Thread: St Louis Area Jams?

Default St Louis Area Jams?

Any St Louis area jams out there?
    I know about the Mozingo one on the 1st Saturday afternoon of a month but that (usually) does not work with my schedule.

I'm in west county.

Default Re: St Louis Area Jams?

Jim,
    There is a jam twice a month or so at CJ Muggs in Webster on Wednsday evenings.http://www.cjmuggs.com/calendar_webster.htm Also Shlafley's in Maplewood has a sunday afternoon jam about 3:00 p.m. I think there is a list of jams in KDHX's Yonder Calendar. http://kdhx.org/music/news/the-yonder-calendar Hope you find one.

3. The following members say thank you to Kirk Pey for this post:

Jim B 

Kirk,
    Thanks much.

Not sure if you're still looking but Mondays 6:00 pm: Meramec Jack's, Valley Park is decent. Good music, smoky bar.

6. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Jim B 

http://www.musicfolk.com/

Music Folk hosts an Old Time jam every other Tuesday and also Irish Sessions every Wednesday.
    Sucker for a hard luck case

Quote Originally Posted by resophonic View Post
    Music Folk hosts an Old Time jam every other Tuesday and also Irish Sessions every Wednesday.
    Music Folk is a great institution. I'm not a fan of their jams however. The Old Time jam is too stiff. Very little improvisation. When I did go and deviate from the fiddle tune, I got a lot of sideways looks from other players. If you like to play straight up fiddle tunes where everyone plays the same melody on every break, then it's for you, just not for me. The Irish session is more loose and fun if you like irish music.

Schlafly Bottleworks is a fun jam that is wide ranging. Run by a good musician. Sometimes pretty crowded and in a loud bar, so hard to hear what is going on. I haven't been to this one in a year or so.

Meramec Jack's is smaller and the musicianship is not as high as at the Schlafly jam, but still good. Way easier to hear whats going on. Downside is cigarette smoke.

PM me if you're going to check one out and I'll meet you there.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Music Folk is a great institution. I'm not a fan of their jams however. The Old Time jam is too stiff. Very little improvisation. When I did go and deviate from the fiddle tune, I got a lot of sideways looks from other players.
    Plenty of improvisation in Bluegrass but not in Old Time, harmony, yes, but not improvisation. Not much different than an Irish session, they would look at you funny too. Your supposed to play or accompany the melody. Irish is even more stiff lipped about it than Old Time and you might get the boot if you stray too far from the tune.

I have heard that if anything, the Music Folk Old Time jam may be too well attended. I enjoy myself much more these days at jams with small groups and not get absorbed into cacophony.
    Sucker for a hard luck case

I think the old time jam is also used by the folk school to introduce students to jam sessions and it is sometimes used as a teaching space a bit. I have found that the irish session is a bit more free flowing, but it could be that I have a better background in that type of music. I am glad that there are options in the area that people can check out and see what fits them the best.
    The only one listed here that I have not gone to is the one in the OP - Mozingo's.
    I'd check it out next Sat, but we're having a jam at our house that same day & time.
    To the OP - if you want to come to our house jam on 10/3/15, PM me and I'll give you the details. We're in West County also.

Al thanks for the invite. I'll be out of town this weekend visiting my daughter.

Next time.

Sun Nov 1 1-4PM also.

Safe travels!

Focal Point's Thursday night jams in Maplewood -- probably the oldest in St. Louis. All acoustic, all kinds of music. Starts at 7 pm and goes usually to around 11. Varies a lot from week tojust the wr week. Some weeks really cooks, others, when there's a big crowd or wrong chemistry, it struggles. But it's always fund, and very friendly, and the best acoustixcs. Great listening hall with lots of good concerts, mostly weekends.

14. The following members say thank you to hellindc for this post:

Jim B 

Going to Mozingo's on Sat 11/07/15. I'll report back.
    If anyone wants to go, 1-4PM
    4689 Highway K#
    O'Fallon, MO 63385

Blog Entries

Last entry in this thread was November 2015. How much of this stuff is still happening and what is going on these days. I am making more and more trips to the St. Louis area and want to bring my mandolin.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....