Thread: is this clip on mic good for mandolin , violin ?

Default is this clip on mic good for mandolin , violin ?

I am looking to buy a clip on mic for my nephew's violin. Would this be a good one ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Techni...item4d2b5f3c1c

My nephew's violin is 600$ range violin and I do not want to alter anything on it as I did with mine (installing an active pickup with preamp on the side, i.e. having to cut a hole to fit the preamp).

Blog Entries

Default Re: is this clip on mic good for mandolin , violin ?

Yes.

These are really excellent. I'd jump on it fast at that price. Chris Thile uses one.

You will just need to buy the AT Phantom adapter separately to match - still a very good price, though.
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Jun-12-2015 at 10:23am. Reason: Link Added
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

I asked a similar question here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-mic-vs-others

People recommended the AT PRO35, for around $100 all told, including the "power module": http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K67VG0
    Last edited by keithb; Jun-12-2015 at 11:29pm.

I think the AT Pro35 is a better choice for your nephew. I've used mine for that application to good effect. Also, you will likely have compatibility/connector issues with that ATM350cw on eBay as it has a hirose connector. These pop up at heavy discount for that reason. Buyer beware though.
    Brian Muller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Muller View Post
    I think the AT Pro35 is a better choice for your nephew. I've used mine for that application to good effect. Also, you will likely have compatibility/connector issues with that ATM350cw on eBay as it has a hirose connector. These pop up at heavy discount for that reason. Buyer beware though.
    The ATPRO35 is also supplied with a hirose or with a TA3F mini XLR connector... though there was a hard wired version that you don't see too often. The last ones I've had through have all been hirose or TAF3 + adapter. It is very confusing in fact, as there are THREE POSSIBLE TERMINATIONS and (at least) two phantom adapters. A bit of a buyers nightmare... I have just checked my own ATM350 and that one has the mini-XLR TA3F termination into an AT8542 phantom adapter.

There is a comprehensive FAQ on AT's site:

http://answers.audio-technica.com/an.../questions.htm

$122 for an ATM350CW (hirose connector) is a very good price, even allowing for the adapter.

The original link I gave to the adapter is wrong, unfortunately. Apologies. That is the TA3F input version. The hirose version is required for the ATM350CW: part number Audio-Technica AT8539

$279 is the normal street price for that combination.

Both the PRO35 and the ATM350 can be purchased in two boxed formats, however. As 'wireless' (suffix CW) hirose only, or as 'wired' which has the power module included in the set.

The ATM350 is technically a superior mic to the PRO35 in several ways, however, in general use, both perform well and many may not notice much difference. I use both regularly and they are nice mics.
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Jun-13-2015 at 12:40am. Reason: Corrections and additions
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

The ATM 350 cw is apparently designed for wireless, while the ATM 350 is conventional wired XLR. From the Audio Technica site in response to a question as to the difference:

Yes, they are the same element. The ATM350 is a wired microphone. The output connector is a standard balanced 3-pin XLR male type connector, and it is designed to be connected to a balanced XLR microphone input with phantom power on it.
    The ATM350cW is the wireless version of the mic. The output connector is a 4-pin female Hirose type connector, and it is designed to be connected to our UniPak model bodypack transmitters. Power is supplied by the transmitter in the form of a low bias voltage.
    The wired ATM350 uses an inline power module to convert phantom power to bias voltage, balance the output, and set the output impedance. The requirement of the power module adds to the cost of the ATM350 wired microphone.

See http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/ac...4db/index.html

headset mics work well with violins since their F holes face Upwards..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Check out the AT831 avalier mic--with the adapter for acoustic guitar. Cardiod pattern and a similar mic to the one you are using. A step up from the "pro series." They have two clip on adapters with the set (XLR connector). I was able to attached the clips to the f-hole--with appropriate padding (used pieces of felt velcro on the clip) so that I did not mar the finish.

I am familiar with the 350s--we have them at our church. One of our sound guys designed a special adapter for this mandolin so that it attaches more easily to the instrument (avoids the spring clip)--and attaches to the body.

I am not sure how this would work on the violin f hole. I use GAF tape to help secure this sometimes--but not really needed. I also atttache the connecting MINI XLR to my strap near the tailpiece with GAF tape so the pickup could not be pulled away from the instrument accidentally.

Andy

Man, you guys are not making the choice between mics any easier for me

Blog Entries

For violin use, the DPA clip is excellent.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Mic...de/Violin.aspx

For mandolin mounts, scroll down this thread:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-mic-vs-others
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288