Thread: Curt Mangan strings

Default Curt Mangan strings

I haven't used anything but J-74's in many years, but when I learned Mangans were made in Colorado I had to give them a try.
    Unfortunately, it looks like I got a distressed set, pre- tarnished. Not sure what else it could be but not something I've ever seen on D'Addario's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	136432  

Default Re: Curt Mangan strings

I've opened about 80 sets of Curt Mangan strings so far this year and they all have been perfect. I'd give them a call. Curt answeres the phone most of the time and his customer service is excellent.

i'd like to hear what folks have thought about these... any comments?
    John D

Quote Originally Posted by JFDilmando View Post
    i'd like to hear what folks have thought about these... any comments?
    Yeah, I'd like to hear too. Anybody?????

love 'em
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I bought 4sets. This is the 26 from the second set I opened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	136436  

You can contact Curt, as Max said. He worked for Ernie Ball for years, and he knows his stuff. He is also a consummate customer service person. He wants his customers to be happy.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Hmmm... My son recommended them to me and I rather like them. Strong volume and solid bark on my F5L. I had been using J75's for several years prior to that. I also like their guitar strings .56 -.13 Phosphor Bronze on my D18 S. The last a bit longer with my ph, playing style and habits. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I should say I'm not sure it's "tarnish" per se. Whatever it is leaves an imprint on the string sleeve. However it's most pronounced on the unwound leader. Also, no evidence of it on the plain strings.

any comments?
    I really, really like them. I prefer their "new" sound to the sound of a new set of J74's, and they maintain that tone very consistently for a good long while. I've been off on a DR jag for a while now (DragonSkins, which I also really dig), but I just bought a couple of sets of Mangans to put on in the near future. Also got some GHS Bobby Osbornes, which I'll give a go before I go back to the Mangans, but the Mangans and DRs have been the best of what I've tried in the last couple of years.
    Mitch Russell

I've noted the new thing string makers have done is Vacuum Packaging .. Ive often considered the Seal-A-Meal
    DIY packing with a moisture absorbing desiccant Pouch a good step.

fighting tarnishing that way ..

Next : a string factory in orbit and so never exposed to any oxygen until the customer opens the package.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Misunderstood string issue....bad post on my end

Jim,
    I had that issue. I called them and they sent me replacement sets and a t-shirt. They were very nice. They have changed their packaging too. At the least the replacements I got were different from the bad packs I opened.

I put a set on my Hilburn mandolin tonight. I like them. Great tone right away. My Girouard mandola came with Mangan strings and the original set is still on it. Looking forward to seeing how long they last on the mandolin.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Still sounding good. Put some on the Heiden about the same time and tHey might need changing but they still sound great. I'm officially switching to Mangan strings.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

I started using Mangans on guitar a year or two... Actually at least two years ago. A few weeks ago I put a mandolin set on my A, and they do sound great. Very balanced, nice feeling tension. Don't know how long they last.

And, CM has absolutely excellent customer service. I thought I had an issue with a wound string the first time I put them on a guitar; as though the winding were not actually tight. I emailed and Curt sent me a bunch of replacement sets along with a postage-paid mailer to send the offending string back. That was on a set I told him my guitar shop had given me to try... I've had zero issues since.

S