Thread: string spacing on a Mandola

Blog Entries

Default string spacing on a Mandola

I am now a very happy owner of a Collings MT mandola. However, I noticed that the spacing of the outside strings e.g. the A and C strings seem very close to the edge of the fingerboard. I looked at my Collings MT mandolin and the spacing is the same.

There seems to be a mistake or different method of creating a larger instrument nut and saddle spacing than I would do on a viola for example. The four courses should be placed on the nut in proportion to the nut, not just a set distance from the edge of the fingerboard.

In playing the instrument it feels like I can 'fall off the edge' or at least feel the edge sometimes as I play on 'outside strings'.

I assume Collings has a method. Does anyone know? And how do you space strings on a mandola?
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Default Re: string spacing on a Mandola

IMO it's largely personal preference, but generally I aim for the same distance from outside strings to the edge of the fretboard on nearly all instruments. OK longer scale, wider fretboard instruments (guitars) can have a bit more space, but 'dola's are generally set up as large mandolins, in fact often the nut width is not much wider than on a mandolin (just a little more space to cope with the larger strings).

3. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

DougC