Thread: Newbie: Choppy Sounding Chords

Default Newbie: Choppy Sounding Chords

Hello

I am a newbie to the mandolin and instrument playing in general. This is only my second day playing and I'm trying to learn the basic chords. I struggle to get a nice crisp ringing sound when I try to play chords... it sound like I'm chopping.

Do i need more finger strength or am I not placing my fingers close enough to the fret?? The guitar (its an Ibanez)?

Or something else maybe..?

I'm finding the mandolin is an invitation into humility and patience!

feel free to post videos

Default Re: Newbie: Choppy Sounding Chords

Quote Originally Posted by maxwelll View Post
    Or something else maybe..?
    Hi-

I guess I am going to suggest you get a copy of "Mandolin for Dummies", and start going through it systematically. Also, it never hurts to start watching Pete Martin's video series on YouTube.

The mandolin is also an invitation to endless amounts of fun!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Maxwelll,
    Welcome to the Forum. I hope you'll have lots of fun once you get going on the mandolin.
    For clarification, jshane's recommendation above wasn't an insult. 'Mandolin for Dummies' really IS a useful book (in case you didn't know) written by a great mandolinist who often posts on this forum. So no one is calling you a dummy for wanting information!!

After 2 days of playing, I wouldn't feel too bad. Most of us might have said the same things that you said even after weeks or more of trying to get started playing the mando.

Lots of information here on the Forum as well as on many other websites. The usual advice is to find a teacher for a least a lesson or two if possible. This can speed up the learning process and avoid getting bad habits from the start.

Keep at it; you'll probably improve rapidly if you practice thoughtfully for a while. Good luck.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

OK ..... shorter double course strings bring up some technique differences from guitar yes ..... a thicker pick is required to drive the higher tension strings and the arched top..... just like on a twelve string guitar the double courses take some extra pressure to get on the fret to produce a clear tone but instrument setup is even more important. A high action on a mandolin makes it just about impossible to get good tone out of one. So check your action . Modern mandolins have adjustable bridges , usually, so you can do that yourself. The advice about " Mandolin for Dummies" is good. Lots of good information there. A few lessons from a qualified teacher will help greatly.... Luck and patience and welcome to instruments tuned in fifths....... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

It takes time. Some more, some less.

This guy has some good material - check out his web site: Mandolessons.com

Banjo Ben is a favorite that I have subscribed to for a couple of one month trials: Banjo Ben mandolin lessons

I would recommend in this order of personal preference:
    Lessons in person (then) Lessons on video (then) Lessons from a book
    Banging it out on your own is very doable if you have the extra time it will take to get there

Enjoy! Getting started is the most fun you can have.

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post

For clarification, jshane's recommendation above wasn't an insult.
    OH FOR SURE!! I never even thought to consider that my suggestion would be taken that way! SO SORRY if it WAS!

"Mandolin for Dummies is an awesome resource... I should be more clear in my postings.

I would suggest
    be patient with your progress

like an barre F on guitar, it will take a bit of time, and strength, then later, technique will overtake brute force....

understand that mando is not guitar, and the sustain or ring will be noticeably less
    understand, critically, that like other muscles for running, sit ups, singing, skiing, etc, you must allow time for hand muscles to develop.

and, despite enthusiasm and being in the moment, I urge you to be disciplined and mindful and to take a short break no less than every half an hour, 15 may be better-stretch the hand and let it relax for a few minutes.

your hand will not develop strength overnight, nor in a couple of weeks. Use your pinky in exercises, but don't overdo things. let it build up slowly. I have very strong hands from guitar, and mando is entirely different and takes time, even with strong hands.
    -if you push it, you do risk problems, take it from me, (and I have played guitar for decades-too much hand too quickly can result in long lasting issues-and you wont be aware of them until you feel a pain, and then it may be late )

play a little each day, every day
    I too think the recommended book will help you use your time practicing wisely and productively

hey max try some "two finger" chords. those were very helpful for me when I started picking the mandolin. lots of chord charts on the web for two and three finger chords. and you have come to the right place here at the café for all kinds of information on mandolins. good luck.