Thread: Modern Case no more

Hey, I just heard that the Modern Case company went out of business- these are the same as the First Quality "Supercases."

Dang! I waited a couple of weeks too long to get one!

Anybody have any suggestions for something comparable?

I liked the shoulder strap plus the storage on the outside, but I guess you can get the same effect, for about $50 more, with a good wooden case plus a Colorado or Small Dog case cover.

The other option is a Bobelock @ about 225- which would be the price of a wooden case plus a case cover, or thereabouts.

Any other suggestions?

thanks,

Neal

where did you hear they went out of business?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I love my Modern case. #
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

From David Prager, who sold them as a sideline business and couldn't get me one as of today.

Quote Originally Posted by
    rnjl Posted

...Anybody have any suggestions for something comparable?

I liked the shoulder strap plus the storage on the outside, but I guess you can get the same effect, for about $50 more, with a good wooden case plus a Colorado or Small Dog case cover.

The other option is a Bobelock @ about 225- which would be the price of a wooden case plus a case cover, or thereabouts.

Any other suggestions?
    If you can live without the large outside storage compartment you can't go wrong with a Travelite for $60. It's got all the thermal and impact protection you need in a
    case that's way lighter than any wooden one.

GVD
    GVD

You might try First Quality Music

http://www.fqms.com/SuperCase_C1239.cfm

They still show them.

I picked up one from the classifieds a few weeks ago and really like it. My Vega cylinder back fits perfectly with lots of protection.

For everyday use my vote is also for the Travelite. Excellant protection in an easy carrying and lighter weight package. Good carrying straps, latch, velcro, zipper and handle wrap make for good security and mine came with an analogue thingy to measure humidity. All for less than sixty dollars with shipping from ebay and they are on there most of the time.

GVD - nice to meet you at Mandofest. What a blast.

jim d

try the ultralite case from Stew-Mac (www.stew-mac.com).

not that i've gotten my CAS under control i have one and it works just fine.

and it's inexpensive too.

WBL

I'm sad to say that it is true; Modern has gone out of business. As Neal said, I've been selling the Modern cases for a number of #years. Today I had to turn back orders. Thanks to all you folks who ordered cases from me over the past few years. My goal was provide a good quality case at a very good price.

The following is quoted from publication called Musical Merchandise Review or MMR:

"Modern Case Co., the Ewen, Mich.-based case manufacturer of Ambassador, Ultralite, and Hercules cases, ended production and closed its doors"

"Company president John Kappler commented, "I feel like we fought a good fight in this market, but we just could not compete with a high-quality product in a market driven by the prices of imported products. Just my benefits cost per employee hour exceeded the total daily pay of the case and gig bag makers at the Chinese plants and the market for custom products is not large enough to sustain this business any longer."
    You can't get there from here.

Hi David- thanks for trying to get me the case at First Quality, but the only ones they have left are the reflective ones that look like tin foil.

Alas!

njl

Man...glad I got one when I did...with all the discussion on other posts about cushioning the peghead area and general aspects of high-end instrument protection, these cases are great in all respects, especailly in extra storage which even Calton or Pegasus could not match...

i bought a supercase around christmas time used off ebay for around $40 shipped. sorry to see them fold though.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I guess that leaves GWW as the only US case company that I know of. I just orderd a few from them. I also used a few from Modern, but they were just too utilitarian for my taste, even though I thought they were very good and protective. If they only had offered a plush interior I might have stuck with them.
    So there's another handful of unemployed because we only look at "how much does it cost". In the end it's going to cost us plenty.

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

You said it, Jim. I don't think many people will know just how understated your comment is. I don't think many people really see what is happening in the global economy right now. I have never been one of those flag-toting "Buy American" jingoistic types...in fact, I've generally been at the opposite end of the spectrum. But I have begun to see what is really happening here, and it concerns me greatly.

