Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you record videos? I'm needing help with VLC

Blog Entries

Default How do you record videos? I'm needing help with VLC

Being cheap and devoted to software from non-commercial programmers, I tried VLC media player as a video recorder. It is a bit odd in how it saves files, and I could use some tips about keeping the new settings for example.

Youtube is not an option for recording because I don't like the watermarks and latency problems.

This is for personal use and some uploads to Mandolin Cafe.

So I'm very interested in what other players use for video recording. How do you do it?

Thanks !

BTW I love my Blue Snowball and my Win 7 Lenovo x230 laptop...

Default Re: How do you record videos? I'm needing help with VLC

What camera are you using?

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Movie Maker video with the web cam and the audio feed from a condenser mic through a USB interface.
    We few, we happy few.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    So I'm very interested in what other players use for video recording. How do you do it?

My phone, a Samsung S4, does just fine by me.

Being cheap and devoted to software from non-commercial programmers, I tried VLC media player as a video recorder. It is a bit odd in how it saves files, and I could use some tips about keeping the new settings for example.

Youtube is not an option for recording because I don't like the watermarks and latency problems.

This is for personal use and some uploads to Mandolin Cafe.

Thanks !

BTW I love my Blue Snowball and my Win 7 Lenovo x230 laptop...
    Windows 7 comes bundled with at least two apps that will record videos: Camera and Movie Moments.

Blog Entries

Not all Windows 7 versions are the same, I have learned. But I'll look for some installed programs. My particular situation involves a Ricoh camera driver and Intel software. Movie Maker would not work on my laptop. And after deleting and reinstalling various Lenovo and Microsoft programs you could say my laptop is 'customized'.

I am interested in how others make videos. Especially if you use Win7. But many good ideas come from other platforms and devices. So? How do you make a video?

Thanks!

I have Windows 7 on my desktop and XP on my ancient laptop, but have recorded using both. I use my Logitech webcam and its interface for the video, with my Zoom H2 acting as USB mic for the audio. I put the result into my Pinnacle Studio program to cut out awkward beginnings and endings of me starting and stopping the video, and also to add titles and/or credits, then I create the final video version from there.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I record video with whatever camera I have handy - my Android tablet, a Samsung camcorder, a Sony Cybershot - and edit it with Movie Maker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keithb View Post
    Windows 7 comes bundled with at least two apps that will record videos: Camera and Movie Moments.
    It seems that Microsoft now only offers Camera and Movie Moments in Win 8.1 A good reason to upgrade I guess.

And Pinnacle Studio is a good idea. Not sure it captures video from the web cam. And I have Movie Maker on my desktop for editing.

So keep the suggestions going folks. What do you use to record your videos?

Web cams are hopeless. I capture video with a little Canon camera on a tripod, and record the sound on the computer through an external mic and sound interface connected by high speed usb. Then I put it back together in Adobe Premiere. But then again, I am a massive geek.

I use a Motorola/android phone. Seems quite adequate for quick & dirty.
    I also use a GE DV1 video camera. Edit with MS Moviemaker. Exporting .wmv files to YT.
    But keep in mind, I only expect or want a "sketch."
    I am not intending to make anything close to commercially viable.
    That being said, it's interesting how either conveying talent or sharing the power of a good song, it's amazing how crude one can get and still it gets the point across. IOW the cream still rises to the top. Just as poo is still poo, no matter how well produced.

12. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

DougC 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Web cams are hopeless. I capture video with a little Canon camera on a tripod, and record the sound on the computer through an external mic and sound interface connected by high speed usb. Then I put it back together in Adobe Premiere. But then again, I am a massive geek.
    It looks like I may be headed towards geek-dom too.

I want to connect the devices to the computer and record audio and video all at once.

And it looks like I may have to have a dedicated location or makeshift studio to do this. Do you have a 'spot' where it is all set up? Or do you plug things in when you need to?

Thanks.

And all of this just to take videos of 'poo' LOL

It looks like I may be headed towards geek-dom too.

I want to connect the devices to the computer and record audio and video all at once.

And it looks like I may have to have a dedicated location or makeshift studio to do this. Do you have a 'spot' where it is all set up? Or do you plug things in when you need to?

Thanks.

And all of this just to take videos of 'poo' LOL
    Well, I don't think I've seen any videos people have made of their hard-won achievements on mandolin that I would call poo, I applaud everyone who even tries it.

I just do it at my office desk, because that is where my laptop always is, and it doesn't move around much as I always have it plugged in to two or three external hard drives. But there's really no reason I couldn't just plug it in when I want to. I highly recommend using an external device to capture the video. But you can also use an external device (such as a Zoom or Tascam digital recorder) to capture the audio, and in that way you can set up and record anywhere at the drop of a hat. You can then just bring the devices back to your computer and put everything together there.

