Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is "Pick-Click" on extended fingerboards bad form?

Default Re: Is "Pick-Click" on extended fingerboards bad form?

I rarely fret anything higher than the 17th fret but I might get to the 19th or 20th if I'm showing off or just goofing off . It seems to me that the "look" of the Florida could be achieved with less frets if the "pan-handle" cut in earlier on the fretboard. Maybe if there were just 24 or 25 total frets in the Florida the sweet spot would be wide open for picking without click noise. There is really no need for 19 or 20 frets on the G and D strings anyway - in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GTison View Post
    Put a finger rest on, see what that does to your technique. I don't like to see scooped FBs, but it's not my mandolin.

A lot depends on your pick, grip, angle, depth, the shape/direction of your stroke.
    this is a great point which I have never thought much about in terms of click (which I really don't suffer)
    and which I have never understood when I read of others concerned with click.

all of my mandos have pickguards /finger rests, and I speculate that this affects and changes the depth of my string contact with a pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stevedenver View Post
    all of my mandos have pickguards /finger rests, and I speculate that this affects and changes the depth of my string contact with a pick.
    That has certainly been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadowview View Post
    Mr. Bill sure didn't have a problem with the extension.
    of course he jacked his action insanely high...

Quote Originally Posted by fentonjames View Post
    of course he jacked his action insanely high...
    And, as stevedenver noted earlier, Bill picked close to the bridge. So he wouldn't have been hitting the extension even if his action was low. I think he tended to move further up when playing chop chords, but pick click generally isn't an issue for that motion.

My preference is for it to sound good before looking good. I do find the 'pick-click' rather annoying, and am thankful for the shorter fretboard on my mandolin.
    Play what you feel
    Feel
    what you play

• Loar LM-590
    • Several guitars

I guess I'm the minority because I quite like pick click. I think it's cool if it's here and there, not with every note. Skaggs has a lot of clicking and I've heard Tony Rice do it on purpose. I think pick "chirp" is way worse.

I agree with Austin. I also like the click and find it's part of the music. I don't go out of my way to avoid it, or encourage it. Sometimes it just happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

I think (correct me you historians) the original intention was that folks would play south of the florida down closer to the bridge.
    The original intention was to actually use those frets on the fingerboard extensions when playing certain classical and other repertoire.
    So the makers must have thought that the "sweet spot" for most picking would be past the extension and nearer the bridge.

Of course, these instruments were designed before the invention of Bluegrass - and it sounds like for many of you guys the "sweet spot" to pick for a mellower tone is over the fingerboard extension.

So yes, it seems the original intentions of the designers have been superseded by practical use.

10. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I have a Suzuki bowlback, that has kind of a long extension. The pick-click bothers me a bit when picking the e-string, so I try to play the notes on the b-string instead. Well, I think I will have it removed one day, there are these orchestra model bowlbacks without an extension. For me, they have enough frets.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img56608111.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	138975

12. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    ...it seems the original intentions of the designers have been superseded by practical use.
    That would be the best explanation I've seen.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

14. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    I have a Suzuki bowlback, that has kind of a long extension. The pick-click bothers me a bit when picking the e-string, so I try to play the notes on the b-string instead. Well, I think I will have it removed one day, there are these orchestra model bowlbacks without an extension. For me, they have enough frets.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img56608111.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	138975
    I'd ask not to remove the bowlback's extra frets....you might want to play some of the music that uses those notes. The bowlbacks with shorter fingerboards will play most music, but not the extreme stuff like the last phrase of a Calace piece where you use those notes - the dotted line indicates an 8v higher - and you play up to a super-high E at the 24th fret before hitting the highest note in the work, A above that.

Anyway, there are uses for those frets!

Thank goodness Ellis and Northfield, to name just two, have seen the sense to make abbreviated extensions. I think the Eastman scooped extension is too long and obviously, useless. Same with Furch.

Don;t know why Gibson continue the Loar style look of that extension when it is just a nuisance. I'm going to do a short Florida on my Doyle Lawson. I love the mandolin but hate that extension.

watch Simon Mayer on you tube he plays up the fret board further than the Floridas without a click.