The big-picture issues are best left for another forum. But on a small scale, relevant to our little world of music, I would just say -- if you can find two comparable products, and one is made on American soil and the other is made on some other soil, you would be doing yourself and your children a favor, in the long run, by looking to the American product. The death of Modern Case Co. is just one small example of the consequences of doing otherwise.

Many American companies are making good mandolins for an entry level market at reasonable prices. Gibson's 9 Series, the Breedlove Quartz, the lower-priced Webers, some of the Rigels, even the new Collings MT's and lots of others, including some of the small builders we see here. These companies also make very fine instruments at another level. They are struggling to compete with the cheap, factory made instruments from abroad, made by companies that *do not* also make fine instruments. If we don't support them, we will lose not only the good entry-level instruments, but also the fine ones.

I'm not preaching doom and gloom. I know there are countervailing factors. But these are economic realities, and we will ignore them at our own peril.

<soapbox off>

Mark
    J. Mark Lane
    Stanley #10 F5
    Pomeroy #72 F4
    Brian Dean #30 Bowlback

Enter... the dreamer...

Who still invisions the earth as one... One whole world that should act accordingly to help each other out. And share. No divisions...

..hmmmm...points well taken....makes me wonder what mine ..which is A1 condition is worth.....it could be for sale

Quote Originally Posted by (OdnamNool @ April 15 2005, 09:38)
    Enter... the dreamer...

Who still invisions the earth as one... #One whole world that should act accordingly to help each other out. #And share. #No divisions...
    Cheers to that dream.

Joy to all,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

I guess that's why they haven't been returning my calls, and there hasn't even been an answering machine there the last week or so.

For what its worth, there is an order from me for 4 cases - 2 standard, 2 custom - sitting on their desk. #I sent it in well over a month ago, and was planning to give them all of my business if they did a good job on these 4 cases. #

It is a shame they are no longer in business, and it is a shame that they couldn't get it together to call me and tell me what was going on. #I now have a wonderful 2 point mandola that is finished, a willing buyer that is waiting, and I am back to square one trying to get a custom case made for it.

Will Kimble

...that bites Will....hope things work out for you. You could always give Rob Anderson a call....he builds great custom cases....may be more than what you want to spend but maybe you and the client could work it out. What about those Light Cases from Stew-Mac?

I am expecting my custom case from Rob Anderson maybe next week. There are still some US guys building them. John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by (J. Mark Lane @ April 15 2005, 07:30)
    You said it, Jim. #I don't think many people will know just how understated your comment is. #I don't think many people really see what is happening in the global economy right now. #I have never been one of those flag-toting "Buy American" jingoistic types...in fact, I've generally been at the opposite end of the spectrum. #But I have begun to see what is really happening here, and it concerns me greatly.
    Mark

I understand your post and agree. The current economy is scaring me greatly. If we (North Americans) do not wake up and support our own economy we will soon wake up and realize that we have increased the quality of life in other countries (NAFTA) but have lost more within our own. It goes back to the idea of the trickle down policy. After awhile you are only trickling down someone else's leg.
    Gibson A9
    Eastman 804D two point, blonde

Nothing is fool proof for a talented fool

It's hard not to go off on another direction (I won't) when a nice quality, American-made MANDOLIN product folds...

...but you guys are right...

We are only hurting ourselves in the long run...

In a way, this is sadder than when the big price increase from the G-boys hit Cafe. With that, we consumers/players complained about prices.

I dare say the employees who made these fine cases and are now out of their jobs, are feeling more than just complaining..."bewilderment" comes to mind...you can add you own adjectives. I truly feel for them and their families.

There are A and F Modern cases for sale in the classifieds.

I had a Modern case a while back...real good case...probably should have kept it. It's a shame they couldn't keep hanging on.

Scotti...I've got an Ultralite from Stew-Mac now (still miss the Pag). It's a real nice case for the $$ and is all I really need. I think for the $$ they are a great buy. Will try and post some pics later today.

WBL

finally got a few pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC_008F.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	8484  

one more...

Stew-Mac case is great...fits good and is low on the $$$ scale...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC_009F.JPG_scaled.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	8485