Thread: Recommendations for hard case?

Default Recommendations for hard case?

Just acquired a 1918 A4, would like recommendations for a good hard case. Won't be traveling on airlines with it but don't want something made of chipboard or cardboard either. Thank you.

Default Re: Recommendations for hard case?

The TKL Prestige archtop case is really nice for teens Gibsons, and reasonably priced.
    Blow on, man.

Yes, what spufman said. They are much better protection I think than the original cases.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

TKL Makes a good solid plywood case. IMO it is the best inexpensive case available. It will be a good investment in the health of your A4...... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Teens and twenties As aren't the same size as modern As so won't fit in many modern cases. Try before you buy - I use an Eastman fibreglass case. Not cheap, good case but no internal storage.

My '23 A2 lives in a Hiscox case. IMHO it provides the best protection per $ and lb. Only downside is it's rather bulky shape. NFI

--Steve

"When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Teens and twenties As aren't the same size as modern As so won't fit in many modern cases. Try before you buy ...
    This bears repeating. The short necks of the older mandolins may not fit newer cases made for long necks. The neck cradle area may interfere with the headstock. So make sure that whatever case you buy (if you're ordering online without a test-fit) can accommodate a short neck.

I've been on a similar hunt for my 1918 F4. The original case just doesn't offer anything in the way of internal padding, and I don't like even carrying it around in that case, as it tends to flop around in there. I can't just temporarily put it in my modern F5 case, as the neck is too short to clear the neck cradle in the case. So it's going to take a special case.

I had been under the impression that the new-fangled fiberglass and carbon-fiber cases were superior for strength, and was planning on buying something like a Pegasus or Hoffee case for my F4. But in my recent research for a good case for my fiddle, I came across this guide to cases which may have changed my mind (and indeed I went with a wood case for my fiddle). Granted, it's specific to violin cases, but it has some good points to consider on the strength and durability of different materials. In the fiddle world, plywood cases are generally considered better protection than anything else, and based on the points made, I would think it applies to mandolin cases as well. This comes with a tradeoff for weight, of course. You'll need to consider which pros and cons are more important. Lots to consider!

9. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

It's not only the necks, the bodies are slightly bigger and won't fit in if they're designed to be a close fit for a modern A.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

My paddle head and snakehead fit in TKL.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    This bears repeating. The short necks of the older mandolins may not fit newer cases made for long necks. The neck cradle area may interfere with the headstock. So make sure that whatever case you buy (if you're ordering online without a test-fit) can accommodate a short neck.

I've been on a similar hunt for my 1918 F4. The original case just doesn't offer anything in the way of internal padding, and I don't like even carrying it around in that case, as it tends to flop around in there. I can't just temporarily put it in my modern F5 case, as the neck is too short to clear the neck cradle in the case. So it's going to take a special case.

I had been under the impression that the new-fangled fiberglass and carbon-fiber cases were superior for strength, and was planning on buying something like a Pegasus or Hoffee case for my F4. But in my recent research for a good case for my fiddle, I came across this guide to cases which may have changed my mind (and indeed I went with a wood case for my fiddle). Granted, it's specific to violin cases, but it has some good points to consider on the strength and durability of different materials. In the fiddle world, plywood cases are generally considered better protection than anything else, and based on the points made, I would think it applies to mandolin cases as well. This comes with a tradeoff for weight, of course. You'll need to consider which pros and cons are more important. Lots to consider!
    For what it is worth, for an older Gibson F4 (and probably the A's, too), I've found that Presto cases fit well. Cost-wise, they are less than a Calton and I think give better protection than a TKL or Eastman fiberglass ...

new Eastman Fiberglass cases fit F4 and F5 and A 4, 5 ..

I like the D rings for a Back Pack carry , rather than only a case Handle .

The Cal and Peg use more Layers Of FG so are heavier .

+ The FG takes bumperstickers nicely, and they will come off too ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'll second the Hiscox.

Bobelock makes a great case, less bulky than Hiscox if you get the Arrow.

Agreed. The Bobelock Arrow is a great mid-priced fiberglass option (I store my F-5 in one). However, my 1920 A-2 won't fit without distorting the dimensions ever-so-slightly. I suspect your experience with an A-4 would be similar. For my A-2, I like the TKL-made "LTD A-Model Mandolin Case" that Elderly sells. Perfect fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCLTD-A_case_sm_.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	135162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCLTD-A_case-open_sm_.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	135163
    Brian Muller

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post

The one thing to consider when comparing the plywood cases for fiddle and mandolin and these recommendations, are the fiddle cases are arched. The plywood/laminate mandolin cases are typically mostly flat. The fiberglass/ABS cases for violin are not made to a Calton or Hoffee standard. They are generally very lightly built and designed with weight in mind. If Calton made a fiddle case, I wouldn't hesitate to put it at the top of my list.

I have my 1920 A-2 in an Access rectangular case: https://themandolinstore.com/product...ase-universal/ Now on sale for only $119 to boot.
    A bit on the heavy side, but it fits vintage A's perfectly and protects very very well.
    Mine must be an older one since it has a good sized accessory compartment.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

The excellent TKL arched case is currently less than $83 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EE...+arch+mandolin
    Blow on, man.