Thread: Alternate (reentrant) tuning question

Default Alternate (reentrant) tuning question

Hi Folks,

I've been doing some considering of tenor guitar and ran into an article somewhere on the web that mentioned an interesting alt. tuning. Problem is, I can't seem to remember where I found the website?!?! So I'll post my query here in hopes that the experts can inform me.

The site mentioned an alternate tuning where the D string was a reentrant point, so CGDA as opposed to CGda (I'm using the lower case to show the standard way of continued rise in pitch). To make sure I'm clear, the site suggested tune C to G up a 5th, then from G, go DOWN a 4th for your D, and then back up a 5th again to A. They mention a jazz or blues artist did this way back when. Again, don't remember the name, but it would make sense for jazz chording since you'd get a nice closed voicing using the same fingerings. I'm not sure how melody lines would sound though, or if chord-melody playing is possible.

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried this or could point me to videos/recording/previous posts of someone playing/discussing this tuning. Also wondering what string gauges would be best?

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Default Re: Alternate (reentrant) tuning question

That sort of sounds like what Eddie Freeman did for years. But I seem to recall he played in a DGBE tuning. I've been thinking about variations on reentrant playing, much like the basic uke tuning which tunes the fourth string one octave higher but I don't have an instrument which I feel would benefit from this approach.

It is an interesting idea but for me, a bit sonically limiting.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

Eddie Freeman tuning is what you're after:

Thanks, Eddie Freeman is it! I knew I recognize the name if I heard/read it again! The video is a great example too, sure sounds like a chord melody is no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqrkr4oHhfg Here's one Jake Wildwood converted an old Archtop Guitar into what looks like a Mandocello but it's actually a hybrid of a Cretan Lute & a Mandocello called "Cretan Lute/Mandocello". It's tuned CGDA like a Mandocello but the 4th String is an Octave Higher than normally. Mandocello fifths tuning is gorgeous sounding for chords but if you’re backing other instruments, it can be a little muddy and maybe a little too wide (unless maybe you had Thomastik Flatwound Mandocello Strings). This stringing gives you the open voicing of fifths tuning and the ease of playing melody but mushes the notes closer together to give it something of a Celtic bouzouki or 12-string guitar sound.