Thread: Eastman MD-305 owners - anyone buy a Toneguard for it?

Default Eastman MD-305 owners - anyone buy a Toneguard for it?

And if you did, can you tell me which one you bought and whether you think it was worth it? Thanks!

Default Re: Eastman MD-305 owners - anyone buy a Toneguard for it?

I just got one for my Northfield and still evaluating whether it makes that much of a difference. Going to a jam this week so we'll see.

I bought one for my Eastman 505. Definite increase in volume, depth of tone and resonance.

Also great on my Northfield. Worth every penny in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    I bought one for my Eastman 505. Definite increase in volume, depth of tone and resonance.

Also great on my Northfield. Worth every penny in my view.
    I think the 505 is pretty much the same size as the 305. Do you know what size, or what you specifically told them when you ordered? I'm concerned about getting the right size. Thanks!

Blog Entries

double post
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I find the tone-gard makes a big difference with every arch top mandolin I have heard it on or tried it on. That is because my hold on the instrument is not perfect, especially when I get tired, and with the tone-gard I can rest the back against me without muffling the tone. If the back of your mandolin is always totally clear from your body, the tone-gard will make no difference at all.

I am pretty sure he makes them for all the major instruments and if you told him your model he has the specs; likely he has already sold many to folks who have the same model.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have had a ToneGard for about 6 years now and just last weekend I took it off just for the heck of it because I wanted to see how my mandolin felt without it. I was amazed at how much volume and fullness was lost with the back of the mandolin against my body. I can't imagine playing any mandolin without one.
    If you are concerened about fit, it has some adjustment and will fit most any standard F or A body mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe View Post
    I think the 505 is pretty much the same size as the 305. Do you know what size, or what you specifically told them when you ordered? I'm concerned about getting the right size. Thanks!
    I bought a standard tone-guard for my Northfield and just slipped it on my Eastman 315 and it fit fine. Just make sure that where ever you order it from you can return it.

I see you are in the DC area so you probably know about Chuck Levins in Wheaton and Melodee Music in Sterling and Leesburg, VA both are very nice stores and should be helpful.

I emailed with Tony a few weeks ago about a custom TG and he is extremely busy right now and it would take awhile so I just bought a standard one.

JoeyJoeJoe - it was a standard sized one with the Sunray pattern, rather than Deco. There is some "wiggle room" to allow for minor adjustment. As far as I can tell, the Eastman 305 is the same size as a 505.

10. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Thanks, you guys!