Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chicks dig guys who play an instrument

Default Re: Chicks dig guys who play an instrument

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    I dunno about the rest of the readers, but I'm wishing you well and sending you a couple arpeggios to lift your spirits.
    +1 (likewise).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Chicks do dig mandolins. Thanks Jim.
    I don't know, guys ... looks to me like those chicks are ignoring Jim and the mandolin. I always think it's funny when men talk about what it is that attracts women. Some of us know the secret: it's hefty balding older guys with beards. QED.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    I always think it's funny when men talk about what it is that attracts women. Some of us know the secret: it's hefty balding older guys with beards. QED.
    I'm not hefty, balding and bearded, so that's why I'm no babe magnet, right? Actually, I've been wondering what women saw in me during my wasted youth. I had no good prospects till I was 28 or so, yet girls with brains and money wanted me, with or without my guitar. I'm perplexed now. I have no comprehension. Of course, whatever it was about me did not attract *all* women (or gay men) -- and neither is any other guy universally attractive. So the answer to the old Freudian question, "What does Woman want?" is, "That depends on the woman; ask HER, not me." I know what my current long-time wife wants -- I'm the only guy who doesn't bore her. Being pleasant and interesting goes far.

But I digress. Of *course* mandolins (and CBOMs) (and banjo-ukes) (and zithers) are babe magnets. For some babes. Not for others. Might be dog magnets too. Depends on the dog, yah? And on how the instruments smell. Hey, that's the ticket! Drench your axes with pheromones, guys! And not just Ye Olde English Furniture Polish either, but real stuff, maybe some ambergris or civet musk, oh yeah. Then stand upwind of your targets. Good luck.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    hefty balding older guys with beards.
    I am all of that. Only problem is that, as an older guy, running from hoardes of screaming groupies is getting harder every day...

Blog Entries

Alas, poor Bertram...
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

As this Ad campaign has re-enforced to the public consumer; it's all about $$ and Power that attracts most women (regardless of age apparently as the "cool" rich old guy has all the hot young babes!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stay-thirsty-my-friends_mando.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	136723
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Well, in this internet age of infinite information, many women (or men) quickly find out by one way or the other that most musicians are total lunatics with many, many hang ups of all sorts, at least much more than "normal" non-instrumentalists. That has been my experience anyway!

Sean

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I dunno. If by "non-instrumentalists" you're including singers, drummers, and banjo pickers, then I dispute this, as they've got their hangups! Oh, wait ... you did say, "normal" ... Hmmm ... Never mind.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    ...that most musicians are total lunatics with many, many hang ups of all sorts, at least much more than "normal" non-instrumentalists...
    Hey! I resemble that! You've gone from preachin' to meddlin' pardner...LOL!

Also Sean, the flip-side of your point is that it's well known that "goils" love them bad boys...
    Last edited by DataNick; Jul-27-2015 at 3:08pm. Reason: additional point
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

10. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

sgrexa 

Quote Originally Posted by chuck3 View Post
    good grief, don't even think about apologizing for being yourself, just play on brother ...

however, you could be less wordy in your posts :-)
    Hey we can't all be masters of the one-liner like OldSausage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    Being a loner is a side effect of being different, not a basis for ironing out difference. Our own identity is always top priority, can't give that up for company.
    I started a loner's club one time, but nobody showed up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I dunno. If by "non-instrumentalists" you're including singers, drummers, and banjo pickers, then I dispute this, as they've got their hangups! Oh, wait ... you did say, "normal" ... Hmmm ... Never mind.
    I'm assuming that by "non-instrumentalists" he meant bass players.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Jenner View Post
    Alas, poor Bertram...
    I knew him well ... uh ... PJ?
    belbein

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    As this Ad campaign has re-enforced to the public consumer; it's all about $$ and Power that attracts most women (regardless of age apparently as the "cool" rich old guy has all the hot young babes!)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stay-thirsty-my-friends_mando.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	136723
    But the size of his mandolin at last reveals what a ridiculous dwarf he must be, selling homoeopathic doses of beer.

For purely logical reasons, there also must be hidden mandolin content in this ad, but I haven't found it yet...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

15. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, it could be a mandola, or mandocello ... or a slightly careless PhotoShop job.

As to your other advertisement, it intends to show the attractiveness of a different axe than a mandolin. I concede there could be mandolin content, but there is a lot of distraction.

Stay scrolly, my friend.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

".......So far, so good, and even better. Perhaps this stuff does work, after all! "

Or maybe you're just a nice guy?

and BTW we ARE all Salamanders....at least we often operate from that lizard part of the brain.
    Gan Ainm
    AKA Colin, Athens GA and Nelson Co. VA when I can

18. The following members say thank you to Gan Ainm for this post:

Blog Entries

You probably shouldn't have said that. Bertram is bound to find an appropriately inappropriate image.

20. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Blog Entries

So playing the musical instrument attracts a potential date. Then what? Is he/she a musician too. Could be yes could be no. Best to date the musician.

Note on political correctness - Since I wrote from personal experience, I wrote it from my perspective. But I don't see anything in here that is invalidated by changing the genders.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Best to date the musician.
    That's what I keep telling them!!!

Given that the world population has exceeded 7 billion people, I think it is safe to assume that there must be some form of mutual attraction between the sexes other than being a musician.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    Given that the world population has exceeded 7 billion people, I think it is safe to assume that there must be some form of mutual attraction between the sexes other than being a musician.
    Ya think? But how do those non-musical relationships end up? Are they of the same quality?
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

Blog Entries

I'm absotively posilutely sure a lot of people - if not most - don't give a damn about music. Not really. They are perfectly happy to have a DJ play "The Chicken Dance," "The Hokey Pokey," and something they can do the electric slide to at their wedding receptions. And they just make more. And more.

I'm absotively posilutely sure a lot of people - if not most - don't give a damn about music. Not really. They are perfectly happy to have a DJ play "The Chicken Dance," "The Hokey Pokey," and something they can do the electric slide to at their wedding receptions. And they just make more. And more.
    I think part of the reason is that with a band it may be harder to please everybody--but with a DJ you may be able to please mroe people.
    But maybe that's not it, but that's based on comments I've heard at weddings & company Christmas parties.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Blog Entries

You missed the point. I'm saying most people take music for granted. Seems they don't even understand music is made by people, not some sort of music-playing electrical device. That was just an example.

28. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

You missed the point. I'm saying most people take music for granted. Seems they don't even understand music is made by people, not some sort of music-playing electrical device. That was just an example.
    I agree. The advent of radio, television, and the internet has changed the common perception of music. It's no longer something that the average person perceives as coming from a musician. It just magically comes from a speaker, and they can pick from any one of millions of songs or tunes. People are exposed to music all day long, everywhere they go. Live music just doesn't have the same air of being special like it did a century ago. This isn't to say that people don't appreciate live music necessarily, but they do take it for granted.

The worst part of it is that people are so used to hearing recorded music that's cleaned up and perfected in a studio, that they dislike the sound of raw, live music that isn't pre-mixed and sanitized.

Blog Entries

It's the same with most of the arts. Painting, sculpture, photography, dance... I don't believe that's a particularly new phenomenon either. Bards, musicians, storytellers and artists have been special from ancient times. Being a musician isn't always a lucrative or appreciated career. Ask the Hurdy Gurdy man freezing in the snow.

I don't think we make music to satisfy the masses so much as we make music to get it out of us. If folks like it, BONUS. At least those of us who play for it's own sake.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +