying brand new. I would definitely consider that in the price negotiations of buying used when thinking about leaving it on or what is left behind taking it off. I'd probably avoid one unless it was a killer deal.
    Armrests...I have no personal experience with so can't say for sure, but I don't feel like I have a need for it at this time.

I do have and love my Tone Gard on the back.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

i love honest wear and tear, and those two little holes under the neck are completely out of sight and not noticeable. Cant wait till my ellis starts looking like its been played.

Never had much use for an arm rest, but i imagine they do no more damage to the instrument than your sweaty forearm does over time
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    Never had much use for an arm rest, but i imagine they do no more damage to the instrument than your sweaty forearm does over time
    I don't know about other brands of armrest, but the McClung armrest from Hill Country Stringworks is contoured so that the only contact point on the top is a very narrow strip around the rim, and it is lined with cork. It compresses a little when the clamp is tightened, and provides a safe contact surface. I've not been able to discern any evidence of it being installed when I've moved it around or temporarily taken it off. Compared to the permanent big cloudy/dull area on the mandolin from the short time I had played without the armrest, it is a no-brainer to me.

I don't mind honest play wear either, but the other benefits of an armrest (i.e. comfort and better picking angle) coupled with protecting the finish and binding make it a good investment, for me anyway.

I'm generally not a gearhead but I'm thinking about an armrest mainly BC I've noticed that cloudy/dull area from my arm that Tobin mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    I don't know about other brands of armrest, but the McClung armrest from Hill Country Stringworks is contoured so that the only contact point on the top is a very narrow strip around the rim, and it is lined with cork. It compresses a little when the clamp is tightened, and provides a safe contact surface. I've not been able to discern any evidence of it being installed when I've moved it around or temporarily taken it off.
    I've had one on my Gibson F-5G (McClung armrest) for over a year and it has not made any type mark at the contact points. It's a good design.