Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparisons between A Style and F style for a given builder

Default Re: Comparisons between A Style and F style for a given builder

Once again, thanks to everyone who has responded.

Quote Originally Posted by acousticphd View Post
    Well, the "question", or perhaps the assertion has been made and argued here many times. I am someone who owns and plays only A-style mandolins, and that (that comparable-level or same-series A models are just as good) is certainly my belief. I have a strong aesthetic preference for the A-style shape, but for me it definitely is too about the economy or affordability. That doesn't mean I am trying to scrimp; it means I would rather own 2 or 3 A-styles instead of 1 or 2 F-styles.

I have had people tell me many times how good one of my instruments sounds "for an A-style". This is nonsense, and just shows how ingrained the idea is that A-models are "lesser than" - and yet it is a sort of compliment at the same time. Say "thank you", and play on.

When you ask the "is it just as good" question, it is important that the person you seek to please is YOU. I think you are on more even ground when you compare models from the same "series" or trim level (as opposed to comparing the highest A model to the highest F). Nearly all mfrs and builders arrange their products into price levels in this way, according to finish and trim and wood figuring, etc., though it may be that the best-looking or -figured wood sets tend to be reserved for the top F-models. If we just for example were to compare an Eastman 805 (A-style) with the 815 (F-style), then yes, I would be completely confident the A-model is made just as well as should sound just as good, on average. Same with Collings or someone else. At the same time, I would expect to find that the simpler, less expensive models in a quality line of instruments may be the best bargain of all, and there is little reason why they would not sound just as good because they have a matte finish, less binding, and perhaps more economical hardware.
    I too prefer A styles mandolins, and it has little to do with economics or value. I prefer the aesthetic, and find them more balanced and comfortable. What I worry about is whether I am "short-changing" myself should I select (for instance) a Collings MT2 over an MF5. Sure, my ears would guide me, but generalities can be useful in narrowing a search.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acousticphd View Post
    Nearly all mfrs and builders arrange their products into price levels in this way, according to finish and trim and wood figuring, etc., though it may be that the best-looking or -figured wood sets tend to be reserved for the top F-models. .
    I have no way of knowing, but I do not think many, if any builders, reserve the "better" tone woods for the more expensive F style. Trim and aesthetic decisions might be different based on price level, but I think a builder goes after the best sound possible with every instrument.

But there again, it is individual, and you just have to play 'em and see. In general, I believe, significant differences in sound quality between an A and an F body are due to differences other than the A or F body. Any given A could sound closer to any given F than it does to other A models, and etc.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have had people tell me many times how good one of my instruments sounds "for an A-style".
    Come to think of it, I've heard that quite a few times myself. It is a statement of the too-common underlying, ingrained belief that F mandolins sound better than A mandolins, whether those holding that belief admit it to themselves or not. Something that ingrained in the collective consciousness is a stubborn thing.

I have no way of knowing, but I do not think many, if any builders, reserve the "better" tone woods for the more expensive F style.
    I think that is correct. These days, we have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to tonewoods. Specialty businesses dealing in wood for instruments cull through tons of wood and sell the cream of the crop to builders. Unfortunately, wood appearance is assigned to much priority, IMO, but still...
    A builder buys wood, that is the cream of the crop, from tonewood suppliers. In most cases, better quality than has historically been available. That is all the suppliers sell. Where, exactly, would a builder come up with their inferior tonewood to use in A-style mandolins? Would he/she seek it out from some other source just to use it in A mandolins? Doesn't make sense, does it?

Personally, I try to use top and back wood pieces that are too small for F-style tops and backs when I build an A. Sometimes, that is some of my best wood, and it was reserved for use in an A because it would not make an F. So, in my case, wood that is reserved for F-style mandolins is reserved because it is big enough. Why waste the extra wood using it for an A when I have smaller pieces of wood for that?

4. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

dang 

Kind of a sweeping generalization, but a Mass Produced Import would have variations in mandolins
    that look identical

though the tone each produce will have variation, because wood is not a uniform Material.

a friend, part time at the local Music shop went to the Eastman Importer's Warehouse
    and tried a Bunch of Lookalike F5s to find the tone he preferred in the whole Lot.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Kind of a sweeping generalization, but a Mass Produced Import would have variations in mandolins
    that look identical though the tone each produce will have variation
    I tried several Eastman F5's at their booth last year and the two 315s they had sounded totally different from each other. One was very thin and the other sounded more balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ...how much of a compromise in tone are you willing to accept in an affordable mandolin because it has a better resale value...
    None, I want to be selective. Affordable is a self defined case which means I can get it at a price I can spare.
    Last edited by OldGus; Jul-14-2015 at 3:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    I would never presume that I could tell someone what is better for them relative to how an instrument sounds. The thought just amuses me, and that folks actually do that just reveals a certain ignorance that will go away with time, age, experience, introspection, or ...not.
    Glad you're amused. How about this one? .And this Hogan is a cannon .