Thread: New guitar

Default New guitar

Traded in my Godin A5 Kingpin today... Got myself a Taylor 214-ce Koa Deluxe. It is a special edition. I went downstairs to my fav toy store (yes I live above them now hehe, just a different city). Took my Fender in for a setup too... fixed the nut, adjusted truss rod, did the bridge and plays like a dream... only charged me $25... setup on the Taylor was free

quite the pickup setup too. what a beautiful guitarClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4049.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	135088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4050.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	135089Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4052.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	135090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4054.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	135091
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Default Re: New guitar

Very nice! I'm a fan of Taylor guitars.

3. The following members say thank you to Blewbyou for this post:

It sounds amazing. This store is one of a large chain I have been dealing with forever. This particular store carries more Taylors than any other and this one came in yesterday. I played Martins, Gibsons and the Taylor just really stood out. I actually got to play my first Eastman mandolins down there too as they had 3 models. The acoustic room is huge with so many models and brands to choose from.... and Len the Luthier on site is really good. I let him tweak my fender first to see what he could do. He did an amazing job and for $25 with same day turnover? wow. The Taylor had one fret a little high. He fixed that on the spot too. I live in Abbotsford now. The Surrey store had to send stuff away. Now I can walk downstairs in my slippers to get work done. He is getting a steady stream of work from me as I need frets dressed on a few and I am letting him setup my banjo

the little adjustment screws on the bridge saddle allow you to dial in the sound for each pair of strings and inside the soundhole is an LED setup for checking battery life. I enjoyed the sound of my fender but side by side this one has much more clarity. I am going to put the power pins on the Taylor next
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

5. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Taylor makes some nice stuff--but wow--you sold a Godin Kingpin?

Most people love those.

Well it's your guitar--so enjoy!
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

7. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post:

Lucky you! I can't imagine living over my favorite music store. Boy, would I be in trouble.

9. The following members say thank you to Bruce Cech for this post:

The Godin was nice but had trouble staying in tune in this heat. it also doesn't have any volume direct into the board. I paid 600 for the Godin, got 400 off the Taylor....

and yes it is dangerous living over this store as I have an open account and can take anything and put it on... that said I can get strings anytime I want and they let me park my motorcycle in the locked fenced parking lot out back.

I have 2 strats for electrics, and now 2 acoustics, and I primarily play acoustic. I have always wanted a high end acoustic... and this Koa is just beautiful. I have been playing it for the last couple days a lot

11. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Real nice. Congrats! I would also be in trouble living above that toy store....and broke.
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

13. The following members say thank you to Londy for this post:

Congrats on your Taylor. I own a special edition 414kce with koa back and sides, that I bought new in the late 90s. Mine has matured beautifully, and sounds amazing. I love the way koa sort of splits the difference tonally between mahogany and rosewood. If you like the way it sounds now, I can assure you it will only get better as it ages.

15. The following members say thank you to itstooloudMike for this post:

I learned a valuable lesson about humidifiers yesterday. This is my first high end acoustic. I picked it up to play yesterday and I had some fret buzz. The luthier is just downstairs and said drop it back again if it needed anything. well I learned the higher end guitars need a humidifier as the heat was allowing the top to drop a bit...

I know a lot of you on here talk about them and I shrugged it off because I normally played electric instruments or lower end acoustics. laminates are not affected near as much (like my fender). so I bought one that fits between the strings in the soundhole and put it in the case. Now I am paranoid and trying to figure a humidifier out for all my other wood instruments

Love the Koa wood!! Quite beautiful. How does it sound compared to mahogany or a rosewood? Just curious.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Thanks for a nice read, Barry; and for drawing us into the experience.

Myst.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

19. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

I will have to do a recording of this thing. it has such an amazing sound. I am starting to add more guitar songs to the repetoire.

This guitar is very rich sounding with incredible sustain. notes ring on and on fretted or open. it has me now wanting to spend the money on a good OM.