If you are doing multitracking, it saves a lot of trouble if you can record direct to disk, though, and that's where some kind of high speed USB 2.0 audio input is very helpful. The key thing is you need to be able to hear the track you're playing along to while you pick. I use an Alesis Multimix 8 USB2.0, it seems like overkill since it allows up to 6 simultaneous input tracks, and if you are recording alone you only need one, but it's really good for listening to the recorded track while playing the overdubs. Make sure it says USB 2.0. Just USB is not good enough. I'm not sure if they still make the model I have.

I did a blog post about this a while back that may have some extra information.

15. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

DougC 

Hey Doug,

I got some great advice on putting together basic videos about a year or so ago from some cafe members. I put the info into a short video, might be of some use to you.

17. The following members say thank you to noah finn for this post:

DougC 

Blog Entries

Woah, Awsome Noah and David! And David, what a great sound, that set up is really nice. Nice playing too.

As for the audio / video mixing, I'm not sure I want to mess with it yet. So far I have a nice Blue Snowball USB mic and two USB 2 ports on the laptop. With some luck I may get what I want from the webcam.

I was going to include the videos that inspired me to start this darned headache / adventure. And now I'll have to include Dave's video with them. FarmerJones is right. There is something special that is captured by the camera that, I think, really shows the sincerity of the player.

I'll be back with my 'inspirational' videos. They are more sophisticated but I'd like to talk about them here.

19. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Blog Entries

Ok, as promised. And for some relief from techno babble I'm posting a video that inspired me to make my own video. This guy is Trond Bengtson from the Netherlands playing Lute. He seems to play late at night, probably when it is quiet and he has the tune in top form. I love the light on the instrument and the big sound of the instrument. He captures something really something special. You can clearly see his hands and he has some nice art work in the title screens.

https://youtu.be/zlEj2IqkzQY?t=5s
    Last edited by DougC; Jun-01-2015 at 10:38pm.

Doug, I can not get there from your link.
    Bill Snyder

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    Doug, I can not get there from your link.

I gave it another link. I can't get an image on the cafe however. Let me know if this one works.

Last edited by DougC; Jun-01-2015 at 10:41pm. Reason: three times ...

Yes, it looks good to me:

24. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

DougC 

It sounds to me as if this player, Trond Bengtson is putting some care, and perhaps audio post-production into these videos. Either that or he has an unusually acoustically pleasing kitchen! Or perhaps he sets up in some space with a nice bit of natural reverb.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Mr. Bengston replies to a question that I put to him,

"I use a Zoom R8 and an AKG C214 mic and I have also added a bit of reverb."

He didn't mention what video camera he was using, but there's the expected answer. A pro quality microphone (you don't need that particular one, many many mics will do the job), into a system with a good 'prosumer' preamp, some post-production, then synced with video.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

Blog Entries

That is really cool that you contacted Trond, Brad.

I have seen a number of his videos and once I saw a little preamp and mixer on his table.
    I'm wondering about his camera set up. Did he say anything about lighting? It is pretty dark behind him.
    I think his kitchen is open to a sort of library. In any case his Lute is really nice and it makes a huge sound.

Thanks

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Mac mini, Yosemite.
    Logitech USB cam.
    Behringer condenser mic & preamp via computer's line input.
    Debut recording software.

Downside of the mono audio: some mobile devices with stereo spread cancel it out when playing the video.

Results are like this.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Hey Bertram! You have a serious phase problem somewhere in your set up! It makes your nicely produced videos uncomfortable to listen to through a good stereo set up, and impossible in situations where the audio channels are summed to mono, for example, in many smart phones.

Somewhere one channel is being flipped 180º in your case. You could either simply erase one of the two stereo tracks, or figure out what is reversed. Or perhaps you are including audio from the USB camera as well as the microphone on opposite channels? But even that would not create such complete cancellation as you are experiencing. More likely caused by the wires between your preamp and the line input to your computer. Some new adaptor is called for.

If you can't hunt down the problem, perhaps start a new Thread and folks here will get you on the straight and narrow track!!
    Last edited by BradKlein; Jun-03-2015 at 9:53am.
    BradKlein
    Twangbox® Videos

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Thanks, I'll look into it Brad.

P.S. direct connection of headphones to preamp yields a normal signal, also recording to GarageBand and playing with mono option on is normal. Recording to Debut and playing with mono option cancels everything out - I guess that product has a video compression issue with mono signals. Trying to find out more, in the meantime I'll record audio with GarageBand and Video with Debut and put them together in iMovie
    Last edited by Bertram Henze; Jun-03-2015 at 10:11am.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world