Thread: Anyone know

Unhappy

Hey does anyone know any good sites for downloading free bluegrass songs? If i could download them and play them on the Windows player and burn em to a disc. Thats what im looking for. All i find is a bunch of rock mess. Well please help i am home most of the day today getting stuff done. So i will be wating patiently for replys.
    Thanks

Try woodsongs old time radio. There are also some videos.
    Cleanliness is next to Dawgliness....Dawg,2008 Blueberry Band Workshop.

Woodsongs is great, but the best resource is bluegrassbox.com. More complete (and legal) live shows than you could ever listen to.

Martin

A peer-to-peer program that is halway decent is Limewire. I've gotten a BUNCH of stuff off there.

Thanks all. On Amazon's Cdnow I just found a bunch. I downloaded one that was when Sam was in New Grass Revival. They were doing the one about the Steam Powered Aero-Plane. Good stuff.

Arnhem, the Netherlands; Nanjing, China; Ithaca NY USA

How about supporting the artists and purchasing their music?

O i buy alot of music swampstomper. But thats why god made man think of this idea of downloading.

I think its pethetic of anyone who disagrees with burning or downloading stuff. Thats what it is for. Im not going to pay 15 dollars or so for something that i just want a song or two from.

Im not gonna waist money like that.

Yea-why waste money when you can essentially just steal some one's property. You could use the money you save for your education. Spelling 099 anyone? I feel better now!

Joe Parker

Quote Originally Posted by
    Spelling 099 anyone?
    Back in my youth I used to get wasted. In these days of super size menus I'm more likely to get waisted.

GVD
    GVD

You can purchase single songs for 99 cents at Apple Store (iTunes) or 79 cents at Wallmart. They don't have a complete catalogue but they do have lots of mando stuff including the full Acoustic Disc catalog (Grisman, Tone Poems, Jethro, Appolon...), Sony/Colombia (Monroe, early Stanleys), Warner Bros etc.

Hi,

My understanding is that, when it`s about copyrighted mandolin stuff, we have to buy it. I don`t feel so bad, when I`m downloading pieces by Purple or Madonna, although from a legal point of view it`s the same. But it`s important for us - mandolin lovers, to support the guys, that are creating mandolin related stuff, so they can be rewarded for what they are doing and to stimulate them to go on and bring more joy to us.

Good luck!

Not specific to bluegrass but freely legal traded stuff is available at www.futhurnet.org via a peer-to-peer trading application. I know there's some bluegrass and related newgrass types genres Old&InTheWay, Del, Sam Bush, RailRoad Earth, YMSB. All this stuff is live and legal to trade. Everything on this site is stuff artists have freely given away (but I also buy CDs from these artists).

I kinda think the $.99/song for downloads in still kinda steep. It would be nice if you could find single song downloads of older songs for more like $.25. If there were a service where I could find and download three or four obscure versions of some old song I was trying to learn to play for $1.00 total, I'd do it all the time.

another great source of downloadable music is www.archive.orgThe Archive

just go to the music section and you can search by band.. this is all free, as artists must have a published release.. you will need to learn a little bit about flac and shn, both of which are compression programs, kinda like pkzip, and is touted as a "lossless" compression. if you want more info, shoot me an email..i can help with this stuff

keith
    Craftiness must have clothes,
    but truth loves to go naked.

I agree 99 cents is a bit steep. Apple sell the whole album usually for $9.99 (compare to $13 from County Sales to $15 direct from Acoustic Disc etc.) But when it's that one song you want, it's a good solution. I purchased "Walls of Time" by Emmy Lou and the Nash Ramblers live specifically to study Sam Bush's mandolin part, well worth it. Also Nine Pound Hammer by Jim and Jesse to try my hand at cross-picking in B

Anyway all i got were some bluegrass tunes. And a John Hartford tune and a couple of off string band stuff. New Grass revival tune as well. Good stuff. It takes a long while to download the stuff though. Good outcome for free. Except the cost of the cd.

I agree with bluegrassbox.com When I was getting more familiar with bluegrass a few years ago, I downloaded a ton of stuff here, based on that, I've bought a fair number of CD's.
    There was a bit of a learning curve, but boy was it worth it. What an incredible archive of live bluegrass. Kudos to the folks that keep that site up.
    2001 Flatiron F5

Here are a couple of tunes Monroe plays, plus some other miscellaneous stuff:
    You Better Get Right Little Darlin'.
    Trombolin.
    Tanyards.
    Gathering Flowers for the Master's Bouquet
    Evening Prayer Blues
    The Dusty Miller
    And, just because I can, I have a short video of my Phoenix mandolin playing a little snip of Linda Lou.

At the moment I'm getting lots of usage out of the constant stream of Tim O'Brien concerts found here.

Bluegrassbox is a great source of shows, but I find once I download one I rarely listen to it more than once and the files clog up my hard drive. So the streaming thing is much nicer and really good for when I'm working long hours at my PC.

Oh yeah, and I'm in the process of buying all Tim's CDs although it may take a while. I'm in full support of downloading live tracks for free (as long as it's permitted) but you've got to give something back to the artist to show your support. Otherwise, it's just stealing IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by (PGAfan790 @ April 19 2005, 21:54)
    I think its pethetic of anyone who disagrees with burning or downloading stuff. Thats what it is for. Im not going to pay 15 dollars or so for something that i just want a song or two from.

Im not gonna waist money like that.
    So you're going to steal it instead. Nice.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Sorry about the last post. Pasted the wrong stuff. Just ignore it.

My computer skills are shown again.

Quote Originally Posted by (PGAfan790 @ April 21 2005, 18:08)
    Sorry about the last post. Pasted the wrong stuff. Just ignore it.
    It's easy to delete posts...just click the "delete" icon.

Here's another source for some classic stuff. You can do a trail membership to http://www.emusic.com and get 50 tunes free. They don't have a huge amount of bluegrass but they have four Bill Monroe compilations covering a ton of classics. They also have some Flatt&Scruggs with Stanley and a few other things. If you cancel withing two weeks, it doesn't cost anything (I know, I've done it twice so far ) That would get you about two compliation albums. If you keep your membership, it's $9.99/month for about 40/month or about $.25 a song. I think I'm going to keep my membership this time for two or three months and get the rest of the bluegrass compilations they have.