Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Default The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

As some of you will know, for the past several years I have been working on a book about the history of mandolins called The Mandolin - a history. It is just about ready for the printers and to pay for the printing I have launched a Kickstarter project. I need to sell around 500 copies to pay for the printing which is the reason for using Kickstarter. It will be published in full colour, with over 400 pages and more than 450 illustrations (mostly photos of mandolins), in an 8" x 10" softcover, perfect bound book. The pre-ordered copies will be mailed out directly from the printer (who is in Michigan) directly they roll off the press.

The book would not have been possible without the generous assistance of many of the Mandolin Cafe regulars who have supplied information and photos of some delightful mandolins. A huge Thank You to all of them.

It is a book about the instruments themselves, and the people who have made them, rather than the music played on them. There are a couple of draft chapters and the Table of Contents available as pdf downloads from my website, or you can go directly to Kickstarter page where there are links as well. Please feel free to spread the word on other instrument forums and social media.

It is all a bit exciting after six years work.

Thanks

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: The Mandolin - a history on Kickstarter

Looks great and congrats Graham!

I'll be down for a copy...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Damn. You beat me to it. But congrats and when the money loosens up I'll be down for a copy.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

That looks like a great book - best of luck!

I'll get one.

That book looks awesome,I'll buy a copy no problem...

Just did my part. Good luck with your project.
    Cheers,
    Dale

I've been really looking forward to this Graham. Wishing you a smashing success with the Kickstarter and can't wait to get my copy when it's ready. Cheers

9. The following members say thank you to Clement Barrera-Ng for this post:

I am now on board. Good luck.
    Bobby Bill

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Interestingly enough, my bass-playing friend saw this on facebook and posted it to me. Small world! I have to look a this more closely, but at first glance it looks intriguing, and this could well be a way to get the ball rolling the rest of the way. I've been thinking of starting a kickstarter or GoFundMe campaign myself to get a recording project going. Not sure if there's enough interest out there.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I have made a pledge for the $60 AUD version.

Well done Graham!
    Nic Gellie

Blog Entries

I'm curious about one thing - your choice for a cover photo. It seems odd to me that the model is holding the instrument wrongly - in the opposite direction from the usual, and not in a playing position. She is obviously very beautiful, indeed, beguiling, but the instrument's attitude has me a bit befuddled. I can't help thinking a book about mandolins should display the proper position. Also, my editor's eye is drawn to the one lower case letter in the font, the e in "the." That looks like an error to me, even if that is part of the font's design. These may be minor concerns, and you may have already signed off on them. I thought you still might be interested in feedback, and I offer these observations with the kindest of intentions.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I am in! Thanks Graham.
    MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

Thank you all for your support. It is greatly appreciated and please spread the word through your other social media networks. As for the cover, I just like the photo It is an old French postcard, and there are a bunch of other mandolin themed postcards used through the book to fill in blank pages at the end of chapters. What is interesting about the Kickstarter thing is the flurry of emails from people offering, at some small cost, to assist in contacting potential supporters. I should have expected that a side industry would have grown up around the whole crowd sourced fund raising approach.

Cheers

16. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

Pledged! Hope this kicks off!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    What is interesting about the Kickstarter thing is the flurry of emails from people offering, at some small cost, to assist in contacting potential supporters. I should have expected that a side industry would have grown up around the whole crowd sourced fund raising approach.

Cheers
    Yes, there are lots of people playing on the edges of these new web-based sources of income. I wrote an application and posted it to the Windows App Store. The first email I got wasn't from Microsoft saying the app has been accepted and posted in the store, but by a third party that wanted to help me promote the app!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Blog Entries

Really. I'm no longer too surprised at the rise of such ventures which appeal to the "entrepreneurial" spirit of people looking to make some easy money from people who don't know any better.

Yes, some of those postcards feature extraordinarily beautiful women, and of course, the mandolins are just props. There have beenvmany posted hereabouts over the years. This one is probably my favorite.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	womanmando2.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	136617

After a day and a half we are up to 28% funded, but still need lots more people to buy a copy. I could suggest that it will be available in time for Christmas

I occasionally wonder what became of the girl on the postcard.

Name:	girl_staring_title_small.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	136634

I'm in.
    Cary Fagan

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

As am I.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    I occasionally wonder what became of the girl on the postcard.

Name:	girl_staring_title_small.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	136634
    We loves her!
    Cheers,
    Dale

It is that intense stare and her haunting beauty which got me. Scott has another from the same photo session in his collection somewhere on the site here (can't find it at the moment).
    The project is now 36% funded and all four of the mandolins I have offered to build have gone, along with almost all of the fancy leather bound presentation copies of the book. That is all a great help, but I still need to have orders for another 400 copies of the book to make the whole thing work. Thanks to those who have already pledged and please keep encouraging your friends. The few folks who have been reading the drafts for have have been very positive and complimentary, so I think you will find it an entertaining read.

Cheers

Graham, HERE is the post card tour, and here is another of the young lady on your cover.

Name:	mandolin19.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	136681
    Bill Snyder

26. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

I'm in, Graham. Best of luck.

Blog Entries

Having had access to a draft copy of this important book for the last eighteen months, I'd like to present some of my thoughts.

This impeccably researched and thorough work on the history of mandolin family instruments contains over 400 well chosen photographs and illustrations. These often fascinating images are integral to the telling of the story and provide the reader with new delights on every page.

I believe 'The Mandolin - A History' is destined to become as important to mandolin family history as the instruments and builders that shaped that history. The staggering amount of detail and depth of research that have gone into it's creation, combined with the carefully chosen pictures book will continue to entertain, educate and inspire for generations to come.

In the book, Graham takes us with him on journey of discovery from ancient Mesopotamia right through to modern day Italy and follows the instrument as it embarks on it's trans-Atlantic voyage where the American love affair with the mandolin begins. Whether you are fan of the Vinaccias or Calaces, the baroque Neapolitans or Spanish bandurrias, the Irish bouzoukis or the the Algerian mandole, American carved or European flat, there is something in this book for you. Gibson aficionados will find plenty of good information and eye candy, as will fans of the Lyon and Healys, Washburns, Kays, Regals - there are pictures and stories of all of them. Boston, New York and Chicago are all well covered. This is a comprehensive exploration of mandolin history.

Graham deserves much kudos for producing this thoughtfully put together and intelligently presented treatise. This book deserves, and I believe will receive the support and respect of the global mandolin community.

Being both readable and scholarly, "The Mandolin: A History" venerates the mandolin and it's builders and is clearly a book born of a passion for the subject. I commend it to you highly.
    Last edited by Pete Jenner; Jul-27-2015 at 12:51pm. Reason: Case
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pete Jenner For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Well said Pete!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

31. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post: