Thread: In praise of the Blue Chip round bevel

Smile In praise of the Blue Chip round bevel

After playing with a Blue Chip CT55 as my main pick for the last couple years, I ordered a CT55 round bevel to compare with the rather extreme speed bevel carved into the standard CT model.

The round bevel sounds great! It feels a bit like an improved ProPlec, with more brightness and much more volume than those D'Andreas. It has a thicker attack than the Blue Chip speed bevel and produces a rather satisfying rounded tone from of the trebles. I do prefer the varieties of usable angles that I'm able to find with the BC "CT-style" speed bevel, but the solid attack of this round bevel is quite a nice alternative.

I bought the pick with the thought of possibly returning it (or selling my older one), but they each have found their respective place in my playing.

Also, to mention it, my original CT55 is in perfect picking shape after a couple years of daily practice and regular gigging on mandolin and acoustic guitar - I anticipate that it'll keep up without issue for years to come. For me, the Blue Chip cost is offset by the peace of mind that the feel of the pick will always be consistent from the beginning to the end of a long session.

2. The following members say thank you to msargent for this post:

Default Re: In praise of the Blue Chip round bevel

Thanks for pointing out. I love my CT55 and it is still flawless after daily use for 2 years. I recently was given a 1.5 pro-plec of the same shape, and noticed how much easier it was to tremolo, maybe because the round bevel. I love my ct55 and didn't realize a round bevel was available. I might have to order one for songs with a lot of tremolo!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

This makes me almost want to try a BC. I've been using PaPa's picks 2.2mm for the past 7 months and it has very slight wear with 1 hour practicing daily.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I have a TPR 60 and an SR 60 with round bevel. Very interesting differences in tone, I really like the sound I can get.

Agreed, the attack is totally different, very solid.

I also have some with the normal right hand bevel so I know what you are saying, they each have a place in my playing!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I have tried a couple of Blue Chips, such as the XR60 that is standard without a bevel. But, I have also tried a couple of picks including the TAD60 with a right hand bevel and a rounded bevel and much prefer the tone from the rounded bevel. The beveling on each side of the point makes the pick significantly thinner at the area where the pick strikes the string and makes the tone much brighter.

Just my opinion but I have yet to find a beveled pick that produces a smooth tone for me.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

7. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

msargent, I concur, the rounded (standard bevel) gives me the same results.

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I tried bout one of the Thile bluechips and all I get is tinky trebly tone. Doesn't work for me. I may try another bluechip because it seems the material is great, that bevel is horrible for my tone.

Blog Entries

I love the right handed bevel myself. It warms up the tone, to my ear, and reduces the click. YMMV of course.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Currently trying out a TAD-3R 60.

There's a hint of right-hand bevel, but the corners have been slightly rounded, compared to a regular TAD/CT shape.

So far, joy.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I have tried a couple of Blue Chips, such as the XR60 that is standard without a bevel. But, I have also tried a couple of picks including the TAD60 with a right hand bevel and a rounded bevel and much prefer the tone from the rounded bevel. The beveling on each side of the point makes the pick significantly thinner at the area where the pick strikes the string and makes the tone much brighter.

Just my opinion but I have yet to find a beveled pick that produces a smooth tone for me.
    I fully agree with you on the sound of bevel picks. I can not stand the sound of the pick raking across the strings and most clips I've heard of BC sound great but I can always hear that high pitch pick/string rake.

PaPa's faux ivoroid 2.2mm is the closest I've found to fat tone with out the raking sound and it really fattens up the A/E course strings with out being brittle sounding.
    Waterloo WL-M

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    I fully agree with you on the sound of bevel picks. I can not stand the sound of the pick raking across the strings and most clips I've heard of BC sound great but I can always hear that high pitch pick/string rake.

PaPa's faux ivoroid 2.2mm is the closest I've found to fat tone with out the raking sound and it really fattens up the A/E course strings with out being brittle sounding.
    It's actually nice to see some other comments that favor a rounded edge on a pick. It seems that most everyone likes the bevel and I never understood why. The picks I've tried with a bevel always sounded harsh and bright to me.

Joey, how does that Papa's faux ivoroid pick compare to others when it comes to volume? I know it's not the same, but i had a Red Bear pick with a rounded edge and the tone was to die for. By far the sweetest tone I ever heard from my mandolin, but it was also the quietest pick ever. I would have had to beat the snot out of the mandolin to be heard in a band setting. The Papa's picks look nice to and I'd like to try them.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

15. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

You can custom order a ct55 with one round corner (angle?).

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

@fatt-dad: That's absolutely right. I considered that, but the custom orders have no return policy and I wasn't sure if I wanted to take that chance. I'm now in the habit of showing up to practice/gigs with both CT-55's (speed and round) in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    It's actually nice to see some other comments that favor a rounded edge on a pick. It seems that most everyone likes the bevel and I never understood why. The picks I've tried with a bevel always sounded harsh and bright to me.

Joey, how does that Papa's faux ivoroid pick compare to others when it comes to volume? I know it's not the same, but i had a Red Bear pick with a rounded edge and the tone was to die for. By far the sweetest tone I ever heard from my mandolin, but it was also the quietest pick ever. I would have had to beat the snot out of the mandolin to be heard in a band setting. The Papa's picks look nice to and I'd like to try them.
    That's tough to answer as I've only tried the PaPa's against a Fender Extra Heavy 351. That being said.. The Fender had the mids scooped with a hard attack and brittle highs. The PaPa's seem to bring the middle range up to the lows and highs while at the same time giving a fatter tone overall.. But has a softer attack. Volume seems about the same with either pick on my KM900.

I don't play bluegrass and there isn't any blues jams in my area so I can't say how loud the PaPa's pick are with a group setting, but I can get two or three of them for the price of a BC at the thickness and bevel I use.
    Waterloo WL-M

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    That's tough to answer as I've only tried the PaPa's against a Fender Extra Heavy 351. That being said.. The Fender had the mids scooped with a hard attack and brittle highs. The PaPa's seem to bring the middle range up to the lows and highs while at the same time giving a fatter tone overall.. But has a softer attack. Volume seems about the same with either pick on my KM900.

I don't play bluegrass and there isn't any blues jams in my area so I can't say how loud the PaPa's pick are with a group setting, but I can get two or three of them for the price of a BC at the thickness and bevel I use.
    Thanks for the response. I might have to try one of the Papa's picks sometime.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

20. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Blog Entries

I prefer the BC round bevel sound and feel but the speed bevel does make it easier to play a little faster. And the speed bevel cuts more volume wise in a jam. On the porch or if I record it's the round bevel.

22. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

playing with my forearm on the tailpiece its neither RH like on armrest around to the 7~8:00

or LH if playing like Jethro burns , no strap and the right arm just below the TP (4~5:00 )

have only 2nd hand BC's those people went RH.. box stock 346 picks are tumble rounded in a drum.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture