Thread: Gibson A-9 information wanted

Default Gibson A-9 information wanted

I'm considering a Gibson A-9 as an upgrade from my Loar LM-600.

They don't seem to come up in discussion too much, so most of the information I've been able to find on the Cafe has been a few years old.

Any idea what price range I should be looking at in the current market? Any specific production year ranges to look for, or avoid?

Default Re: Gibson A-9 information wanted

I can only speak for mine which is a 2002 and it is an amazing instrument. I play a diversity of styles from blues to celtic to bluegrass and it always seems to have the tone I want. It sounds sweet played softly and really punches out the volume when banged hard. Mine is the sheraton brown color, referred to by some as looking like poop, but I like to think of it as the color of a good dark beer. It sounds like a Gibson which if you like that specific sound (Strong midrange, dark and mellow) you will love the A9. I have played a number of very nice mandolins and I always come back to my old Gibby.

I got mine new but its my understanding that they go for around $1000 or so. A real steal though IMO.
    Back as a small fish in a big, city shaped pond.

http://www.myspace.com/stevequattrocchi

Well, they haven't been in production for a few years, though they were basically replaced with the A-style jam master.
    I think there was and has continued to be a fair amount of discussion, I think almost all of it highly favorable. Nothing against Loar instruments, but based on my first hand experience - several A9s, and lots of Loar models - the A9, if you can find one, would be a huge upgrade. Each of the A9s I've heard has had great sound and volume. I would have one, except that I just find them hard to play, at least the originals, because the neck is so skinny.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

+1 to the previous comments: $1k is ballpark for a price. You might also consider a Nashville era Flatiron Performer A which is basically a Gibson A5G. Also the Bozeman era Flatiron A models would definitely be an upgrade from the Loar, and the prices should be roughly equivalent to the A9...Happy Hunting!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Thanks guys!

I had been talking to the seller about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111680510209 but balked at $1500, and it sold before I could negotiate a lower price.

Back to the hunt!

With the recent talk about Gibson's coming price increase for new instruments, i'm not surprised that

used mando prices are heading North.

I would love to have one myself. As you may already be aware, however, at least some of them lack dot markers on the fretboard. I don't know whose Great Idea that was, and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, but, just so you know.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

You get used to the lack of dots pretty quickly and as a result you look at the fretboard less.

I think it was an aesthetic choice more than anything. The whole minimalist vibe and all.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
    I would love to have one myself. As you may already be aware, however, at least some of them lack dot markers on the fretboard. I don't know whose Great Idea that was, and it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me, but, just so you know.
    I played a guitar with no fretboard dots for a long time - I found it pretty easy to get used to looking at the side dots if I needed them, and it was good incentive to really get comfortable without looking.

You guys are making me think I should have just dropped the $1500!

My F9 has no fingerboard dots, I didn't notice this when I bought it, it doesn't make any difference to my playing,a great sounding instrument BTW

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Keep looking, the A9 is a great value. I had one, along with an F9 at the same time, and there was absolutely no difference in tone or volume. The only thing I didn't like about the 9s were the nuts that came on them. If memory serves, I had both replaced, and one was a real booger to get out, almost had to chip it out piece by piece, like it had been superglued in. I lightly sanded the sharp edges on the top binding, because it was uncomfortable to play for long periods, and had an excellent mandolin, with sound and volume as good as the upper level Gibsons I had owned or played. I should have kept mine, but I probably would have spent more money getting it radiused, as that's my preference. They are a great mandolin, which is why they don't come up for sale as often as many others. Frank.
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

Thanks - seems that the unanimous opinion is that they're good value mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb View Post

You guys are making me think I should have just dropped the $1500!
    Yes, I think that $1500 is a fair price for a great Mando. If you see one again I would jump on it, if I were you.

Good Luck!
    James

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemyF9 View Post
    Yes, I think that $1500 is a fair price for a great Mando. If you see one again I would jump on it, if I were you.

Good Luck!
    Thanks! I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for eventually.

I've seen some f9smarouns 2000'recently. If I were dropping 1500 I'd spend the extra 500 for the scroll.

I played a A9 longer than any mando Ive owned. It in my opinion was suited for me and was played hard. I still think it is the ,one of the very best Ive played . I sold it to a buddy for 1200,it was exceptional and Dave Harvey set it right again. My friend can only sell it back to me ,unless of course I kick the bucket! IF you can get one 1500 hundred would not scare me in the least unless I couldnt afford it. It will sell easily if you change your mind. I played mine 10 years and thats a record
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

Did happen to see this while window shopping... Nfi

http://www.lowevintage.com/products.php?id=149

That is exactly the same as the one I recently bought, doesn't look much, it must be a contender in the worst scroll category, but it sounds absolutely great.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Love my F9, paid around $2000 for it new a few years back but that is what the used ones are bringing now so I think I did OK. Never missed any dots on the fingerboard, the ones on the side work fine. I think the A9 is probably the same.

Had a 2003 A9 for a while, was meant to be an upgrade from my 1949 A40. The sound was fine, but I could never adjust to the neck and the nut. My old A40 played way easier, and that's the one I still use.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kinn View Post
    Had a 2003 A9 for a while, was meant to be an upgrade from my 1949 A40. The sound was fine, but I could never adjust to the neck and the nut. My old A40 played way easier, and that's the one I still use.
    The nut width does concern me a bit. I haven't been able to find a mandolin to try locally with a 1-1/16" nut.

A9s are real gems if you can find them. Does anyone know which years they made them and how many they made?