Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

Default Re: The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

It was an honor to chat with Graham during his research and show him a couple of my instruments. I'm in for a leatherbound copy and I hope this goes over the top!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

There doesn't seem to be an applause smiley otherwise I would have used it. I was just thinking this morning what could have been her name... Thanks, Martin for those personal recollections...

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Ah, Hélène ... we had a whirlwind romance, but the heat of our passion should have given us a clue that it would burn out sooner or later. Although left-handed, self-taught and a bit unorthodox in her technique, she was nonetheless a formidable soloist: her expressive intensity made up for anything she lacked in the way of formal musicianship. We parted ways in a heated disagreement over the ideal fingering for Calace's Bolero. I entertained hopes of patching things up with Hélène in the aftermath, but when I finally was discharged from the hospital after six weeks, she had moved out of the flat.

Graham is close to being able to publish a valuable history of our instrument. I believe in the value of this history and I too am in for a leather bound copy. I believe this book will prove to be a valuable resource to mandolin players in the future. I hope that many of you also see the value in the work Graham has put into this and will help to make this resource become a reality.

If you agree, don't let this opportunity slip away.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

<enough, please. bumping this thread is not a fund-raising effort>
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Aug-16-2015 at 2:30pm. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Ah, Hélène ... we had a whirlwind romance, but the heat of our passion should have given us a clue that it would burn out sooner or later. Although left-handed, self-taught and a bit unorthodox in her technique, she was nonetheless a formidable soloist: her expressive intensity made up for anything she lacked in the way of formal musicianship. We parted ways in a heated disagreement over the ideal fingering for Calace's Bolero. I entertained hopes of patching things up with Hélène in the aftermath, but when I finally was discharged from the hospital after six weeks, she had moved out of the flat.
    So YOU'RE the Martin that she always talked about in her sleep!
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

6. The following members say thank you to Marcus CA for this post:

Blog Entries

Here's a link to the radio interview.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Blog Entries

Thanks to Scott and the radio interview, there has been a big boost in backers in the last few days but many more are still needed. There is still one of the leather bound hardback volumes left. ....tick tock... tick tock...
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Been a bit slow with this, but I'm now officially 'pledged', and am looking forward (fingers crossed) to another fine book to add to my McDonald collection. Just wish the postage was from Canberra...

I know the price in AU$ is high, but the reality of publishing this sort of book is that most of the market is in the US, and it makes much more sense to get the printing done there. The Kickstarter graph reads at 66% funded with five days to go, so it is looking possible at this point. As always, thanks and appreciation to those who have put their hands up and of course, feel free to tell your friends about the campaign. A few more Facebook shares would certainly help.

Cheers from Graham and Hélène

Quote Originally Posted by tom.gibson View Post
    Been a bit slow with this, but I'm now officially 'pledged', and am looking forward (fingers crossed) to another fine book to add to my McDonald collection. Just wish the postage was from Canberra...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    the reality of publishing this sort of book is that most of the market is in the US, and it makes much more sense to get the printing done there.
    Of course, I understand.

Anyway, what price can you put on the gaze of Hélène?

Blog Entries

Too bad that Kickstarter cannot extend the time window if the the amount contributed starts to reach a point where it seems success is only a matter of a little more time?

I for one would be content to accept an e-copy (like for Kindle) and to leave my pledge in the project -- with a hard copy maybe time later or not. But I know that could be tricky as e-copies of everything tend to get distributed in manners not good for business.

Hoping it breaks over the top!!!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Marilynn Mair just plugged the Kickstarter project in her Summer 2015 electronic newsletter. I'm already in, but I hope the plug will attract some additional supporters.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Graham, if it doesn't work out are you able, or even inclined, to re-launch the campaign?

The Kickstarter is going to be close. We still have a few days to go so we will see what happens. The Kickstarter folks reckon that 30 days is a good length for a campaign and has the best chance of success. The target was pretty carefully worked out based on printing and postage costs, also keeping in mind the current volatility of the Australian $ exchange rate (The A$ currently buys around US.73c) but that varies with the state of the Shanghai share market as much as anything!

If I can't get the book printed at the moment, I will have an ebook version available within a month or so. It is almost as much work to get an ebook (an epub rather than a pdf) ready as it is a print version, but they should be available from my website soon. I certainly want to get a print version published and exploring alternate ways to do that if the Kickstarter doesn't hit the target. Not giving up hope yet.

Cheers

How did you get your previous books published?
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    How did you get your previous books published?
    Our Federal arts funding body (The Australia Council) sold a Guarnerius cello for a lot of money back around 2003 and they allocated those funds for supporting musical instrument projects. I got about $4K in the first round, nominally to write the book on bouzoukis, but used it for the initial print run. I suspect my project might have been one of only a few that actually produced anything, so a few years later when the last of the cello funds were offered I was able to get a second grant for around $10K which I used to do a bigger print run in China of the mandolin building book and scored a distribution deal through a mid sized publisher/distributor in Chicago, IPG. They have been handling wholesale distribution of that book since 2009 and are just about sold out of the first print run. The very modest income from that has been funding the research and travel for this new book. I did approach them to see if they were interested in publishing The Mandolin, but their opinion was that it would never sell enough to be viable for them. It is not cheap to print a 400+ page book with a colour image on just about every page at the quality I think it deserves. I am sure a big publishing company could get a better deal from printers than I can, but without a bigger publisher behind me I can see how I can do that. And it is never helped by the fact that I am on the far side of the world and multiple time-zones away.

Ahh, well

Thanks for all the work, Graham! I'm in.
    EdSherry

AKA Billgrass

I did my part. Looking forward to the book!

Graham, I made my pledge and eagerly await the book!
    2008 Big Muddy M-0
    2012 The Loar LM-400 wth CA bridge

"Sing joyfully; make music with the mandolin. Sing a new song; Play skillfully with joy!"
    (Adapted from Psalm 33)

40 hours to go on the Kickstarter, closing off midday on Saturday Australian time, around midnight on Friday in the US. It is looking possible but not quite definite as yet. Thanks to Scott for the support and all the Cafe folk who have pledged. As a famous Australian boxer was known to tell his fans: " I loves youse all"

Graham,

Did I read that you were increasing the hardback print run? I am happy to upgrade my pledge from softback to hardback if that helps. Good luck!

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt View Post
    Graham,

Did I read that you were increasing the hardback print run? I am happy to upgrade my pledge from softback to hardback if that helps. Good luck!

Kevin
    I did and they all went as well. But thank you for the offer. That is very generous. I was hoping there would be one left over for my mother

I'm in, Graham! I had to get CC privileges from my prudent wife All, I have read a draft in its entirety, and it's unlike anything out there in its range and scope. To me, it was worth it for the exclusive photo of Anna-Maria and Raffaele Calace (grandson of the famous musician/maker of the turn of the century), still turning out wonderful handmade instruments. But there are abundant surprises everywhere!

25. The following members say thank you to Scot63 for this post:

I too am willing to upgrade his order from a softbound version to a hardbound version if that's feasible.
    EdSherry

So close with 25 hours to go. I received an email from the Fretboard Journal today with news, etc. included in there was a link to this campaign as well. I have been in. Good Luck Graham!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    40 hours to go on the Kickstarter, closing off midday on Saturday Australian time, around midnight on Friday in the US. It is looking possible but not quite definite as yet. Thanks to Scott for the support and all the Cafe folk who have pledged. As a famous Australian boxer was known to tell his fans: " I loves youse all"
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole