Thread: My new (and first) Loar 590!

Smile My new (and first) Loar 590!

Hi!
    I asked this for your experience and advice in an earlier post, but since it got outdated (I had a dilemma between some other mandolins) I decided to update you in a new post.

After a long time researching, waiting, reresearching giving up and so on...
    my mandolin finally arrived Wednesday night.
    The Loar 590 - even better looking than on any pics I have seen. Less dark.
    It was ordered from Thomann with a cool SKB hardcase and a set of Sam Bush strings and arrived in a box that I could fit in (and I'm 1.88) protected by much foam and bubbles.
    I was impressed with the amount of protection and care provided.

I clipped my Snark on it, tuned it and it was quite ready to play right out of the box.
    I lowered the saddle and it's fine.
    I latter found out that intonation was a bit off, so i moved the bridge a bit toward the tailpiece and now it's perfect! (First try - pretty neat, right?)
    I did break the lower e string in the process...
    And the next day, while opening a box at work (pharmacy), I cut the TOP of my LEFT INDEX finger with a scalpel. I've never had a scalpel injury before!!!
    But I cleaned it, put some Belgrade balm on it, let it rest and the next morning I was fretting again!
    Right now, I'm thinking about changing the strings. Hard decision for a first timer...
    So much work.
    I am thinking of putting the Sam Bush strings or D'Addario J62 (the only ones that the closest music store holds) or maybe just putting my old guitar 10 string...
    I'm afraid that, being my first string change on a mandolin, I'd break those special Sam Bush strings.
    Any suggestions?

I'm attaching some images!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	135305 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1790.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	135306

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Default Re: My new (and first) Loar 590!

Only 1 serious suggestion - if you are going to shuffle the bridge around to set intonation, be sure to reduce string tension, tune it down maybe halfway. There's a lot of tension in those 8 strings, and if you push at full tension you could break something like the bridge saddle especially., also scratch the top. Just reduce the tension.

Changing strings? Most recommend one at a time - to preserve bridge intonation. Again, you could reduce tension about halfway or maybe more - just to keep bridge in place, and it allows some room for fingers. There's a huge thread on changing strings right now in this section of the forum, maybe you have seen it already.

If your fingers are not calloused already, go for the Light Gauge for starters, save the Bush for next change, etc.

Also when tuning up, those E strings can break - it helps to tune close to full, then go real slow, a little at a time, alternating between both E's, little here, little there, back and forth. don't ask how I learned that.

Congrats on your first. Have fun with it.

Myst.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

3. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

LV89 

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Nice looking 590 and i also like that it isn't so dark, i have a 600 and enjoy playing it, have fun and enjoy it
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darrylicshon For This Useful Post:

Check the strap button - those are "friction fit". Make sure it doesn't fall out when using a strap. Push it in if it's loose - firm but not hard - inside there, it's pushing against the tail block, so don't use a hammer on it. Really? yup. It's removable if you ever run a pickup w a jack where the button is.

I often recommend checking out Frank Ford's site at www.frets.com for all kinds of info about maintenance and repair and adjustments etc. Not sure but you likely have a 2way truss rod that adjusts with an allen key - mine uses a 4mm allen key.

There a big write up about trussrods on "frets.com" - read it. Don't go there unless necessary. I mean don't adjust unless necessary. Also, there's pictures and tons of info about almost everything. Highly recommended reading. It helps if you want to do your own rather than pay someone to do what you want - it puts you in charge, at least you can understand the tek if you get into a conversation about it.

Also - Paul Hostetter's site is really good too - at www.luthiery.net = I think that's it. If not google it.

I saw your pix - it looks really nice - w nice flame maple on the back. Nice case too. I like that lighter colour.

= Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

7. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

LV89 

Thanks for the compliments on my mandolin, guys, and for all the info!
    MysTiK PiKn, of course I've loosened the strings. Just reading about messing with the bridge while under such tension gives me chills!
    And as for changing strings slowly... I came to learn that too, with my guitar. My very first string change and the new e string snapped. I was so... not relaxed by that. So I may be a little into your secret method of learning about string change.
    Truss rod... i got a key for it, but I hope I won't need it. I'll surely be checking out stuff at frets.com. I already read about restringing the mandolin. The site is full of info!
    www.luthiery.net seems to be out of function.
    As for the strap buttom, it seems firmly in place. Thanks for the heads up! You really sound like "The Loar repair guy"!

