Thread: Mixing Board

Default Mixing Board

Ok, so now have some great speakers (QSC K10). Now I need a mixer. I borrowed a friends Mackie ProFX12. Seems like a good board, but I've read some questionable reviews. I'm in a five piece BG group (bass, mandolin, guitar, dobro, banjo). Sometimes we do one mic for vocals, sometimes three mics for vocals. What do you folks use for a mixer (Mackie, Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, etc)? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Mixing Board

I've owned Soundcraft, Allen & Heath, and Mackie mixers in the past. Assuming you want a good analog board instead of jumping straight into a digital mixer (which I'd recommend, for someone just starting out), then stick with either Soundcraft or Allen & Heath. I think they're making the best quality mixers right now in the compact/low channel count analog world. Mackie and Behringer are duking it out in the low end, and I recommend avoiding those brands if you can afford Soundcraft or Allen & Heath. Both those brands offer a semi-parametric mid range EQ, which is very important for acoustic music.

The specific model to recommend would depend on more info:

1) How many actual mic inputs do you need? Are all instruments on mics (which would need at least 8 mic preamp channels to handle those three vocal channels), or are some instruments using pickups?

2) What, if anything, are you planning for monitors? That will determine how many AUX busses you need. You may not have monitors yet, but you'll probably want them eventually. Can the band live with one monitor mix for everyone, and maybe one more for the lead vocal? Or do you need more separate monitor mixes?

Blog Entries

+1.

On mic channels, you would pretty much max out a 8-channel mixer, and it is always good to have a few spare. You never know... guest performers, or a problem with one channel. If going analog, take a look at the Soundcraft MFXi12. This is a really, seriously, good desk. Very nice mic pres, excellent EQ, illuminated channel mute buttons (you only understand how very useful these are when they are not there), reasonable number of AUX's, excellent reverbs, very solid, reliable build quality. Top small/medium sized mixer. Not the cheapest per channel by any means, but very nice to use, and always delivers.

However.. these days... yes, certainly look at digital. It is the way things are going, and there is some good stuff out there. The digital equivalent of the above is the brand new Soundcraft Ui16. So new it is only just hitting the stores. I have been playing with it's smaller sibling, the Ui12 for a week, and it is most impressive. The fact you can have full control from iPad, Android Tab, PC, Mac or even Linux and can run wireless and hardwire Ethernet too is fantastic. No Apps required... frankly, the price is plain silly cheap for what you get. It is like having an analog desk plus a whole rack of FX and other stuff, including active feedback suppression. Full parametric and graphic EQ... with live real-time analysis... wow... easy to use (some digital desks are anything but), and sounds really good.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

By the way, not wanting to jump the gun until we hear what the OP needs for mic channels... but I notice on the Sweetwater site that there is a new Soundcraft "Signature 12" analog mixer with 8 mic preamps, two High-Z input channels and multitrack USB recording for $400 USD. This looks like a replacement for the MFXi/EFX series.

In the analog world, that could be the next bang-for-buck... especially if the multitrack recording output is solid. Doesn't do it internally, but all you'd need is a laptop computer. Not out yet, but coming soon, apparently.

I still like Allen & Heath Zed analog compact mixers too, and it's still the sweet spot for the tiny Zed10 if you only need 4 mic channels. But A&H has been limited to 6 mic preamps in their next frame size, and the footprint gets significantly larger with 8 or more mic pre's. Soundcraft has been the go-to mixer for a while if you need a compact analog 8-mic preamp mixer, and this new Signature 12 looks like it might be a winner.

Those Speakers powered?

mine are not.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

The K10's are an excellent powered speaker.

Full specs.

They are such a good speaker, that you would not want to 'cut corners' and go with a low-end mixer. You'd want something that performs really well.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

32# a piece, to hoist onto those speaker stands .. oof !

Fwiw .. I recently got one of Carvin's current, 3 channel Powered Mixers ..

power supply weight is comparatively tiny, and that is usually what makes Amplifiers Heavy,
    the Transformers ... are not part of this design ..

so Next maybe a Powered speaker can weigh just a small amount more than a Passive one,..

All those preferring heavy wood cabinets This does Not apply..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    32# a piece, to hoist onto those speaker stands .. oof !
    Yes... but that is for the speaker, a bi-amped 500 +500W (RMS) power amplifier + speaker management system, including active X-overs (integrated)...

I can remember when a power amplifier of that capability alone would have weighed far more than that.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

just saying New transformerless powersupplies .. are a good thing ..
    that alone will shave off many pounds..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm beginning to think Mackie may not be the way to go. Given five instruments and anywhere between one to three vocal mics, I think eight mic inputs is a requirement. The Soundcraft boards are looking good. Do you have to be a tech wiz to use the digital UI12? I'm definitely interested in the feedback killing aspect. Does it really work?

Blog Entries

The soundcrafts are very much easier to use than many digital desks. It is a very logical interface, very much like a 'regular' analog mixer, but all operated via your iPad/Andoid touch screen. As with all sound mixers, analog or digital, you do need to spend some time in rehearsal getting used to what they can do, and also, the more experience you acquire in "live" situations, the more confident (and competent) you will become. Yes, the AFS-2 is very effective. Again, though you need to learn how best to deploy it. If you have bad mic technique, or monitors in the wrong place, or stage volumes crazy high, then it can't fix everything... what it can do is make a big difference in marginal situations, and it will "grab" the feedback and clamp down on it almost instantly, with almost no perceptible impact on the main sound quality. If you are doing your own mixing, while performing, such systems are incredibly useful. I've been using 'feedback killers' for years, but until recently, that meant an extra rack of gear that cost as much (or more) than what these entire mixers cost.... with the same or even better capabilities included.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I use an 8 channel board for solo LOL. it is nice to have everything plugged in and ready so you just grab an instrument and play without turning down the master to change a plug... that said I plug in canned music for when I take a break as well. extra channels are always good to have as said above. you never know... if you have to mic up drums, a piano etc etc someday, you will be glad you spent the little extra... even if recording and you want some room mics
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1