Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicks dig guys who play an instrument

Default Chicks dig guys who play an instrument

You know, many of us (most of us) may have started playing to impress or win over a female.

But, it has worked for the most part! I also have fell in love with just playing the instrument, but it never has hurt in any way to have that ability.

I also happen to just absolutely love women who play an instrument.....
    AKA "golfunit"

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chicks dig guys who play an instrument

It's a myth. But it sure is a popular one, and enough guys have believed it - and continue to believe it - that hundreds of instruments get bought by hopeful rascals every day. It's good for the makers and music shops, anyway. But yes, where there's life, there's hope.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    It's a myth. But it sure is a popular one, and enough guys have believed it - and continue to believe it - that hundreds of instruments get bought by hopeful rascals every day.
    You are partially right, but I do believe a good part of the myth. Have you ever met a woman who was just incensed that you played an instrument? Probably not..... :-)
    AKA "golfunit"

Some do,some don't !. I've been out with girls who thought that it was really neat to go out with a guy who played an instrument & some girls who couldn't have cared less - did i care !!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have dreamed of that, too. But most of those who really came running never even knew I played music, so there must have been something different that attracted them. I guess it was my style

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

You don't see triangle or jaws harp players pulling them!!!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

8. The following members say thank you to G7MOF for this post:

Good thing my wife was attracted to a guy who played an instrument... 39.9 years ago! Of course, now I play too much or have too many instruments, and when I get together with guitarist friends, we talk about how we treat our nails...

Quote Originally Posted by John Garcia View Post
    You are partially right, but I do believe a good part of the myth. Have you ever met a woman who was just incensed that you played an instrument? Probably not..... :-)
    Maybe it's the way I play? Or maybe it's just a banjo thing ...

"Weird Al" Yankovic has often been quoted as saying he wanted to play guitar in high school, but his parents got him accordion lessons instead, because they knew what a chick magnet the accordion was.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

12. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

I have been married for 18 years, so I'm quite rusty on dating and trying to woo females, but as I recall from my younger days, paying an instrument is not a "chick magnet" by itself. It can add to their interest if they already find you interesting or attractive, because it adds a level of creativity and depth to the allure they already perceive. But only if they value musicianship, or see you as a confident and competent performer. Sometimes artistic expression is attractive when it's part of the overall package. But it never really worked for me when dating. I guess I don't have much else going for me to draw the ladies.

Just a few days ago, though, I stopped at a drive-thru for a burger on my way home from a jam, and had my mandolin in the passenger floorboard. The young female carhop saw it and started asking me all kinds of questions and flirting with me. I thought it was kind of funny.

14. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Hmmmmm . a question about the behavior of women on a site primarily composed of male readers ..... I don't know anything about women for sure and what I suspect I keep to myself. Soooo ..... Here's a question ......To the few ladies here ... is your instrument a dude magnet? R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UsuallyPickin For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    To the few ladies here ... is your instrument a dude magnet? R/
    Isn't that women-with-mandolins thread a sufficient answer?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bertram Henze For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Have you ever met a woman who was just incensed that you played an instrument?
    If I ever meet one who shows any interest I'll ask.

Now, to be fair, it does seem that music is very appealing to women. Many of them like to dance, and music is an essential part of that. But how much of this attraction is transferred to the person(s) producing the music is anyone's guess. Many people, both genders, find creativity very inspiring, and when they perceive this in others they respond in various ways, including the one which men hope to inculcate in women. But it seems there's something else going on, something that has more of an effect than talent, or perception of talent, something like charisma or magnetism. This explains why all too often women are not attracted to the mandolinist, but rather the singer or the drummer.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

As a long-time whistle/flute player on the contra dance scene, I can categorically say that it's not true for wind players. Maybe for the fiddler, and almost definitely for the guitarist. Hard to say about mandolin, as the best local player we had was also the perennial ZZ Top lookalike contest winner. Whatever it was, it worked for him.

You know, many of us (most of us) may have started playing to impress or win over a female.
    John Lennon said in an interview once, something to the effect that he started playing in a band so he could get "a little ex-tree", which I took to mean a little extra--of course it helps if you pronounce it with a Liverpool accent and roll your eyes and smile while saying it and are in fact, John Lennon!

I should add, just like the disclaimer at the start of the Saturday Night Live reruns, things that were funny back then might not be politically correct today and may even offend people.....

Back in my garage band Rock drummer days, the local truism was that bass players got most of the attention, because they had the least to do in the band, and could spend all their time making eye contact.

... as long as it buys them a house with the proceeds..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

As an ex-chick who has been a hen longer than I care to admit, my advice to the lovelorn nephews has been to learn how to dance. There are never enough male partners, and even if you are otherwise socially inept, it's a way to get in the vicinity of a girl, which playing an instrument may not accomplish. My other advice is to develop a foreign accent which has an unaccountably pheromonic allure.

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sleet For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I'm not much of a player and I'll echo Sleet above. A year or so ago at a Festival, my daughter played cello just off stage while the contra dance was going on. The band members are friends. Their guitarist, Max, said he was jealous of ME. While he played for hours I got to dance with all the ladies in the tent.

If you're hoping to woo a lady, work on your social graces, manners, and pay attention to her at least as much as you practice your scales and tunes.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    If you're hoping to woo a lady, work on your social graces, manners, and pay attention to her at least as much as you practice your scales and tunes.
    And compliment her shoes. If she isn't wearing any compliment her feet. Isn't the cafe great?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

29. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

ach, you soon get bored of the screaming adulation...

(as if)
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

31. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Blog Entries

Yes, knowing how to dance does lead to having actual contact with women. The fact that the music being danced to is originating from you up on stage or over in the corner may be too esoteric or abstract to have an effect in the tangible world, and thus not matter much. You may have to try harder than just play well in order to attract attention and get them to notice how wonderful you are. I'm not suggesting you wear a turkey costume or a tutu, since you want to impress them with your musical ability, but if it gets them to look your way and listen ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paul Simon Turkey.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	244.7 KB 
ID:	136506 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheech - Not!.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	136505
    Last edited by journeybear; Jul-19-2015 at 2:24pm.

33. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    a question about the behavior of women on a site primarily composed of male readers ..... I don't know anything about women for sure and what I suspect I keep to myself. Soooo ..... Here's a question ......To the few ladies here ... is your instrument a dude magnet? R/
    Has it occurred to you that there might be way more ladies here than you think? A whole lot of members have generic names and no photo of themselves in their avatar....

35. The following members say thank you to GDAE for this post:

Cindy 

I think this thread proves the OP's point as well as on illustration below...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mandochick2.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	136513
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Chicks do dig mandolins. Thanks Jim.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

39. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post: