Thread: On the Way Back Following Shoulder Surgery

Default On the Way Back Following Shoulder Surgery

A little background. About 8 months ago my right shoulder began to hurt (bad) and my range of motion became pretty limited. So.........into the sports medicine doc I went to be diagnosed with some tendon issues and "frozen shoulder" which apparently limits surgery until it abates (there is no "cure" other than time). A month ago I went under the knife to repair and re-attach the bicep tendon, grind off a bone spur and general clean up of the "capsule". It was successful, but range of motion is still a major issue, so physical therapy is my main physical activity-no running, biking, swimming, golf etc.

And until this week no mandolin or guitar playing. Well, still no real guitar playing but I have been back at the mandolin after a 6 week layoff. Very rusty, but it is coming back fairly quickly. The hardest thing is getting the strap over my head. Picking is a bit painful but manageable. No real reason for posting this other than I never realized how stuff like this can affect one's playing and having read a lot of threads re ear, finger, nerve problems, etc. Just want to say "now I understand"

Happy picking to all
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Scott For This Useful Post:

Default Re: On the Way Back Following Shoulder Surgery

Mike, I had a similiar incident back in February.. I was having some shoulder pain then one day I was lifting a trash bag out of the can when I felt a pop and pain in my left bicep.. Low and behold, I ruptured my left bicep tendons... Well, I went under the knife also and had the tendons repaired and the rotator cuff cleaned up.. But,,, Arm in a sling, physical therapy and rest for the next two and a half months.... My poor mando felt so neglected.. I am finally back to practicing and playing with my family band...Couldn't believe how I took my shoulder for granted till I couldn't move it...lol

Hi Mike - I've never had surgery as you have,but several years back,i had to have surgery on my left hand to relieve a 'trigger finger' & Oh boy !,was it ever painful. It was 3 months before i got back to 'sort of' normal. It's one of those times when you have to take it very easy - or else !. If you try to overdo it,& the op.site takes a turn for the worse,it's a while new ball game - best wishes for a speedy recovery,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I had a pretty major right rotator cuff repair back in December and now, 6 months later I'm in great shape. Virtually no pain at all except a minor twinge now and then. I had a biceps repair and a re-attachment of the supraspinatus tendon which was nearly completely detached. They cleaned up the acromion and a couple of spurs too.
    I picked up the mandolin about a month after surgery. I still had quite a bit of pain by then, but I did some light playing positioned such that I didn't have to use my forearm (and hence the biceps), playing only from the wrist. It was better than nothing.
    You've been wearing a sling, right? I wouldn't think putting a mando strap on would be any worse than putting the sling. Anyway, if you play sitting down you can ignore the strap for now.
    If mandolin is uncomfortable to play, there are other instrument options...
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Brew...tml?sort=3&o=1
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.