Thread: Right Hand Bad-Habit Blues

Default Right Hand Bad-Habit Blues

Hey all,

Recently got some excellent instruction on how I've been holding my pick: my index finger was straight rather than curled, and I'd been working the pick parallel to the strings rather than at a slight angle...for years.

The advise was/is invaluable, and I'm greatly thankful: my tone's so much warmer now. I know that this will vastly improve my sound and overall playing, but MAN, if it doesn't feel like I've just regressed 2-3 years! The fluidity with which I played my favorite tunes and did multi-string tremolos a week ago seem like happy memories as I clunk through them now. Here's hoping the new habit takes hold soon!

If you're a new mandolin player, do pay keen attention to your pick hand. You'll be thankful later!
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Default Re: Right Hand Bad-Habit Blues

Ha, yeah, there's always a readjustment period when you start to refine things like this, and it will take a while to get your fluidity back. I went through the same thing when I decided to get my right wrist off the bridge. In the long run, these kinds of things pay off big-time, even though it is difficult in the short-term.

Good on ya for doing it, though! Hopefully this will be only the first of many such re-sets over the years as you experiment with new or different techniques that will improve tone, speed, etc. I'm sure I've got plenty ahead of me too.

3. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Yeah man, talking "thankful later", I changed my right hand approach back in 1985, which I felt to be a great improvement. I wasn't aware though, that Roland White, when he played guitar for Bill Monroe in the late '60s, changed his right hand in a similar fashion like you, Pick&Grin.

5. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by picking at a slight angle? In what direction is the angle? Any good pictures or videos of this?

I have a sum total playing time of 4 days, so I'm going to ask every stupid question under the sun!

7. The following members say thank you to Scott N. for this post:

Mike Marshall explains the angle here:

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

Terrific explanation here.

Scott N., welcome to the wonderful world of Mandolin!
    Do keep the questions coming. MandolinCafe is a great place to have landed: a very helpful community.

Thank you, Franc Homier Lieu for the video: I should have thought of that. Mike was actually the teacher who spotted my problem in a video exchange that I had with him through ArtistWorks. I've been subscribed for just over a week, and I can't say enough about it: especially the personalized feedback that you get from Mike.
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Blog Entries

That angle is important. Its fun to play with too, to make the mandolin kind of whisper at the more intimate parts of the music, or bang out a tune violently during a more exuberant part. Its another knob on the control panel to fiddle with - volume, speed, where on the string you pick, and angle. One can almost make the darn thing talk.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: