Thread: Gig bags.

Default Gig bags.

Howdy, my wife recently bought a really thick, durable gig bag for her acoustic guitar. Now I am jealous and want something similar for my mandolin. What is the thickest, Toughest gig bag that you know of out there for less than $100?

Default Re: Gig bags.

Access makes a good gig bag......

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AMB1.htm

However the stage 3 is a much better case for the money.......

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/AMHT33.htm

I own one of each.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Not for under 100$, but I really recommend the Reunion Blues Continental gigbag.
    Very sturdy but lightweight, and it has very comfotable backpack straps.
    I'm very happy with it and your wive will be JEALOUS!

thanks for the recommendations. RB bag looks lice, but a little pricy at the moment (maybe I can be convinced) .. hah. . .with regards to the stage 1 and stage 3: is the stage 3 compact enough for things like overhead bins on planes?? how different do they feel (stage 3 more like a travelite?)

also curious if any of these bags have 30 mm padding. I was looking at the boulder alpine because one website listed it at 30 mm padding, but all the others list it at 12 mm.

the density of the material is unstated .. 12mm of high density closed cell is a lot different

Functionally , than 30mm of low density open cell foam .

So thickness+ density is the fuller information to seek.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have never seen the attraction of gig bags.... especially when you can get a light hard case like the travellite, which is soooooo much better for your piece of mind, let alone your mandolin.... has backpack straps etc...

I have had gig bags in the past.... and to this day, can't imagine what entered my head to use them.

IF that is your cup of tea.... more power to you.... just don't let that thing out of your hands with a mandolin in side
    John D

8. The following members say thank you to JFDilmando for this post:

More than $100 but Colorado Cases has a nice gig bag, I have one for guitar. I just use the Gator GL for my mandolin, think I paid less than $75 for it on Amazon....here's a link to one on Muscian's Friend....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...-mandolin-case

Check this thread....http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-for-under-100

Destroyer of Mandolins

I don't think I'd trust anything under $100. Reunion Blues are about the best, but they're still soft cases. A really good soft case like a RB weighs almost as much as a lightweight fitted hard case. Frankly, soft cases make me feel like I'm walking around with a sack of lightbulbs: A disaster waiting to happen. I can see their appeal for guitarists since a hard case can weigh three or four times as much as its contents, but mandolins are small and easily sat upon.

And that's from the Destroyer of Mandolins.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

Agree with JFDinmando.I want more protection for my mandolin than a glorified quilt. If you want less weight carry a master tone banjo in a hard case a little while, the mandolin then will be much lighter.

Agree on Access 3. Nice bag for the buck.

Blog Entries

I have a Boulder Alpine Gig bag. for a bag it is very nice. Mandolins aren't that heavy. I usually use a case and not the gig bag.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The Access gig bags are fantastic. The models have changed several time in construction and price, so it's hard to know the diff of the one and three 'stages' without seeing them. The stage three used to be under $75 and a great versatile gig bag with plenty of protection from casual bumps. I believe that the current stage three has more rigid plastic underneath. Call Elderly and ask and you will learn!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by jazzjune18 View Post
    thanks for the recommendations. RB bag looks lice, but a little pricy at the moment (maybe I can be convinced) .. hah. . .with regards to the stage 1 and stage 3: is the stage 3 compact enough for things like overhead bins on planes?? how different do they feel (stage 3 more like a travelite?)
    The stage three is compact enough to fly with. I like the stage three because it is very sturdy and well made. It also has a lot of pocket space for tuners, straps, strings, and so forth.
    I just compared my Travelite F-5 case to the stage three and the Travelite is a full pound lighter then the stage three gig bag, 3 1/2 lb's compared to 4 1/2 lb's (cases being empty).
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I also have a Boulder Alpine Gig Bag and have always been very pleased with it.
    I do not travel much with my mandolin, though.
    My mandolin travels from home to church (I play in the choir) and the occasional jam.
    If I traveled or played out much, I would have a hard shell case.

Joseph Baker

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

The now-defunct Tribal Planet gigbags were excellent and highly protective and I still use one for local gigs and sessions to save lugging a Hiscox or similar. Warwick Rockbags are also good.