Thread: Custom Case, mandolin + concertina

Default Custom Case, mandolin + concertina

Hello

Finally I've managed to find myself really nice small sized Lachenal anglo concertina. I do not play a lot of concertina recently, but I love the instrument, so I decided to get myself a small one, so I can carry mandolin and concertina together in one case.

So step one checked, now I need to get a custom case somewhere. something like Gator case I use for a mandolin (http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16117-922/gl-mandolin), but with special space for concertina.

Here's my idea:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando1.png 
Views:	212 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	134499

I see that this should be possible, but I don't know if I can find somebody who can make me such a case.
    What do you think?

Default Re: Custom Case, mandolin + concertina

Good luck with that one! I'd also love to have such a combination case, but those instruments are so dissimilarly shaped that I've yet had no luck concocting a suitable method. I used to use a bag (intended for bongo drums) to carry two concertinas. Even though the tina is small, by the time you manage to devise a system to combine both you ll be getting into unwieldy terrain - where just slinging two bags over your shoulder may be a simpler solutio. But let us know what you come up with.

You might pose this on concertina.net where such matters are often discussed.
    Last edited by catmandu2; May-25-2015 at 10:28am.

What about something where you can cut your own shapes into the case foam, like: http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1740 (many sizes available - I have no idea how big your concertina is!)

I'm not sure if it'd give the same support as a really well-fitted instrument-specific case, but cases like this are used by photographers, etc to transport some very expensive and sensitive gear.

You can certainly find someone to make a custom case for this but there is lots to consider. (I have considered making a banjo/mandolin double case and backed away.) First, to be thick enough for the concertina, it is going to be much thicker than needed for the mandolin. And if you change mandolins (people do that) it may not fit in the impossible-to-sell-to-anyone-else case. You also need to figure out where the balance point will be to properly position the handle, since the concertina end will be much heavier.

I would ask myself what I want to accomplish. If its "carry with one handle", I would get a well padded soft case for the tina that could clip on to a mandolin case. A double hard case for these instruments would weigh a ton and be unwieldy I think.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

I suggest measuring an overall dimension you desire. Then go to a sportsman's warehouse and select something similar. Between the archery, & shooting folk there are many cases to choose from than one would think. Like a the Pelican case suggestion, most of these cases are foam filled so you may have to remove foam to suit your purpose. Or you could totally make it with AB foam, and stitch up a heavy cloth outer. Then you're at the mercy of whatever two long zippers can reach. Hard cases do get heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    I suggest measuring an overall dimension you desire. Then go to a sportsman's warehouse and select something similar. Between the archery, & shooting folk there are many cases to choose from than one would think. Like a the Pelican case suggestion, most of these cases are foam filled so you may have to remove foam to suit your purpose. Or you could totally make it with AB foam, and stitch up a heavy cloth outer. Then you're at the mercy of whatever two long zippers can reach. Hard cases do get heavy.
    An interesting idea there - make an outer mold, seal everything in plastic and surround it with A-B foam. Cover it with cloth and you've got a custom-made Travelite style case.

...or with a rigid shell of the right size: http://www.instructables.com/id/Cust...Case/?ALLSTEPS

Good possibility there - a colossal fly rod/reel pack - if you can squeeze the mandolin through . For years I haunted the archery section looking for (what would be the perfect) case for a smaller hammered dulcimer. There's quite an array - deluxe cordura, etc, and even hard cases ..

I was thinking of an oud case earlier, which would work, although certainly not ideal. Now that I think, if you can get a bag large enough that a small c'tina would fit up in the neck area, a large resonator banjo bag perhaps..?

And now that I think again, I think many percussion bags would be okay too. Here's a dola in a bells bag - just have to pad it up of course -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	banjo 003.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	134536

Quote Originally Posted by keithb View Post
    An interesting idea there - make an outer mold, seal everything in plastic and surround it with A-B foam. Cover it with cloth and you've got a custom-made Travelite style case.
    I hadn't worked out parting the two halves, but i think you could take two sheets of cardboard and cut them out identically. Place your male molds (over-wrapped instruments) on a table. Then block up the two cardboard cut-outs on stands. Then foam the top. With the location of the part point established, after the top has cured, flip it over and foam the bottom. BTW those electric filet knives work great for whittling AB foam. I always wanted a case for my Rogue. I might try this sooner than later.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    I hadn't worked out parting the two halves, but i think you could take two sheets of cardboard and cut them out identically. Place your male molds (over-wrapped instruments) on a table. Then block up the two cardboard cut-outs on stands. Then foam the top. With the location of the part point established, after the top has cured, flip it over and foam the bottom. BTW those electric filet knives work great for whittling AB foam. I always wanted a case for my Rogue. I might try this sooner than later.
    I think the cardboard idea is reasonable. I'd love to know how it goes!

Trying to make both of those instruments work together in one case seems like a lot of work for not much gain. For one thing, to get enough depth to accommodate the concertina, you'd be adding a lot of material (volume and weight) to what would otherwise be a very slim, contoured mandolin case.

Why not get a simple one-compartment rucksack or small duffle (or large gym bag). and put the two instruments in there in their own individual, light, hard cases. Sling over shoulder and proceed. Works for other folks I know who play both instruments.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

11. The following members say thank you to Paul Kotapish for this post:

A "bag" is the best solution I've yet to come up with. I do a grocery-style canvas bag with 2-3 banjos and 2-3 accordians, sometimes a fiddle - all individually cased. Of course this is just for around town. I'm like a little old granny with my big bag of yarn - cept it's gitjos and squeezeboxes..

you might check with Bob Tedrow on this idea-i think he builds concertinas.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/homewood-mus...-co-birmingham

Jason Burns(Banjo maker extraordinare) has a shop beside Bob and can build anything.

hope it helps
    d

Thanks for all suggestions, folks. I have to agree that the easiest solution at the moment will be to buy some well padded soft case for the tina that could clip on to a mandolin case. Now I just need to find such a case

They are wildly different shaped things ..

I like Mandolin cases that have shoulder straps, They tend to be made in Fiberglass,
    and then offer D Rings to clip a strap onto,

But Wooden cases rarely have more than the handle to carry them ..
    then cover-bags would add the straps ..

having the 2 strap supported case/bags over your shoulder lets you have your hands
    free to open doors, carry other gear tn your hands ,
    Not have to set cases down and risk grab and run theft at festivals
    and crowded coffee shops, etc..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Pekar View Post
    ...Now I just need to find such a case
    Button Box in Sunderland MA has a modest selection. I got one of these from Elderly Instruments, but was mucho dissatisfied with the padding; ended up gluing additional foam inside it, now use it sparingly.

Elderly used to sell a well-made Cordura nylon case, but it was 'way too big for what you want. I have one, and it holds my Wheatstone baritone, which is large, and I can stack a Wheatstone treble on top of the 'bari, with a towel in between them for padding, and still zip the case closed. So it's much larger than your small Anglo needs -- and I don't see it in the Elderly catalog any more.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Button Box in Sunderland MA has a modest selection. I got one of these from Elderly Instruments, but was mucho dissatisfied ...
    The inexpensive small bags are as light-duty as their price would reflect. However, the heavier-duty bags are pretty stout -

I've used all-manner of "lunch-box" type bags, and coolers...if you want something quite sturdy, you could add padding to a small lunch-type container - many are lined with rigid plastic forms, which would offer significant protection. I like to use both types together: the small bag for discrete padding - placed into a larger box/container; I use this to combine concertinas with button boxes in the same bag, for example ...

but you don't need the small bag - you just need enough padding to prevent rolling around inside the box - a towel would be adequate, for example