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	135380

I decided to take your advice and will put on the D'Addario j62s first. Fingers are not the problem. They're resilient enough, even though even while playing guitar I spend much time with a slide.
    By the way, I noticed small white spots on the fretboard i thought that it's finish as starting to wear off and the realized that those were tiny pieces of my fingers, grated like parmesan. That was a relief!
    I may not be into overly crisp sound, but I like that they are "fret friendly". I am already starting to get worried about the frets, after reading about them not lasting much on the mandolins and noticing little marks on my frets already. They're not really dents (at least no as far as I can see/feel), just visual marks.
    Here's a picture of the one on the 2nd fret under the A strings (I use that B on every melody I play, it seems!). It's the most noticeable.

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	135381

Any words of comfort? The worry is kinda messing with my mandolin-happy-time.

Thanks!
    Italia Maranello Calssic Blue Sparkle
    The Loar 590

omg - I didn't mean to scare you. I just like to share information with people.

- btw = the correct link to Hostetter's site is:

http://www.lutherie.net/index.html

Lots of info there also.

Yeh, I apologize for striking fear into the situation. There's nothing to worry about. Everything is ok.

Frets do wear, but it's really slow - we are talking years - it's metal on metal, so it's going to leave little marks - after a few years, you will see more normal wear, usually slight dents or grooves - often those can be lightly sanded with really fine (600)grit sandpaper, and they will be minimized, or disappear, or blend in. Nothing to worry. Most people never do it. If there's a problem, it's usually easy fix anyway. And you have all that tons of info on those 2 links.

The intention is more about help if you need help, and you can understand wassup, and can speak about it and understand when others speak. That's all. Me, I spose I got lost in it; but I had some issues to deal with, and that info helped me.

As for me being the 'repair guy, eh' - that's a bit of a joke, eh - I only work on my own, eh. I'm Canadian, eh. I guess we speak a lil different, eh. But I try to help people on the forum sometimes.
    There's a lot more repair and build talk on the Builder's forum here. And people in that section of the forum are very helpful also, and extremely well educated as well. They know their stuff - me, I am just the newbie.

Thx for saying you loosened the strings - some don't, I do, whatever. I think it's a good idea for any adjustment. And I just didn't want to hear any sad stories.

Nice you got a truss rod wrench - there was an issue with some other brand that didn't provide that. You don't use it without a specific reason, even then, it's 1/8th of a turn at one time usually - and that info is again, in Frank Ford's site. The thing is, you have the tool, so you don't have to find one, or figure out what size - plus - it's hard to actually buy only the right size - they sell them in sets. No worries, again. See?

What else did I do to your worried mind? What's this parmesan cheese on the fretboard - omg - that's disgusting
    Yes, you'll notice the finger callous on mando is not the same as guitar - guitar causes parmesan cheese, mando? I dunno, but there's no cheese (soon). It seems to me the double strings don't rip and tear like guitar can do. I guess you are in transition.

I haven't played much guitar for months. I picked it up last night, and I thought I was handling a double standup bass. That thing is huge. Or mando is just tiny.

You don't have problems, except I can't see one of the E strings in the picture you posted. Glad I didn't see the cheese.

Cheers. Have some fun. And wear out your frets.

Peace
    Myst.

I just figured out who you are, from your original thread - glad you worked out your dilemma. That's really cool.
    Your other thread is still there in the information forum.
    Cheers
    Well done.

Hey!
    No, MysTiK PiKn, it wasn't you who planted the fret-worry into my messed up head.
    Some threads I read about frets wear made me a bit unsettled.
    I even dreamed messed up frets one night!
    But your words did ease that worry! Thanks!
    Really! Your post made me jump up and play Hobbits theme from The Lord Of The Rings! (It's maybe my favorite tune. A real joy to play!)
    Now, regarding the parmesan thing (man, it gives me no pleasure to repeat it)...
    I wasn't trying to call my fingers debris eatable at all, definitely not as delicious as parmesan, I only wanted to say that I prefer the strings grating my fingers rather than the fretboard.
    As for people speaking different... yeah... we do.
    I also hear some (cool) things about Canadians. Being themselves without rubbing it in other people's faces. But I don't like to rely on stereotypes and generalization, for I know the damage it can make when it is (an it very much is) (mis)used.

I'd also like to say that my mandolin now has all the strings in place.
    It's great! Looks great, feels great, sounds great (as much as it can, being played by me) even smells great! Seriously, even the hardcase has a nice smell!

Running off to play it now!

Best regards!
    Italia Maranello Calssic Blue Sparkle
    The Loar 590

Congrats on the new mando! She is a looker
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

13. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

LV89 

I have two Loars, an A Style and an F. I really enjoy playing them. For the money I think they are great mandos.

15. The following members say thank you to RhodyMando for this post:

LV89